User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
I clutched, down shifted and hit the brakes quicker than I thought I knew how. The wheel turned to the left and I was off the bike.
Don't waste time clutching or downshifting. Nor blowing the horn.

Brake quickly but brake smoothly. "The wheel" didn't turn left. You turned it. Or you skidded it and it slid out from under you to the left. Did you lock up the rear wheel? Or lock up the front? You need to use both brakes, but you need to avoid hammering them on. Brake smooth and hard on the rear, then ease off the rear as the weight transfers forward. At the same time, brake smooth on the front and increase the front as the weight transfers to it from the rear. And keep your eyes up and looking ahead, never down. Keep in mind that the traction of any tire is proportional to the weight on that tire, so you can increase the braking force on the front without skidding as weight is shifted to that tire--and you gott'a reduce the braking force on the rear. As long as the tire is on the ground, it'll help you stop in a shorter distance.

Practice emergency braking. Find a safe spot and practice short braking where you end up braking in a very short distance without skidding either tire. Start at 15 mph. After several very good short stops, increase to 20 mph. When that is working right, increase to 25 mph. When you're braking very short without skidding, keep stepping the speed up.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but generally speaking, you're wrong on this. In just about every real world situation, a car will stop in a shorter distance than a motorcycle.
Typically a bike will stop in a shorter distance than a car on a dry surface and longer on a wet surface.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Where do these crazy ideas come from?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,191
To the OP, glad you're okay. Most accidents happen in the first 1000 miles, so you're right in there with the statistics. Sounds like you got off easy, could easily have been worse.

Obviously need to increase your spacing, and get some riding pants! I went down on my first bike a couple of years ago when I started riding in the first 1000 miles, and ended up sliding across the pavement on lowside. I could feel my knees "Surfing" on my knee pads. Have been a big avocate for wearing riding pants since.

It's all a learning experience, and you got out of that one cheap. Learn from it, move on and keep smiling! Thanks for sharing.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
marine_mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
To the OP, glad you're okay. Most accidents happen in the first 1000 miles, so you're right in there with the statistics. Sounds like you got off easy, could easily have been worse.

Obviously need to increase your spacing, and get some riding pants! I went down on my first bike a couple of years ago when I started riding in the first 1000 miles, and ended up sliding across the pavement on lowside. I could feel my knees "Surfing" on my knee pads. Have been a big avocate for wearing riding pants since.

It's all a learning experience, and you got out of that one cheap. Learn from it, move on and keep smiling! Thanks for sharing.
I have the pant's but didn't wear them because they dont fit over my jeans. No excuse, I know. They would have prevented the rash. Lots of lessons learned on this one. I know when I got thrown off, I tumbled three times. I got up and did a Tom Arnold body check (from the scene in "true Lies with Schwarzenegger). It was at that point that I got pissed enough to basically lift and turn the bike like it was my mountain bike. Adrenaline does awesome things. Again, lots of lessons learned. I got too cocky and rode beyond my abilities.
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #21
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but generally speaking, you're wrong on this. In just about every real world situation, a car will stop in a shorter distance than a motorcycle.
+1. Four wheels, four sets of brakes and few worries about crashing, I'll bet on the car every time.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #22
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Ouch

Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, I think I just broke three ribs laughing so hard. My wife now thinks I'm even more of an idiot! Can I use this line in my sig line? Please!

On another note, you must have gone down really hard to break ribs in a pressure suit!! Animals very suddenly in front of me scare the ever-loving crap out of me when riding. I bounced off a dog in my younger days off-road at about 45mph and got very bloody wearing my full MX gear. I can't imagine if it would have been faster and on the street.

Also, to the OP I just had the pants discussion with my Dad, and then sent him some decent over-pants. He said "I only just kind of cruise on little back roads anyway, jeans are fine!" It's hard to raise parents.... Definitely wear them. You wouldn't have had hardly any injury if you'd have had them on!
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #23
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Typically a bike will stop in a shorter distance than a car on a dry surface and longer on a wet surface.
This fact alone neglects the additional reaction time needed by the operator of the second vehicle to engage the brakes. I don't have the charts handy, but I'm sure someone can dig out the reaction time/ distance for braking at 25 mph and see if would consume the 1.5 car lengths separating the motorcycle from the SUV. As posted earlier this may be a simple matter of following too closely.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #24
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 295
DRZ400 stopping distance (60-0 mph) is 137 feet. Typical Ford Explorer is 122 feet.
The OP didn't say exactly what kind of SUV, but the Explorer is pretty representative of the group.
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #25
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,318
Glad you were able to get up and ride away! and...I fixed it for you and thank you for your service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post
And finally, in this pic...you can see how my knees were ground down a bit too naked you are.

Finally I'll say it again All The Gear All The Time. This could have been a lot worse.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #26
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
When traveling at 25 mph here is one estimate of the distance covered during the time a human senses the need to stop and actually engages the brakes.

A vehicle travels approximately 1.5 ft per second for each mile per hour. 25 x 1.5 = 37.5. Add to that the average human response time to react to stimuli and apply the brake (1.5 sec again) = 56.25
Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #27
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
+1. Four wheels, four sets of brakes and few worries about crashing, I'll bet on the car every time.

I did some research.

I checked something easy, like a Honda Accord. 60-0, 127 feet. But different cars come with different results, some normal drivers were as little as 119 feet. I'm not interested in how fast a Porsche 996 stops.

I found this at BMWLT.com. It's a LARGE breakdown of a metric shit ton of bikes and their 60-0 stopping distance as compiled by Motorcycle Consumer News. Every brand from BMW to Indian to Kawasaki. It is a bit dated.

In fact, it turns out that bikes have the edge, although not much of one, and some cars may be able to outbrake some bikes.

Take a look for yourself:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=5785

Make sure you hit the + button immediately or your brain will seize.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #28
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Man, that sucks. Read up on braking, like lucifer said, squeeze the front brake lever, progressively. I try to practice it twice a month, it really does help. Sounds like you grabbed the front brake lever and lowsided. Hurts, don't it. Maybe since you have the DRZ, find some dirt and practice doing a stoppie while going down a slight hill, it has improved my braking tremendously.

This is excellent advice.

I hope the OP's knees fill in soon and he has a long, prosperous career in motorcyling.

You got away with a free crash. Only some roadrash. Like the fellow told JoeFromSF: we only have so many crashes in us, we gotta learn from each one.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
In fact, it turns out that bikes have the edge, although not much of one, and some cars may be able to outbrake some bikes.

Take a look for yourself:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=5785

Make sure you hit the + button immediately or your brain will seize.
+1.

When you add water to the road surface though, bikes lose their advantage. Bikes out brake cars on dry surfaces, and cars out brake bikes on wet surfaces.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #30
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I did some research.
Good data. I'm not disputing that bikes can have shorter braking distances in brake tests. Rather that when it comes to panic braking, a car will have the advantage. Many riders find it difficult to slam the anchors on hard in a panic situation and stay upright without ABS, as was the case with the OP. I've been there/done that myself, which is why all my bikes but my 250 DP have ABS.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote