User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #31
marine_mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Update

Well I finally got around to pulling the bike out of the shed. I pulled the hand guard off and it looked like this... I'll just take it to my work and throw it into a vice to straighten her up.

I straightened the front wheel and tightened down the bolts. Looks straight to me.

Last but not least.... my road rash is healing up quite well. I'd also like to note the visible shorts in the pic this time.
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #32
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
More Math

The MSF suggests a following distance of two seconds under good conditions (dry pavement, daytime.) A previous poster pointed out that you travel 1.5 feet/second for each mph. 1.5 X 25mph = 37.5 feet X 2 = 75 feet suggested following distance at 25 mph. This is approximately FIVE CAR LENGTHS.

The OP should practice counting seconds at various speeds. When the car ahead of you passes any kind of marker (pole, tree, sign) count "one thousand one, one thousand two..." Think you will find 2 seconds a comfortable following distance that gives you time to dodge potholes, etc. or brake to a stop without doing anything too dramatic if the car ahead does stop quickly.

Many riders curl a couple fingers over the brake lever in traffic - though the MSF does not approve - for a couple reasons: 1. it reduces "reaction time," and 2. you are much more likely to squeeze that brake lever than if you make a sudden 4-finger grab. See if that works for you on your bike.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #33
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
My math shows following distance needs to increase past 2 seconds at anything past 50mph and past 3 seconds over 70mph. This is assuming the car in front of you can turn into a brick wall at any moment.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #34
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
My math shows following distance needs to increase past 2 seconds at anything past 50mph and past 3 seconds over 70mph. This is assuming the car in front of you can turn into a brick wall at any moment.
Lmao if I thought about that all the time, I'd crash constantly! How bout just pay attention at all times to what all the cages are doing all around you. If they stop suddenly, you stop or avoid. Works well for me..sheesh!

blame it on the droid

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #35
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Lmao if I thought about that all the time, I'd crash constantly! How bout just pay attention at all times to what all the cages are doing all around you. If they stop suddenly, you stop or avoid. Works well for me..sheesh!

blame it on the droid
I'm just saying if you're following at 2 seconds at 60mph and the cage has a head on with an SUV, swerving is your only recourse. If you follow at 3 seconds then you have quick stop available as well as a swerve.

If I recall below 30 you can follow at 1 second, maybe it was below 25.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #36
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665
Quote:
Double that for dirt bikes with single disk front brakes and knobbies.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #37
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Glad you were able to get up and ride away! and...I fixed it for you and thank you for your service.
He's a Marine, they still have to wear those shorty short 70's style pt shorts. us Army types wear shorts that cover our knees Glad you're ok Mike.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
I'm just saying if you're following at 2 seconds at 60mph and the cage has a head on with an SUV, swerving is your only recourse. If you follow at 3 seconds then you have quick stop available as well as a swerve.

Ha no I get that. It's just a deficiency in my brain that does not allow me to think about things that way on a bike. There is nothing mathematical or pre-thought out for me. It's all seat of the pants feel. Did I mention that I've had many head injuries, hahaha! ghead:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #39
fldigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post
OK..so you got me on the pants part....
MOTGATT?

Most of the gear all of the time?

2012 K1600GTL - Silver, 2011 Concours 14 - Silver.
fldigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #40
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:

Very good point! Let's say you've seriously practiced your braking skills and can come to a complete stop from 60 mph in 135 feet - once you recognize the need to do so. That's where the highly variable reaction time comes in. If it takes you 1.5 seconds to see that head-on collision, you have travelled about 135 feet at 60 mph BEFORE you started braking. That 270 feet is almost exactly 3 seconds at 60 mph.

Another time where you should add seconds to your following distance is when you are following vehicles tailgating each other. If a deer (or?) jumps out, there is an excellent chance battered machines will block the whole road. Be nice to not add your bike and body to the mess.

I mentioned the "counting seconds" idea simply because it is an easy way to make sure you are not unintentionally taking chances you didn't intend to take. If you can accurately measure your following distance in car lengths, you are too close at any speed.

Also, consider having 4 seconds of road surface visible when rounding blind corners or cresting hills. Many consider that ridiculously slow - until they encounter the hay wagon or elk in the road and have 2 seconds (actually one second, if they have a one second reaction time) to take some action.

Just more food for thought.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #41
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 547
There are advantages to being old. Riding for a couple of decades on bikes with drum brakes means I still leave a huge space between me and the car ahead. My old BMW really was unstoppable.