Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
linkweewee OP
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhasken View Post
Eddie has struggled for relevance his entire career as a driver or talking head.

It's because of his name. Which of these F1 drivers has the uncoolest name?

Ricardo Patrese
Fernando Alonso
Gilles Villeneuve
Aryton Senna
Eddie Cheever
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
The helicopter shot makes it look like there are quite a few empty seats.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
It's be cause of his name. Which of these F1 drivers has the uncoolest name?

Ricardo Patrese
Fernando Alonso
Gilles Villeneuve
Aryton Senna
Eddie Cheever
Combined with Eddie just not being a very good driver, guess he was doomed to mediocrity.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
linkweewee OP
tantum quantum

TK finally gets some luck going his way. Great race to watch.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Those safety side pods in front of the rear wheels make the cars look kind of ugly.
Yep! They sure are fugly cars with wimpy sounding powerplants. It seems to me they've taken away the charging, fire-breathing stallions and put turbo-charged Civic go-carts out there. The F1 cars stick like glue but the Indy cars spin around like tops. Very BLAH! cars...

Finishing under yellow is bogus, what about adopting the Nascar G-W-Y checkered flag finish?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
linkweewee OP
tantum quantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
...what about adopting the Nascar G-W-Y checkered flag finish?

For the mysterious final laps (wink wink nudge nudge) debris on the track? A hotdog wrapper just flew onto the track on lap 198: CAUTION!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,665
Good to see TK get the win after so many close and sometimes just plain depressing attempts! Could not have been won by a happier guy. Got Milk? Do now.

Uh, hot dog wrapper? Franchitti hit the wall...nothing new to see here that is how it has always been, it is not NASCAR. GWC crashfests are too dangerous in an open cockpit car. He scored the restart and earned the win.

shrineclown screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 06:38 AM
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,051
i was really hoping that local boy Ed Carpenter would pull it off. I'm still not sure what happened. I thought his dropping back was due to strategy. It was either poor strategy or his car just couldn't stay up front.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post

Finishing under yellow is bogus, what about adopting the Nascar G-W-Y checkered flag finish?
That is not the solution. I don't know what is, by G-W-Checkered sucks big time. As another poster said, let's NASCAR call a bs yellow rather than just having the best car run away with it. Contrived.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

The reason the Indy Cars spin is they are going faster centrifugally versus direction changes and slow and fast sections per F1. The engineers try to balance the downforce to maximize speed, that is, they take some away that they would be using on a road course for less resistance (faster) and better mpg. Indy is pretty flat as racetracks go and sometimes they take too much out. Variables change and you end up where you wish you were not.

The best car did win...he took them all on the restart and held it. You could stop the field...some cars would be better on the cooler tires than others and would win. Would the best car win? In that situation, yes it most likely would have if that was a known procedure in advance of the start of racing. Is it fair to the guys who prepared to run the final laps with full temp tires? They would emphatically say, no. It is not the first Indy to end under caution nor will it be the last.

The fastest car does not always win. It is a team sport and there are numerous factors that play into being the lead car at the checkered flag. The team who is prepared for the contingencies of the day is the best car and deserves to win. I really don't see there is an issue in that. There was an exciting three wide restart for the win. No one had TK covered when you know there is a chance of cars coming together on a restart and throwing the race into caution again. It was well played.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,197
The fastest car did not win the Indy 500.

There was no fastest car. There was only a car with the lead when the race was called.

The new formula for IndyCar produced a pack of interchangeable cars at the front. A lap more and the 2nd, 3rd or 4th placed car might well have won. They were all swapping the lead all day long, and there's no reason to think that wouldn't have continued for the last 6 laps or whatever remained when Franchitti lost it.

Personally, I didn't care for it. I like open wheel and I watch every IndyCar race. This is the first time I can remember the series having a race like this, where perhaps a third of the field was in touch with the lead and there was no best car to be found.

The force acting on a car when it turns a corner is called centripetal. It affects every car that takes a turn, even on a road course. Plenty of cars spin in F1.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #27
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

[QUOTE=wxwax;21522999]The force acting on a car when it turns a corner is called centripetal. /QUOTE]

Centrifugal force is the opposite reaction, from the centripetal force of the car in motion, that causes the car to flee the center (spin), professor Wax. The string breaks and the object flees its' intended path. If you want to get technical about it.

There were two laps left. No time for clean-up.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #28
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,197
Quote:
The centrifugal force is often mistakenly thought to cause a body to fly out of its circular path when it is released; rather, it is the removal of the centripetal force that allows the body to travel in a straight line as required by Newton's first law.

If there were in fact a force acting to force the body out of its circular path, its path when released would not be the straight tangential course that is always observed.
I agree, no time for cleanup.

68 lead changes. No fastest car. Just one car in the right place at the right time. Lucky Tony.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #29
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Centrifugal force is the opposite reaction, from the centripetal force of the car in motion, that causes the car to flee the center (spin), professor Wax. The string breaks and the object flees its' intended path. If you want to get technical about it.
Wrong. Cetrifugal fiorce is a fictiticious force. Centripetal force is a force required to maintain circular motion. Loss of centripetal force (in your example, the string breaks) and the object continues in a straight line; it doesn't "flee" the center. What is commonly called centrigal force is in reality, inertia.

A car "spins' (really a rotation about a vertical axis) because of a differential in the relative centripetal force between the front and rear of the vehicle (call it an increase or reduction in "grip"). The magnitude of the differential and the elapsed time for the differential to occur will determine how violent the spin.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Wrong, centrifugal force, per newton, is the opposite reaction from centripetal force. As he described it. Unless of course, you are smarter than Newton. Which may be possible. But I will stick with Newton's laws for now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: