Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #16
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
All GPS's track "live".

Point of interest data is really just a function of the map database you're using. City Select is pretty good, but it goes out of date pretty fast - I occasionally use it to find a hotel I already know about, but I seldom search out things from scratch.

The memory limit of the 60CS can be a bother on a really long trip (e.g., more than a week or two) if you't not bringing a computer to reload maps. The 76 is better, but still not as good as those with removable storage. But I've never been able to get over the ackward keyboard location of the 76, although that's a personal thing.

If the whole idea of using map databases and hooking up the GPS to the computer seems like a bother, the Quest II comes preloaded with a pretty good database and is about the most plug-n-play GPS I've seen.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #17
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane
BurnieM,

I understand that for Guatemala and all Central and South America is only the base map (world map!?) the one that is available. However, I visit North America about twice a year, and would be nice not to ask for directions every time a rent a car.

Thank you guys, the 76CS is looking very good right now....

regards,
Mane
The GPSmap 60C/CS and GPSmap 76C/CS will give you on screen instructions and a beep.

Only the GPSmap 276C or SP2610 will give you voice instructions.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #18
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
I just bought a Megellan "Meridian Gold" ...210.00. Large Black/wht. screen easy to read in daylight. It's a handheld, so it will double for trail hiking. It should do all I'll need..
Brian
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:19 PM   #19
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
Plus it's the GPS that everyone else says "oh, I want that one" when they see you have one.
Yep! I forgot to add, It just oozes with "Farklebility"!

Ride Safe,
Vettster
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #20
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705

Old 07-27-2005, 06:41 AM   #21
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Berlien
I have two on my bike, 2610 and 176.
I've always wondered, what's the point of having 2 different GPSs on your bike? I've seen this a bunch. Seems like total overkill. So ... what gives? Maybe I'll find that I need 2 GPSs as well (my wife would probably kill me if I even *joked* about this. :-) )

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:04 AM   #22
toban
ADD with bike habit

Oddometer: 166
2 GPS's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle
I've always wondered, what's the point of having 2 different GPSs on your bike? )
If you've got them you tend to use them. I run 2 when I'm on long rides because I have the 2610 and the older GPS V. I use them for different purposes. I keep them showing different screens.

I chose the 2610 over the 276 because the 2 gig CF card can hold all of North America down to street level detail. After years of mucking around with small proprietary cards and 50 map limits for the Streetpilot, and the 17 mb limit on the GPS V which I can outride in any direction in part of a day, the 2610 was the right choice for me.

No it is not as visible in bright sunlight, but that is a trade-off I was willing to make versus carrying more expensive hardware around or reloading software when I'm trying to make time.

Don't leave home without them. Dead on accurate speedometer as well, which is a huge advantage on the road, since you always know your exact speed.
IBA #258
'13 F700GS, '09 K1300GT, '08 Burgman Executive, '01 R1150GS,'00 K1200LT, '99 R1100S, '98 GL1500 F6 Valkyrie
toban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:06 AM   #23
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Garmin GS Map 76CS. It's got color and enough room (115mb) for all my maps.
Color is the big winner in these newer GPSr's.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 AM   #24
lmonsanto
MotoTurista

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by toban
If you've got them you tend to use them. I run 2 when I'm on long rides because I have the 2610 and the older GPS V.
Can the 2610 and GPS V use the same power cable? My DRZ is wired for my GPS V and I'd like to be able to reuse it? Thanks!
lmonsanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:35 AM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonsanto
Can the 2610 and GPS V use the same power cable? My DRZ is wired for my GPS V and I'd like to be able to reuse it? Thanks!
NO!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #26
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
I agree on the GPS speedo accuracy.

If the 2610 screen is washed out, make a sunshade like I did, works fine. It's velcro'd in place & you can also rotate it down to cover the whole screen to protect it from fuel when filling up:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...light=sunshade

Mine did not work out as tidy as the one in the link though but is just as effective. They work best on Nav.II's as the shade interferes slightly with touchscreen access - the extra button consol of the Nav.II bypasses this issue.
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #27
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
How much memory is OK?

I see than 60cs(56mb) a 76cs(115mb) have limited memory, and I wonder how usable are this limitations. Is posible to store street level information for a state such as California in 56mb? or 115MB is enough? Or is this amount of memory enough for just a city such as San Francisco or Boston?

Thank you for answering my questions, I really don't want to shot my self in the foot by going cheap... :

regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #28
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane
I see than 60cs(56mb) a 76cs(115mb) have limited memory, and I wonder how usable are this limitations. Is posible to store street level information for a state such as California in 56mb? or 115MB is enough? Or is this amount of memory enough for just a city such as San Francisco or Boston?
The maps for more populous areas naturally take up more room. To give you an idea about what fits where, an older (still my fave) version of Metroguide shows about 106mb to cover all of California, depending on how much overlap you want with areas adjacent to its borders. For comparison, all of Nevada takes less than 15mb, Colorado is less than 30mb, Texas is less than 120mb. Again, all numbers depend on how much border overlap you select in MapSource and, of course, which map software you're using.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #29
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by toban
If you've got them you tend to use them. I run 2 when I'm on long rides because I have the 2610 and the older GPS V. I use them for different purposes. I keep them showing different screens.

Don't leave home without them. Dead on accurate speedometer as well, which is a huge advantage on the road, since you always know your exact speed.
Hmmmm ... on my trip to Ottawa this weekend my eTrex registered a top speed of like 250 MPH. I did go a *little* fast on some stretches. But I don't think I was going *that* fast.

Well ... at least now I have an idea for why people run multiple GPSs.

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #30
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Arch described it well. On my most recent two-week trip, I was just able to fit all the City Select maps from WA to S. Calif that covered my backroads route in 50MB, including most of the Bay Area which consumed 15BM by itself. But I had no slop for detours or routing changes.

I'd characterize it this way: local riding or urban guidance around home - absolutely no issue. Few days to week-long rides within a few hundred miles - no problem. But start going on long out/back rides of a week or more that include some urban areas and you may run into issues. The more you are sure of your route, the less of a problem.

If you carry a computer with you and don't mind reloadig maps now and then it is not an issue. You can always ride a few days without running out of maps.

Personally, if these memory limits were a concern, I'd make a GPS with removable storage a requirement and insist that it be commonly available storage like CF or SD.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote