Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #31
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

No stop is ridiculous.
It is mpossible to score. I know Lineaway, your World section was good and you guys scored it fairly. I saw lots that weren't. This was a world event for crissakes. You don't have a 5 minute video for judges in any other world class sporting event and expect them to know what the hell is going on.

To monkey with the rules in an attempt to minimize the skill set of athletes is just stoopit.
Time limits in sections combined with sections that don't have artificial boxes to hop around in are IMO the way to go. Use the terrain and set the sections smart.

Go watch a trials demo with Aarons or Smage and see how interesting that would be no-stop! Really, no-one wants to see this except a few old timers that are nostalgic for the "way it was". I really don't care how it was and I don't have a wooden driver in my golf bag either.

This reminds me of when Indy Cars split into Indy and CART. That worked out great for that sport. If the FIM keeps dicking with the rules, this sport will suffer even more.

The no stop rule at WTC trials came about due to pressure on FIM from the trials manufacturers. I would guess the reason was something to do with them thinking this rule change would help them sell more bikes?

However while no stop at lower levels of competition obviously means the sport becomes much more of a realistic prospect for newcomers, I get the feeling that lack of well priced basic beginner friendly bikes, and complete lack of any proper promotion of the sport are likely to have much more of an effect than stop or no stop rules....................
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #32
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
The no stop rule at WTC trials came about due to pressure on FIM from the trials manufacturers. I would guess the reason was something to do with them thinking this rule change would help them sell more bikes?

However while no stop at lower levels of competition obviously means the sport becomes much more of a realistic prospect for newcomers, I get the feeling that lack of well priced basic beginner friendly bikes, and complete lack of any proper promotion of the sport are likely to have much more of an effect than stop or no stop rules....................

When we lay out our sections the easiest line is always test ridden "fingers off of clutch lever",The next line up may have one or two sections during the day that while easily ridden no stop it may be beneficial to be able to stop. As you move up in classes it gets tighter and bigger,What else can be done for "newcomers? Jesus,if you can make the damn thing move and stop you can get through a novice section,the Loop is usually tougher.

I think for the USA the best promotion would be to hold Trials events concurrently with Hare Scrambles and enduros or at least setup mini test rides during races that include a couple of real sections along with enough trials riders doing demos of all skill levels....Blah,Blah,Blah,I'm going riding...

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,943
Trials has always been small and probably always will be. My HS and MX buddies, always say there are "too many rules".
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #34
plane_ben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Trials has always been small in the US. Not so in England, Europe, and Japan.

As a spectator, I liked the stop-n-hop, but as a rider I didn't like it. When I reentered the sport after a twenty year gap I remembered going to an event where the top rider rode in the morning and the lower classes scored them, then the opposite in the afternoon. I didn't know the stop-n-hop rules and I was giving out fives like candy at Halloween.I got a real quick lesson on the new rules.
plane_ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #35
soupbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
stop or no stop

I checked sec. 8 on Sat. My instructions were ( from the FIM Meeting) a pause of one thousand one - one thousand two is OK any more is a 5 ! I volunteered to check with expectations of watching for spokes to stop for a 5,untill the meeting. I watched most of Sundays loop & thought the scoring was correct as per meeting. My 2 cents is that it is up to the organizer to set up the trial for NO STOP. The observer has to deal with what he has. I will check again stop or no stop because I don't want to make any money I just love Trials
soupbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #36
dsrtdwg1
b00b

Oddometer: 8
best response i've read
Old 06-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtdwg1 View Post
best response i've read

Oh Gawd,that'll go right to his head...

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #38
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupbill View Post
I checked sec. 8 on Sat. My instructions were ( from the FIM Meeting) a pause of one thousand one - one thousand two is OK any more is a 5 ! I volunteered to check with expectations of watching for spokes to stop for a 5,untill the meeting. I watched most of Sundays loop & thought the scoring was correct as per meeting. My 2 cents is that it is up to the organizer to set up the trial for NO STOP. The observer has to deal with what he has. I will check again stop or no stop because I don't want to make any money I just love Trials
Interesting.

So, no matter what has been said, they were allowed a 2 second "pause".
That explains the videos that are out there with the riders apparently stopping and still getting cleans.

So it's not really no stop, it's 2 second stop.

How the hell can a guy judge that?? I can't imagine scoring (at the world level, no less) and counting in my head as they are stopping, pausing and doing these semi-hops.

This is getting more ridiculous the more I hear about it!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #39
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

So it's not really no stop, it's 2 second stop.

How the hell can a guy judge that?? I can't imagine scoring (at the world level, no less) and counting in my head as they are stopping, pausing and doing these semi-hops.

Wow, I know I sure would have a hard time being consistent with my scoring if I had to do all the standard scoring for dabs, inside the ribbon, not rolling back, etc. and then add a 2 second "pause" (no stop) on top of all of it...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #40
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Wow, I know I sure would have a hard time being consistent with my scoring if I had to do all the standard scoring for dabs, inside the ribbon, not rolling back, etc. and then add a 2 second "pause" (no stop) on top of all of it...
As hard as it may sound, I think a pause makes it easier to score. The club that I have been riding with has always used no-stop rules with a specific allowance for a one second pause. Generally speaking, pauses are either momentary or they are long (5). The only time it gets interesting is when a rider is stuck and frantically trying to get moving again. Consistency is the key there - just score everyone the same.

All that said, after attending the world round, I've solidified my opinion that no-stop is not the answer. I firmly believe the bike dragging and the all-day dab have to go, but I don't think no stop is the only way to accomplish that.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote