User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
miksail OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Longer ride, learned even more

So on Saturday, after getting distracted for a short time by an enticing trail and then giving up on that, I finally arrived at the trailhead I was seeking...Soda Springs Road at the end of Foresthill Road (near Foresthill, CA).

Several years ago, pre-KLR days, I saw this trail while exploring mountain roads on my cruiser. It was obviously not meant for a VTX1300 so I turned around and continued exploring the blacktopped roads in the area. But now I was on my KLR650 and ready for the challenge.

In 25 miles this road offered up nearly every kind of surface I could think of...firm packed dirt, really loose dirt with pine needles mixed in, gravel, rock, gravel and rock, water crossings large and small, mud pits and more. It was a blast. I even found some snow. Thankfully it was just a few patches on the side of the road. There were steep downgrades, steep climbs, an endless supply of dramatic views (forgot the camera!) and no traffic. The lack of traffic was very surprising as it was a beautiful day. I did talk with a rider on a KLX250 but he was more intent on finding a fishing spot than I was so we parted company.

Finally, at about mile 20 I a Jeep came down the road toward me and quickly moved over, signalling me to come ahead. A mile or so later another Jeep approached me as I was navigating one of several uphill hairpin turns whose surface was medium size rocks mixed with loose gravel. (Picking my way through was interesting.) Anyway, the Jeep stops and a young woman roles down the window to tell me she spotted a bear in the middle of the road a short way back. OH GREAT! Well, I did not see any sign of bre'r bear, thankfully. Then, after cresting a small hill, I was back on asphalt. I had made it.

I pulled into a parking lot, dismounted and suddenly realized I was both physically and mentally exhausted. It had taken me just under 3-hours to ride the 25 miles (with several rest stops and a couple fishing stops).I felt pretty good about it though as the KLR is my first dirt capable bike and I have only had it for a year. Man, I am lovin' this kind of riding!
miksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
"Old bear in the road trick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksail View Post
Anyway, the Jeep stops and a young woman roles down the window to tell me she spotted a bear in the middle of the road a short way back. OH GREAT! Well, I did not see any sign of bre'r bear, thankfully.
Glad you were on your toes and did not fall for "there is a bear in the road" trick. Seen way too many young bikers led down the road to perdition with that line. Surprised when the "bear" line did not work she wasn't quick to say, " Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?" Geez. When will women in jeeps quit thinking of us as toys?
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote