Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Setting up New Montana--Stuck on USB Screen

Hello,

When my Montana is connected to my computer via USB, I have a screen that says GARMIN with a USB icon under it. Is there anyway to use the Montana while it is connected and charging the batteries for the first time? Or is there something already wrong?

In this condition, I am not seeing how I will be able to make my first archival backup as is recommended in the wiki.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Hello,

When my Montana is connected to my computer via USB, I have a screen that says GARMIN with a USB icon under it. Is there anyway to use the Montana while it is connected and charging the batteries for the first time? Or is there something already wrong?

In this condition, I am not seeing how I will be able to make my first archival backup as is recommended in the wiki.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay, you must have skipped a few pages in the Montana wiki...
Your Montana is behaving as it should. You've connected it to a USB port on your computer and the Montana is now in USB Storage Device mode. You can not operate the Montana while it is in this mode. You can however do the backup operations that you read about in the wiki. So, while the Montana is charging, use your computer (Mac or Windows) to open the attached "removable drive" with Windows Explorer or Mac Finder and copy the \Garmin folder to a location on your computer you want to use for backing up your Montana.

After you have copied (backed-up) your Montana, continue to read over the Montana wiki so you have a better understanding of what it can do and how to set it up to do what you want it to. Questions are always welcome over in the Montana Thread.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Dan. Yeah you are right. I just plugged her in and expected her to behave like my old 60Cx. Good to know there is nothing wrong. I will go back and read.

Jay
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Thanks Dan. Yeah you are right. I just plugged her in and expected her to behave like my old 60Cx. Good to know there is nothing wrong. I will go back and read.

Jay
You can set up your Montana to prompt you to choose whether it will go into Mass Storage mode or GPS mode when connected to a computer. Go to Setup/System/Interface and choose Spanner, then when you connect, you will be given the choice of Mass Storage Mode or the alternative, the name of which escapes me right now.

If you choose the other mode, ie not Mass Storage, you will be able to use the gps as you did your 60.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can set up your Montana to prompt you to choose whether it will go into Mass Storage mode or GPS mode when connected to a computer. Go to Setup/System/Interface and choose Spanner, then when you connect, you will be given the choice of Mass Storage Mode or the alternative, the name of which escapes me right now.

If you choose the other mode, ie not Mass Storage, you will be able to use the gps as you did your 60.
Not really. With the Montana in the non-mass-storage mode, one cannot send and receive to the GPS (from Basecamp), while with the 60Cx (and Mapsource) I could operate the GPS's controls and send and receive.

Essentially all I seem to be doing in non-mass-storage mode is charging the Montana's batteries via the USB cable. Am I missing something?

Jay
Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Not really. With the Montana in the non-mass-storage mode, one cannot send and receive to the GPS (from Basecamp), while with the 60Cx (and Mapsource) I could operate the GPS's controls and send and receive.

Essentially all I seem to be doing in non-mass-storage mode is charging the Montana's batteries via the USB cable. Am I missing something?
Your original question was "Is there anyway to use the Montana while it is connected and charging the batteries for the first time?" The "Non Mass Storage Mode" does allow you to use the gps. No, it won't let you transfer back and forth between the gps and the computer, but you can still use the gps as a gps, which is supposedly what you wanted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote