User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,678
MY Rev3 Trials and Adventures

Thought I'd start this thread to chronicle my transition from Enduro style Adventure riding to Trials adventure riding and maybe encourage a few others to give it a crack.

I've been riding enduro/trail bikes since the early 70's but until recently never even sat on a trials bike. That all changed a month or two ago when I bought this:

I'm a complete trials noob but the fun I've had so far trying to figure out this curious wee bike has got me hooked. The first thing I learn't was despite the light weight of the modern trials bike they don't float. So after recovering it from a fairly deep and fast flowing river I had some surgery to perform to bring it back to life

After rebuilding the engine and replacing two bent levers reshaped after a couple of failed attempts to get up a vertical face (the pros make it look so easy?) I've decided some bark busters might be in order so have got some on the way. Next some bar risers to make standing a little more cumfy and then I have a long range kit to fit once it arrives from Farrari land.

I'm looking forward to learning some new skills but mostly just having fun on my Beta. Hopefully I can also glean some tips from the experineced trialies on this site who's skill set on a bike I now have a whole new respect for .

As part of my master plan to get to grips with this machine, I've managed to persuade (con) one friend to buy a trials bike; there's nothing like a bit of rivalry to hasten the learning cure . So let the Trials and Adventures commence
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 823
Congratulations on the new ride, trials is great!

I highly recommend finding someone from a local trials group/club in your aria to have them mentor you in person. It was one of the best things I did to get hooked up with a few people from the local group out here.

Have fun and enjoy the new addiction!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Congratulations on the new ride, trials is great!

I highly recommend finding someone from a local trials group/club in your aria to have them mentor you in person. It was one of the best things I did to get hooked up with a few people from the local group out here.

Have fun and enjoy the new addiction!
Thanks, I hope catch up with some experienced trials riders some time soon. The bigest challenge I have though is balancing while stationary...I just can't get the nack of it?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
...The bigest challenge I have though is balancing while stationary...I just can't get the nack of it?
It took a bit for me to get it... It helped me to keep no more than 6lbs of air in the front and around 4lbs in the rear, and works best when I keep my body centered between the pegs and handel bars, with a firm grip on the bars. Then a little twist on the bars one way or the other and some shifting on the pegs and I can get it most of the time. I am working on getting better at using my legs to counter balance but most of the time I kick them out to late, and some times a bit to early... getting closer though, so am sure I will have it soon enough.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
My 2 cents worth...
Stationary balance practice starts with the bars locked to one side. (practice both ways so you don't prefer one sided) Soft ground so the front wheel locks into helps at first, as does doing it on ground with one wheel slightly elevated or lower.
Firm grip on the bars is the wrong answer... light grip, 1 finger on the clutch and front brake. Foot on the back brake. Engine running helps as you can drag the clutch if you have too, as does the gyroscopic effect of the rotating crank.
Don't ever have your feet tight to the bike like an mx bike. Mid peg and sometimes end of the peg will allow more peg weighting for leaning the bike one way or the other but turn the the bars to keep your balance, not foot pressure. (if you are locked to the left and falling left, turn the bars slightly to the right) Using the 'keeping the scales balanced' technique of Ryan Young, if you lean the bike, the body goes the other way to offset it.
Keep your trials bike out of anything deeper than the skid plate. (horrible air box water proofing)
I too had an Adventure when I got my first trials bike and said then that if I ever had to keep just one bike it would be the trials. Adventure is gone, enduro bike is gone (for now), the trials bike is still here.
Keep practicing and have fun.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
balancing

Congrats on the bike. I am positive you will not regret getting into trials as long as you have the patience to practice over and over the same maneuver to learn.

I bought my first trials bike only one year ago, and quickly found out that practicing static balancing on my mountain bike 15 minutes a day helped me out on the trials bike. And the same went for the front wheel hop....practicing on a mountain bike everyday helped out a lot. BTW, the same principle of very light grips on the bar applies to the mountain bike as well....and so does flexing the knees properly for the front wheel hop.

Just my .02. Enjoy the bike.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Sounds like I need to try a lighter grip on the bars... thanks!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Thanks for the tips...seem to be getting the hang of it, even got the front wheel to bounce Rear wheel is another story though I think I must have lead weights in the back wheel
Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
If you get a chance to take Ryan Youngs course I highly recommend it! You'll learn a LOT over the course of a weekend. I took it last August and it was excellent. I don't compete but love riding the bike at the enduroX track and on the trails. I have a Rev3 as well. Nice little bike.
Garrett
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 675
I swung a leg over a trials bike this weekend for the first time, damn it's fun and addictive. Looking forward to seeing where this new obsession takes you (and me)
BEEF706 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

video from a few weeks back for your viewing pleasure

Old 06-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

some more practicing

Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
Kempy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
video from a few weeks back for your viewing pleasure

down the tuki ?
Kempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempy View Post
down the tuki ?
give that man a wyngum
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Been waiting for this to turn up for while now...

Looks like a perfect fit ....can't wait to test it out this weekend