ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #31
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott baja View Post
hey jon6.0.......is your 908 a 140 or 150?

2011 KTM 250XC with lots of protection stuff for when I bounce it down a hill.
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
GJ990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baja View Post
Hey jon6.0.......Is your 908 a 140 or 150?
Don't make a 150.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #33
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer111v View Post
I can live with the rear (150) off road, but the front is scarey on anything loose. I have an other set of wheels, so I'm going to try a m21 on front to see how that works with the scout rear off road
This is the exact combo we are running and to be honest I like it, I think the Heidy front tread isn't quite deep enough but we are happy with the rear for what we are using it for which is RTWing so not hard offroad riding or pug.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #34
aaronc76 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I use the TKC 80's front and back for all conditions riding. It's versatile for me. No vibration. Good in gravel, dirt, so so in sand... I like it on the Tarmac. I run it with high pressure and only 1 pinch flat over many many years...which was my fault running low pressure on a pavement return.

I love the rear tire on pavement when it's really worn down. I get between 2-3k miles and I always find them on sale.
The TKC80 are great tires!
However, got them on my previous bike (xt660z) and they worn out after 7-8 K.
I guess that on the 990 they hold even less.
Unfortunately, tires are expensive here and I dont want to replace a pair every 6 months.
If I plan a long off-road trip, I sure will consider them.

Cheers
aaronc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #35
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
For those that didn't like the Heidenau K60 rear tire, did you like the Mefo Super Exploer better for 50/50 on & off road usage?
On tar the scout rear felt a lot better than the Mefo from new, mefo front is good as scorp.
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #36
ktmman1503
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I've had a few tyres on my 990, had the bike just on two years and have done just on 24,000 kilometres and I am now sticking with the heidenau, not bad traction on sealed road, off road a little average, great life, have now done around 6000k and there is still have at least 3000k left.

I'll buy them again.

Yes.. I also notice a slight front end shimmy at low speed, hands off the bars.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ktmman1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #37
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmman1503 View Post
I've had a few tyres on my 990, had the bike just on two years and have done just on 24,000 kilometres and I am now sticking with the heidenau, not bad traction on sealed road, off road a little average, great life, have now done around 6000k and there is still have at least 3000k left.

I'll buy them again.

Yes.. I also notice a slight front end shimmy at low speed, hands off the bars.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Strange and confusing as I said before, my scorps used to shimmy at low speed, 40 mph or less, the Heidies are fine, even squared off after 6000 miles, go figure.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #38
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
I think they are great. On the street, I have touched down the Gobis, so the traction is pretty good. In the sand of Moab, 2 up, they did fine, although not going fast.On the Forest Service roads above Telluride there was no problem. I've got 8500 miles and could get another 1500, but will be replacing them for another trip to Colorado.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #39
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Good in the dirt, hard pack, gravel, but not sandy stuff. Did 1,000+ miles, in Death Valley, Sedona, Grand Canyon, last year two up and go some serious bite out of them off road.

No good in mud - but what is on a 500 LB bike.? 908 is best if you want to hit the desert and rip that up - no comparison.

2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #40
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Chiming in with my experience so far..

I just got ~10K miles on my K60 front, with a whole lot of interstate and some twisty and fire road on a crazy coast to coast and back (haven't tried the rear yet). It's got some severe scalloping, but I enjoyed it overall. It is quieter and much better on-road than the mefo super explorer I replaced and with much better wear.

The K60 isn't really an offroad front tire imo but seems fine on gravel roads, etc. The d606 works better offroad, but I can't live with it for daily use.

Anyway, the K60 was good enough I'm going to run another set front and back. However I'd still like to find a magic front knobby that isn't squirrelly on-road.

My offroad set is a d908rr rear and d606 front. Honestly I don't feel like the 140 rear on the stock rim works very well at all if you actually want to go around a corner. The tread is way too flat with no bite on the side and it just feels a bit dangerous to me. Now with a narrower rim, I'm sure it would be fantastic. I still use it off road, but I don't carry much speed through the corners.

BigTony screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 02:52 AM
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #41
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
So I am on my second set of these - back and front at the same time.

Fronts okay for what it is, that a comprise, not as good a Scorp on pavement, but much better than one off road, but no where near as good as a knobby. Still gives enough confidence for 100mph on good gravel.

Rears, First set I ran a 150, 8,000 miles liked it a lot, not bad off road (still not a knobby though) work okay on pavement until about half worn and as noted by another poster square off and get quite squirrely.
Second set I ran a 140, 3,000 miles and I need a new one - no where near a good off road as the 150, squared off like the 150.

Will I put another on? Yeah most likely run a 150 again.

I had previously one set my 950, gave me 10,000ks but was well stuffed by then, that was 2 up across Russia and Kazakstan.

Edit: BTW I have run 606s. 908s, Scorp Rally (not be confused with the std Scorp), Michelin Deserts on these. I have found the best Knobby to be a the Scorp Rally followed by the Deserts, but the Rally's have a poor life (2,000 miles). The 908s are too hard on hard packed gravel roads and the 606s aren't really up to the weight of the big girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.

ciedema screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 04:16 AM
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #42
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
My rear is square and almost gone after 5.000km. Front is wobbly on very slow speeds and noisy at higher speed.

Offroad the back breaks out fairly easy and the front is quite squirly in the lose sand.

So im not that happy about them to be honest. It's the first set i have tried so don't know what set or combo is the best compromise for on- and offroad.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #43
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Front is wobbly on very slow speeds and noisy at higher speed.
I have come to the conclusion that the wobbly has more to do with the squared off read that anything else, rolling on and off that square edge gets transmitted to the front - also if the front is a little under pressure it affects it.

Thats what I have found anyway. (Plus my front rim is not exactly true at the moment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #44
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGibbons View Post
Anyway, the K60 was good enough I'm going to run another set front and back. However I'd still like to find a magic front knobby that isn't squirrelly on-road.
I've got a Michelin T63 front on mine that I replaced the 908RR with. The bike was scary at highway speeds with the 908. The T63 is stable all the way up to 100mph+ on the highway. It did great offroad. I think the good road manners are because the knobs start a little shorter and there is less squirm. I'm either going to try the Mefo Super Explorer or the K60 when my 908 rear wears out. I can make do with less rear traction offroad, but I really like my front end to be able to bite good offroad.

This is a pic with 300 highway miles on it. I've currently got 1350 on it and they don't look much more worn than this pic.

2011 KTM 250XC with lots of protection stuff for when I bounce it down a hill.
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #45
Mooney 78865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I'm a 70% street, 30% dirt rider. I've got 6000 miles on a set of K60s on my 990 Adventure. The rear is not bad off road if I run it down to 28 PSI or so. The front on the other hand never did inspire confidence no matter what terrain or air pressure. I like the mileage and will put on another rear. The front won't be back and I'm still up in the air as to what I'm going to use. Street manners are good if you maintain the pressures. As with any tire, if you run 'em with low pressure you will go though 'em like hot cakes.
Last thought, the front is about done at 6,000 miles. Starting to get a bit thin on the sides, probably should stop dragging the pegs and trail braking.