Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 01:13 AM   #61
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Little bit underwhelmed about the longevity on the 1190, but they have been pretty good in a mix of tarmac and dirt roads (gravel, rocky, sandy, double track), mostly in the dry. Performed fine on the one damp road I tried.

They look a bit worn at 5000 kms.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #62
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
Little bit underwhelmed about the longevity on the 1190, but they have been pretty good in a mix of tarmac and dirt roads (gravel, rocky, sandy, double track), mostly in the dry. Performed fine on the one damp road I tried.

They look a bit worn at 5000 kms.
... putting it in perspective tho what would something else look like after 5000 km of 150 hp torture?

No perfect tire that will last long and hold on.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #63
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
One thing I have noticed about mine - during braking the rear tire seems to slide a lot on pavement. More so than what I've noticed with other tires.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #64
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
One thing I have noticed about mine - during braking the rear tire seems to slide a lot on pavement. More so than what I've noticed with other tires.
I was with a LC8 yesterday that lowsided on pavement with these tires....very good rider....the hard compound that makes these tires last has a tradeoff..

I would rather change tires more often then replace hardparts...

the rider is fine....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #65
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
I was with a LC8 yesterday that lowsided on pavement with these tires....very good rider....the hard compound that makes these tires last has a tradeoff..

I would rather change tires more often then replace hardparts...

the rider is fine....
I've been a bit worried about that scenario myself! Glad you are OK!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #66
JerryIUP
Team Wanker

Oddometer: 253
Love mine. From Tarmac, to rocks to sand, a great overall tire. They are a great 50/50 tire. 908 RR for the rough stuff. Cheers.

08' KTM 450 EXC-R
11' KTM 990 Adventure-R
JerryIUP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #67
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
They are a true 50/50 tire...50% as good on road as a road tire and 50% as good on dirt as a knobby. So if you are happy with a tire that performs half as well as other tires, go for it ;)

I think there may be a huge difference between batches or sizes of these tires cause there is such descrepency of opinions between users. I hated the rear I used, others swear by them and say they can scrape footpegs etc. no way I would be coming close to scraping pegs on the one I had unless I had already crashed on the slippery sucker!

I am hoping to do a big multi country ride later this year, and may consider one for that simply for the mileage though...they are hard as nails and wear like stone.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #68
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Normally run TKC80's and love them but the 990 eats that back tire like a snack. Rode from Calgary to Inuvik last summer, then top of the world highway and home through Alaska over a lot of harsh chip-seal. Thought I would try the K60 to see if I could get it to last better. Was shocked how well it did - whether flat out on the Dempster, downpour on the Tarmac or the snot of some of the Alaska roads, it wore like iron, was predictable, no flats, no cupping... Almost 10,000k on that tire and will probably get 2k more. Would not run the Scout front, the TKC is a great pairing with it.
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #69
BMacW650

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
They are a true 50/50 tire...50% as good on road as a road tire and 50% as good on dirt as a knobby. So if you are happy with a tire that performs half as well as other tires, go for it ;)
I don't think it's a fair statement. Everyone agrees this is not the best tire on any surface. Far from it.

But it really depends on how you like to ride your big bike. Some of us don't live 10 minutes from good offroad spots. Some prefer to ride to the destination long hours on highways over trailering it.

I think that's where some of the more favorable opinions are coming from. We are no fools, obviously, softer, more aggressive tires are better. But I can't afford to pay $200+ on TKC or 908 and ride 2000miles to Colorado, than basically end up with a worn k60 tire for offroad riding. I regularly have to hop on the highway for 4hours just to ride offroad for a weekend trip. Can't think of anything else would hold up all this riding. BTW, all we have here is sand.
BMacW650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #70
murphyKTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
my first introduction to the K60 was on a Triumph Tiger, borrowed for a ride last summer in Alaska. Loved the tyres but didn't do any mud, but a fair bit of gravel hardpack. 10500 kms and only half worn, I was taking it easy on a borrowed bike.
Got back to NZ and put a K60 on my 950, not so good. Compared with the std Scorpion, on the seal it is looser and steps out easier, but predictable. Fine on hardpack gravel but useless in mud.
IMHO problem is the continuous central rib, temped to buy a tyre grooving tool and connect the side grooves across the central rib. Probably not recommended by the tyre manufacturer, possibly not even legal but could be interesting to try.
If someone wants to send me a tyre groove tool I will do it and let you know how it works!!
murphyKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #71
Brown Town
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyKTM View Post
my first introduction to the K60 was on a Triumph Tiger, borrowed for a ride last summer in Alaska. Loved the tyres but didn't do any mud, but a fair bit of gravel hardpack. 10500 kms and only half worn, I was taking it easy on a borrowed bike.
Got back to NZ and put a K60 on my 950, not so good. Compared with the std Scorpion, on the seal it is looser and steps out easier, but predictable. Fine on hardpack gravel but useless in mud.
IMHO problem is the continuous central rib, temped to buy a tyre grooving tool and connect the side grooves across the central rib. Probably not recommended by the tyre manufacturer, possibly not even legal but could be interesting to try.
If someone wants to send me a tyre groove tool I will do it and let you know how it works!!
Try the 140. It has no center rib.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #72
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
I don't think it's a fair statement. Everyone agrees this is not the best tire on any surface. Far from it.

But it really depends on how you like to ride your big bike. Some of us don't live 10 minutes from good offroad spots. Some prefer to ride to the destination long hours on highways over trailering it.

I think that's where some of the more favorable opinions are coming from. We are no fools, obviously, softer, more aggressive tires are better. But I can't afford to pay $200+ on TKC or 908 and ride 2000miles to Colorado, than basically end up with a worn k60 tire for offroad riding. I regularly have to hop on the highway for 4hours just to ride offroad for a weekend trip. Can't think of anything else would hold up all this riding. BTW, all we have here is sand.

That was kind of my point. It is not as good on road as a road tire (obviously) and is equally not as good in the dirt as a knobby. If you have to do big distances on slab to ride dirt then it might be the right compromise for you, but I found it was just too much of a compromise everywhere: it is dangerous on wet roads with the solid centre line (our roads have a lot of paint markings and and are wet a lot!) and offered minimal extra grip to a battlewing on the dirt I rode it on. Obviously different bikes, dirt types, riding styles etc will all make a difference, but this is just my experience with the rear K60.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #73
paracarro
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb

Best all-round tyre I've ever had on my 990 in 100.000 km. Period.
paracarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #74
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 128
Rode from WI to CO and back in 8 days on only two-lane (990 ADV) on a brand new set last summer, and the K60s were great for me. The front is still like new. I will put a fresh rear on for the same trip this summer.
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #75
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
If you want to roadrace or ride an enduro, no this is not the tire for you. But, if you want to ride from Alabama to Colorado and ride the jeep trails without changing tires, this is the tire for you.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is online now   Reply With Quote