Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,111
Multiple tracks are re-ordered when loaded

Garmin 450
BaseCamp

I have a multi-track .gpx file. In BaseCamp (and MapSource) the tracks are listed in order as:

01. blah blah
02. blah blah
02a. blah blah
02b. blah blah
03. blah blah
10. etc
11. etc

... and so on for 20 tracks.

In BC and MS, they are listed in proper order and function properly.

When I load onto the Oregon 450, which is accomplished without problem, some tracks appear in correct order in the track list, others appear in some random (it seems) placement that is out of order.

What am I doing wrong?

1,000 thanks ...

byways screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 04:42 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Could they be ordered in approximation to your current location as seen by the gps?
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
byways OP
byways

Hmm ... Thanks for that thought. I hadn't thought of that, but lemme look and see if there's something to that.

UPDATE: It kinda does look like the Oregon has attempted to reorder the tracks (without renaming them) according to how close or how distant the track is from where I am. Most-distant tracks do appear farther down the list. So perhaps Garmin has set it up to do me a favor ... whether I want the favor or not. :-(

I'll keep an eye on the issue.

UPDATE II: Just spoke with Garmin, and while the woman wasn't sure, she did think the above is what's occurring. She thinks so because the units reorder waypoints according to proximity to one's current location; so it may be doing the same with the tracks, basing its judgment on the user's proximity to the starting point of each track.

byways screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 12:59 PM
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
[QUOTE=byways;21526089] In BC and MS, they are listed in proper order and function properly.

When I load onto the Oregon 450, which is accomplished without problem, some tracks appear in correct order in the track list, others appear in some random (it seems) placement that is out of order.QUOTE]

Old subject, documented in other threads like 62/78. Lots of changes in Track features in new generation units.

Yes they are listed in proximity to current location. This is handy when riding, the ones you care about are at the top of the list. PITA at home or motel and want to work on tracks and they are not alpha-numeric. Suggest every one asks Garmin for choice, both are useful.

When you download tracks, they are all "Off" and color is set to Garmins choice not yours as set in your PC. Real PITA for Event Promoters.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
byways OP
byways

Thanks, Countdown!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
I know my Montana works this way, ie, sorted by distance. But I don't understand the algorithm.

Often the track I am actually on is several positions down the list. I guess it must be some kind of centroid thing.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
byways OP
byways

The support person at Garmin I spoke with could only say it seemed logical that the order is based on proximity to the starting point. Not a definitive response.

Is there a way to override this and retain the intended sequence?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
I wish the search function on my Montana would work that way and find the closest results first without having to do a search near. Generally I don't care about items thousands of miles away.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I know my Montana works this way, ie, sorted by distance. But I don't understand the algorithm.

Often the track I am actually on is several positions down the list. I guess it must be some kind of centroid thing.
Like said most likely starting point.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Like said most likely starting point.

I don't think the Montana uses the starting point. Several times on our last trip I wanted to look at the track we were getting ready ride. So we were at the starting point, but tracks that did not start where I was were earlier in the list.

BTW I have started using track navigation on the Montana with almost no ill effects. The wide magenta line is easier to see than any color I have tried.

The only slight problem was that I when I stop I can't tell the difference with where I have been and where I am going. I had to turn off navigation a few times at complex intersections to get my bearings.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I don't think the Montana uses the starting point.

The only slight problem was that I when I stop I can't tell the difference with where I have been and where I am going.
Probably uses the old engineering tool "Dart Board"

That is a real problem with getting old!

A cop found an old man on a park bench crying and said what is the problem. Old man said he had 20 year old wife that couldn't get enough sex. Cop said what's the problem with that? Old man said "I can't remember where I live".