Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 12:55 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
How much would an 09 RT-P with 140k on the clock be worth?

I was down at one of the California Highway Patrol Auction lots where they sell their Runouts. Cars and Bikes. Talking to the guy in charge he said that the CHP has finished their contract with BMW and have gone back to Harley Davidson. He said there will be a lot of BMW's on the chopping block since the Harleys are starting to now be delivered and go into service. On the other hand when they use to turn their BMW's in at a certain year or mileage but because of budget cuts they used these bikes longer than they normally would have so they have had a longer service life resulting in higher mileage. He did tell me that despite that the bikes are very well maintained and when fixed they are fixed the are by worked on by qualified BMW mechanics with OEM BMW parts.

At the time I went there was a 2002 with about 110k miles on it that they had at a minimum bid of $1000 and nobody had bid on it. It definitely wasn't a shiny pavement princess and you could tell that it had been used but when he gave me the keys it fired right up and everything seemed to work as I would expect. They don't let you test ride them but they will give you the keys and let you fire them up put them in gear etc. I would think for $1k you almost couldn't go wrong but I'm not really interested in an 1100 or 1150 I would like a 1200. He said that there are a few 1200's coming in this next week and he said he should have them priced at about $2k. He said the mileage will vary a lot on these bikes depending on what part of the state they come from. The ones coming this next week he said were high miles as those are the ones that will be replaced first. He said the first ones will have 140-150K mile on them for the $2k pricepoint. He said that is minimum sealed bid but that they usually don't go for much over that...

I'm really thinking about picking one of these up for myself and maybe even one for my son at that price... I owned an 1100RT-P CHP bike with 90k back about 8 years ago or so and really enjoyed riding it. Just wondering about the mileage on these at 140-150k are these bikes about done? I would guess if they were properly cared for they would be able to go another 50k or more? Even if you ended up having to put a grand or 2 into these bikes I think you would be many dollars ahead. But Maybe I'm up in the night...

What's your opinion on these bikes?

A pic of the 3 1150's that were for sale when I was there. The one closest was $1000 the other 2 were were cheaper. One didn't have an exhaust and was $700 and the other was a parts bike for $400....

Here are 2 1200's that will be going up for auction this next week for $2k

lacofdfireman screwed with this post Today at 01:03 PM
lacofdfireman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:53 PM   #2
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,836
As I said on the other forum....

"I'd pass on a bike with that many miles. Although it may run good at the moment wear and tear will take a toll sooner or latter, me thinks sooner here, and bad thing will start to happen that will cost you $$$. I'm thinking a slippery slope could be just around the corner....."

Paul
Old Today, 05:17 PM   #3
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
As I said on the other forum....

"I'd pass on a bike with that many miles. Although it may run good at the moment wear and tear will take a toll sooner or latter, me thinks sooner here, and bad thing will start to happen that will cost you $$$. I'm thinking a slippery slope could be just around the corner....."

Paul
Your probably right. I'm going to see how much money the first couple batches of 1200's end up selling for. If they are indeed selling for $2k I'll most likely pick one up and give it a try. If it gives me issues I can sell it at a loss or fix it if it's not to expensive. For $2k I figure how can you lose? A civilian version of a 2009 even at the 150k mileage would still sell for $6k I would bet. If not more.. I was looking around at one of the BMW forums I belong to and have seen some guys with well over 200k on the clock with zero issues. Except maybe a clutch or other maintence items. But heck I could buy a used GSA that is a 2008 with 40-60k miles on it and expect to do a clutch also. We are talking about $2k for a bike not $12k like a used 08 GSA would cost. You can do a lot of repairs on a bike for $3-4k I would expect. Also I would not be converting to a 2up seat. I would leave it as is... To convert to a 2 seat I looked it up and it's about $2500 if you want cases also with the conversion. Seat only conversion without cases will be about $1500...
lacofdfireman is online now   Reply With Quote