User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
ramblin66 OP
HappyHappyJoyJoy

Oddometer: 4,426
'94 R1100RS - Insight Needed

I've had this RS only a few months. First BMW I've owned since about 1995, so, I'm hoping the hive can help me solve a few niggles.

1. Fuel light just started cycling on/off/on/off with a full tank.
I've put a few thousand miles on this bike myself since I picked it up in October and the fuel light was working properly until yesterday. The bike had been sitting idle for about 3 weeks of cold weather. 2.5 miles on the odo since the last fill up. The fuel light came on about a mile out of the driveway then cycled on/off in irregular intervals for the whole short (~20 miles) ride. After 5-6 cycles (on/off) the light stayed on. I pulled over to check the tank (maybe a leak?) and found that my gas cap was not fully seated. (hung up on the tank bag attaching ring) I shut the cap fully and restarted the bike. Same thing... on/off/on/off for a few miles, then just on. Tank was confirmed near full.

Q: Does the fuel light on this bike indicate anything other than low fuel? If you leave the gas cap open on a car, after a while the ECM throws a code. Seems unlikely to me that the 1100 is trying to tell me something other than that my fuel sensor float is sticking.

Q: Is there an easy fix? (hopefully one that doesn't require pulling the tank)

Issue #2.
The bike has started to miss randomly at idle when warm.
I don't feel any missing at speed (any speed from >0 to 100), but when the bike is warm and I stop at a light, the engine shudders randomly. Feels like a missed ignition. It's never stalled, but it's not right. I checked the wires, nothing loose.

Q: Where should I be looking?
Q: Could this be related to the fuel light?

Thanks!
"I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain" ...... "I hope".... RED.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor
ramblin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,060
The fuel pump/fuel connector for the tank is not sealed, mine corroded. Get some contact cleaner and dielectric silicone, clean good, mate and unmate a few times, then pack with the silcone.

If you have an O2 sensor, then it is causing the unsteady idle. Nature of the beast. A careful valve adjust, and balance of the throttle body helps, as does new plugs. On this site at the bottom is the hall of wisdom. Read about valve adjust, and tune-up. Much is there.

Rod

ragtoplvr screwed with this post 01-18-2015 at 09:24 AM
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
ramblin66 OP
HappyHappyJoyJoy

Oddometer: 4,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
The fuel pump/fuel connector for the tank is not sealed, mine corroded. Get some contact cleaner and dielectric silicone, clean good, mate and unmate a few times, then pack with the silcone.

If you have an O2 sensor, then it is causing the unsteady idle. Nature of the beast. A careful calve adjust, and balance of the throttle body helps, as does new plugs. On this site at the bottom is the hall of wisdom. Read about valve adjust, and tune-up. Much is there.

Rod
Thanks! Will do some checking on those... I did muck around under there running wires for a dash powelet... maybe I upset some of those connectors. Both the fuel and O2 connectors are under there. The shudder started about the same time I ran the wires, but the fuel light issue is new.

Thanks for the suggestions.
"I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain" ...... "I hope".... RED.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor
ramblin66 is offline   Reply With Quote