Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #1546
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Usually, jerky throttle sickness hits the bikes meant to meet emissions and sound regulations, made by small companies with no big investment to do it properly. So, my guess would be that yes, breathing/exhaust/pcv will sort it perfeclty well. But its only a guess.
It usually does.. with a nice 20-30% bump in fuel consumption as a bonus.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #1547
crackermun
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
+1

The 919 was the last big naked bike I bought because of the reviews. Guess what? I've put more miles and enjoyed it more then every other big naked(I've owned almost all of them).

Still trying to figure out if the FZ09 is $4000 better then my 919. Any FZ09 owners come from a 919?

I actually wish Kawasaki would bring the Z800 to the US instead of the Z1000
( man that thing's ugly IMO).
I came from a 2007 919. The 919 is a great bike, very comfortable and most of all I really enjoyed riding 2 up and the wife loved the banana seat.

In my past I also had an SV650S and GSXR750.

The FZ9 has an incredible engine and it feels like an untamed wild beast. First and second gear wheelies are extremely easy without clutching it up. The sound of the triple is much better than the stock sound on the 919 and people actually comment on how good the FZ9 looks versus asking me why I was riding a chicks bike before :/. My wife had even said, "This thing sounds like we are riding a scooter." For longer rides the comfort on the 919 wins without a doubt. I have done 200+ mile days in the FZ9 which is fine but you will want to take a minute or two to chill out when you get gas next. When I had the 919 I felt like I was riding a lazy boy and could just go forever (I did multiple 300+ days with no problem). The power delivery on the FZ9 is much more abrupt than the 919 which gives you a sensation of 'holy shit this thing has some power.'

Vibration. Both bikes have it and I believe the 919s is a bit worse. I upgraded my bars on the 919 and it didn't provide much help. The vibes on the FZ9 are less but I believe my hands get tired sooner on the FZ9 because I am driving it a lot more aggressively - above 7K RPMs this thing comes alive and sounds ridiculous!

Throttle response. The 919 was smoother and more scooter like but the FZ9 hits in STD or A mode like a train (I love it) from 2K RPM and up.

Suspension. The negatives are that if you have such a capable engine and bike you need to have a suspension to go along with it. The FZ9's suspension is borderline dangerous (especially for newbies). I have jumped the bike a couple times on back roads (here in Northern VA) unintentionally and any time the pavement is not perfect you will feel the steering get very twitchy. If you were in a full lean and hit some sort of bump/rock/stick/dip you better say a prayer because the bike gets very unsettled. Also, the front end is very light and you will feel the front tire lift out of corners (can be fun :)). The 919's suspension is very similar but I believe the front end just felt more planted with the 919. In the future the first mods for the FZ9 will be suspension related.

Overall, I would say l like the FZ9 a lot but the 919 was more comfortable and better for longer rides. The FZ9 is way too small to ride 2 up for any length of time which was very disappointing to me. The FZ9 is way more fun in the city and from light to light. I feel as if there is more control with it being a bit more upright. I have done long rides into West Virginia on some twistes which was awesome, just make sure you have smooth pavement before you really start leaning.

I think if I had to do it all over again, I would still get the FZ9 because of the rawness and how rowdy it can be but I would keep the 919 for tamer 2 up riding.

Hope this helps.

-Paul
crackermun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #1548
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackermun View Post
I came from a 2007 919. The 919 is a great bike, very comfortable and most of all I really enjoyed riding 2 up and the wife loved the banana seat.

In my past I also had an SV650S and GSXR750.

The FZ9 has an incredible engine and it feels like an untamed wild beast. First and second gear wheelies are extremely easy without clutching it up. The sound of the triple is much better than the stock sound on the 919 and people actually comment on how good the FZ9 looks versus asking me why I was riding a chicks bike before :/. My wife had even said, "This thing sounds like we are riding a scooter." For longer rides the comfort on the 919 wins without a doubt. I have done 200+ mile days in the FZ9 which is fine but you will want to take a minute or two to chill out when you get gas next. When I had the 919 I felt like I was riding a lazy boy and could just go forever (I did multiple 300+ days with no problem). The power delivery on the FZ9 is much more abrupt than the 919 which gives you a sensation of 'holy shit this thing has some power.'

Vibration. Both bikes have it and I believe the 919s is a bit worse. I upgraded my bars on the 919 and it didn't provide much help. The vibes on the FZ9 are less but I believe my hands get tired sooner on the FZ9 because I am driving it a lot more aggressively - above 7K RPMs this thing comes alive and sounds ridiculous!

Throttle response. The 919 was smoother and more scooter like but the FZ9 hits in STD or A mode like a train (I love it) from 2K RPM and up.

Suspension. The negatives are that if you have such a capable engine and bike you need to have a suspension to go along with it. The FZ9's suspension is borderline dangerous (especially for newbies). I have jumped the bike a couple times on back roads (here in Northern VA) unintentionally and any time the pavement is not perfect you will feel the steering get very twitchy. If you were in a full lean and hit some sort of bump/rock/stick/dip you better say a prayer because the bike gets very unsettled. Also, the front end is very light and you will feel the front tire lift out of corners (can be fun :)). The 919's suspension is very similar but I believe the front end just felt more planted with the 919. In the future the first mods for the FZ9 will be suspension related.

Overall, I would say l like the FZ9 a lot but the 919 was more comfortable and better for longer rides. The FZ9 is way too small to ride 2 up for any length of time which was very disappointing to me. The FZ9 is way more fun in the city and from light to light. I feel as if there is more control with it being a bit more upright. I have done long rides into West Virginia on some twistes which was awesome, just make sure you have smooth pavement before you really start leaning.

I think if I had to do it all over again, I would still get the FZ9 because of the rawness and how rowdy it can be but I would keep the 919 for tamer 2 up riding.

Hope this helps.

-Paul
Thank Paul, for the nice objective review. Good to see that here in the interweb!

Sounds like new suspension bits and perhaps a steering damper are mandatory items for those who ride aggressively. Ya got plans?

Regards, Paul
Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #1549
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,449
MCN UK have a "MT09 Supermotard" header - but the server is busy..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #1550
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
4 more hours.....
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #1551
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
If thats the case then its the worst trademark for a motorbike Company to have.
And what do you mean with that riders that can aford MV`s dont live in the low rev? That makes no sense at all
Besides a Brutale 675 cost exactly the same in Norway as a Street triple R.
The question about MV`s fuling is if it can be fixed with a PC5?
What I meant is that MV's aren't made for commuters, so instead of spending resources on low rpm fueling, they spend it were most MV riders spend most of their time, high rpm. After there are Vespas for commuters. No?! Just in case you haven't noticed, MV's are very expensive cause they use top shelf components. Capisci o no, che cazzo Di rompi palle sei!

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #1552
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
In Norway a street triple R cost 156,000nok and a Brutale 675 155,000nok.
Thats only 150$ difrence. The MT-09 cost 141.000nok about 2500$ less then the two others and thats not much.

And that preformance bikes dont need good fuling at low rpm`s? say what??

Forstått snøsokk?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #1553
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
The MT-07 is a new kind of motorcycle that is designed to bring fun, affordability and enjoyment back to the street. And just about everything about this versatile new naked bike - from its deep torque through to the agile chassis and outstanding economy - make it hard to resist for both newer and experienced riders.
The all-new 689cc inline 2-cylinder engine benefits from our special 'crossplane philosophy' which enables it to develop linear torque for outstanding acceleration. And the MT-07 is also equipped with a compact and lightweight chassis for remarkable agility and easy handling.
New MT-07 from Yamaha. There's never been a better reason to rise up and ride.
Details
Liquid-cooled 689cc inline 2-cylinder 4-stroke (74 hp)
Crossplane philosophy design with 270-degree crank
Deep and powerful linear torque output (50 FT LBS)
Outstanding fuel efficiency
Built for optimum riding enjoyment
Low dry weight of only 164kg (WET WEIGHT 179 KG - 394 POUNDS)
Slim and compact tubular backbone frame
Agile, manoeuvrable and easy to handle
Mass-forward design with sculpted bodywork
Lightweight 10-spoke cast aluminium wheels
Digital instrumentation with full LED display
Dual 282mm front discs with 4-pot calipers

tonymorr screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 12:18 PM
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #1554
LusoViking
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
so on the yamaha eu website, under the mt-07 reveal article/page, i hovered my mouse over the mt link at the top, and three option appeared:
mt-07
mt-09
mt-09 Street Rallie

The link does't work, goes to an error page on yamahas website.
LusoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #1555
uhwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Wicked

uhwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #1556
LusoViking
Aspiring Adventurer

LusoViking screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 01:31 PM
Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #1557
LusoViking
Aspiring Adventurer

Mt-07

Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #1558
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,017
Both good looking bikes.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #1559
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusoViking View Post
so on the yamaha eu website, under the mt-07 reveal article/page, i hovered my mouse over the mt link at the top, and three option appeared:
mt-07
mt-09
mt-09 Street Rallie

The link does't work, goes to an error page on yamahas website.
Worked for me. Reading the fine print, it looks like the Street Rallie is an "S" version of the 09 modified by the dealer.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #1560
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc.../mt/index.aspx

This link works for me in the USA. tp