Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #1591
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I wish I had 50MPG now though, I'm looking at 40 with the FZ6.
That's effed up, I get 50 riding like a tool on mine. Fairing probably helps though, and I don't do much city anymore.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #1592
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
That's effed up, I get 50 riding like a tool on mine. Fairing probably helps though, and I don't do much city anymore.
It's the city, I don't ride that fast.
It uses a lot of fuel just idling on traffic lights.

I'm rather gentle on takeoffs, getting owned by 250cc scooters all the
time, and I'm in the 2500-3500 revs region whenever possible.

Also, I got a +1 sprocket up front (that I gotta ditch, I lost a lot..).

I can get 50 outside of town.. but there a fairing certainly helps.

You can check out my fuelly if you're that bored:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dbauernf/fz6

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #1593
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Even Rossi makes the bike look small, and he's practically a midget.
You do know Rossi is 5'10". With that hair and boots closer to 6'.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #1594
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
The added plastic bits look like cobbled together horseshit.
Agreed

Reminds me of an old action figure with the snap on accessories.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #1595
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
A thinner seat and wider pegs can enhance a rider's ability to corner on any bike, but will it be "radical"!?
It's actually a much thicker seat, which is why I like it. And I'm not sure if the pegs are wider, but they are spiked, metal dirt bike pegs vs the rubber pegs on the standard model.

I am not that crazy about any of the other features, I just want to play on Rossi's track!?!?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #1596
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
It's actually a much thicker seat, which is why I like it. And I'm not sure if the pegs are wider, but they are spiked, metal dirt bike pegs vs the rubber pegs on the standard model.
Per Yamaha Europe:
"New fuel tank shrouds, side number plates and fork covers give a more extreme motard image. The Tech Graphite colour accentuates its hard edged look - and the package is completed with a headlight cover and knuckle guards as well as wide footrests and a slim seat."

Granted in pictures it looks like the standard MT-09 has a dip in it's seat near the tank area that makes it vertically thinner in that one spot...but I was thinking going with the "extreme motard image" that the SR seat would be thinner in width/side-to-side like any offroad oriented bike seat relative to street bike seats. That's what I interpret "a slim seat" to mean for the SR since it makes the most sense given the motard styling context.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #1597
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Granted in pictures it looks like the standard MT-09 has a dip in it's seat near the tank area that makes it vertically thinner in that one spot...
You tell me which looks thinner?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #1598
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quibbling over a stupid graphics package.

I'm waiting for the 'do something other than wheelies and stoppies' model.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #1599
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Quibbling over a stupid graphics package.

I'm waiting for the 'do something other than wheelies and stoppies' model.
+1 Shame the MT-07 won't be made available in the US. 700cc twin with 74HP, utilitarian and travel fun bike for sure.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #1600
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
You tell me which looks thinner?
I'm not sure if you've noticed but we seem to be talking about two different things. You're talking about the vertical dip on the standard MT-09 seat, I'm talking about the profile of either seat's width between the thighs. Your pictures don't show the profile I'm speaking of. Yamaha's own site says the SR's seat is "slim" and since we can see the obvious that the SR seat is not thinner in height, we can assume it's probably thinner side-to-side. A pic from over the top of both bikes would show what I'm talking about: the SR will probably have what looks almost like a dirt bike seat at least in the front.

What I'm saying would make sense in the context Yamaha has provided ("slim seat", "motard") because the benefits of a thin seat between the thighs on offroad bikes ("motard"). The same benefits are also useful for the kind of "street motard" riding Yamaha is marketing to with the MT-09 SR which is essentially supermotard riding on a naked bike. More context: the hooligan and stunt riding done on naked bikes has a fair amount in common with supermoto riding (wheelies, stoppies, etc.), so this blend of "motard" and naked street bikes makes sense...on paper. And that blend has been done successfully before with the Hypermotard, 990 SMR, etc. (both of which basically have dirt bike seats, hmm). Yet execution on the SR is not all there for me but hell maybe those little differences make it considerably more fun to ride than the standard -09. I just can't get over the looks!

Sig_Sour screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 04:57 PM
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #1601
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
I'm not sure if you've noticed but we seem to be talking about two different things. You're talking about the vertical dip on the standard MT-09 seat, I'm talking about the profile of either seat's width between the thighs. Your pictures don't show the profile I'm speaking of. Yamaha's own site says the SR's seat is "slim" and since we can see the obvious that the SR seat is not thinner in height, we can assume it's probably thinner side-to-side. A pic from over the top of both bikes would show what I'm talking about: the SR will probably have what looks almost like a dirt bike seat at least in the front.

What I'm saying would make sense in the context Yamaha has provided ("slim seat", "motard") because the benefits of a thin seat between the thighs on offroad bikes ("motard"). The same benefits are also useful for the kind of "street motard" riding Yamaha is marketing to with the MT-09 SR.
Since Yamaha has been building off road bikes since 1968, they probably have a good handle on what a moto/motard shoud be. You are probably correct about the narrow seat.

And anyone who has ridden a bike with a narrow seat knows they suck after about 15 minutes. A special edition isn't always better than the original, and the SR may prove to be not as good as the original, for actual use...tp
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #1602
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
FZ-09 seems preferable over the SR, I'm thinking. Also thinking the FZ-07 (We hope.) is looking really sweet for the everyday, anywhere, economical, run-around Versys replacement. Very nice numbers for the task. Interested in price and mpg's. I'd guess in the ball parks of $6500-7000 and 60-65 mpg.

I'd love an FZ-09R, also. Time? Cost? Actual improvements? Worth the wait? Ah, the draw of the game. Will they neuter the bike a bit in the upcoming annual "refinements?" How much will the price go up? OTOH, nice suspension and sweet fueling should have already happened. Nothing fancy, mind you, but this is 2013; quality suspension, brakes, and fuelling should be a given. Easy enough to fix and/or ride around, I'm thinking, again.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #1603
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

I'm thinking about the FZ\, but my bud at the KTM dealership is telling me to hold off. He wants me to get this from him. KTM Super Duke 1290R. Lord knows how much, but a little over 400 lbs, and 163 Dyno'ed HP, gotta be the best motorcycle available to us humans...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #1604
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Yep, looking at that, too. I had an '08 SD. They say this one is MUCH better in most every respect. Price and mpg's will be key to me. Yes, mpg's, even on this bike. If I'm just commuting, it's gotta' do decently. If it's over 40, it'll be hard to say no for less than $15K. In my book, anyway. Lotta' cash but way cool and impressive.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #1605
versysrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Yep, looking at that, too. I had an '08 SD. They say this one is MUCH better in most every respect. Price and mpg's will be key to me. Yes, mpg's, even on this bike. If I'm just commuting, it's gotta' do decently. If it's over 40, it'll be hard to say no for less than $15K. In my book, anyway. Lotta' cash but way cool and impressive.
I believe msrp on the '08 SD was $13K. The current '13 SMT is listed @ $14K, with the same 990 engine as in the '08 SD. Do you really think your gonna pick up a 2014 1290 SD for $15K?

When monkey's fly.

But yes, it's the most BadAss bike on the planet, and I'd probably kill myself on it.