Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #151
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
very nice!
now where is the XC ADV bike version???

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #152
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 469
Needs more motor!

I like the looks quite a bit.

I like the specs.

I like the style.

I DO NOT like this trend of smaller motors.

What about something that is a bit scary? Why about something that captures the imagination? What about something that that is lust inducing?

Bikes are being produced with "sufficient" motors these days. I certainly think that there is a place for smaller, fuel economy minded machines. I don't know how, or why anyone rides anything under 1000cc. I realize that is just my personal preference. I'm glad that others can enjoy that NC700 thing that Honda put out and all the other unoffensive, practical models out there.

I watched the "Dark Side" video that they put out a few weeks before the announcement of the bike, and it really got my hopes up. Then, they did exactly what I was afraid they would do. They went the very opposite of "dark". Safe...

I am still hoping that a 1200ish version of this motor comes out in a bike like this. But, the way it usually works is the beast comes first to capture the heart and emotions and imagination, then the smaller versions come later.

I'm not interested in "enough". That's not what riding is about for me. If it is for you, cool! I just wish that the manufacturers would put their balls out there a little bit and rember that this whole thing is about passion also.

I know that the bottom line has to be met, I own and operate two small businesses. But, this is a "nice little package". Where's the "dark"? I want the bike they led us to believe they were coming out with.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #153
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post

What about something that is a bit scary? Why about something that captures the imagination? What about something that that is lust inducing?

Bikes are being produced with "sufficient" motors these days.
Where have you been???

Don't tell me you want a 180Kg V-Max for $7999.00 right?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #154
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Where have you been???

Don't tell me you want a 180Kg V-Max for $7999.00 right?

You got me there. Who doesn't dig a Vmax? Of course I don't expect a large motored bike to be light or cheap.

I like the FZ1, didn't before but I'm coming around. In fact I might own one soon. Anyhow, I was just hoping for more "dark" with this new bike. Something with a big scary triple, kinda like a Yamaha version of the ZRX with 3 pots.

Now you've got me wanting a Vmax...
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #155
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,951
Quote:
I like the looks quite a bit.

I like the specs.

I like the style.

Bikes are being produced with "sufficient" motors these days. I certainly think that there is a place for smaller, fuel economy minded machines. I don't know how, or why anyone rides anything under 1000cc. I realize that is just my personal preference. I'm glad that others can enjoy that NC700 thing that Honda put out and all the other unoffensive, practical models out there.

I watched the "Dark Side" video that they put out a few weeks before the announcement of the bike, and it really got my hopes up. Then, they did exactly what I was afraid they would do. They went the very opposite of "dark". Safe...

I am still hoping that a 1200ish version of this motor comes out in a bike like this. But, the way it usually works is the beast comes first to capture the heart and emotions and imagination, then the smaller versions come later.

I'm not interested in "enough". That's not what riding is about for me. If it is for you, cool! I just wish that the manufacturers would put their balls out there a little bit and rember that this whole thing is about passion also.

I know that the bottom line has to be met, I own and operate two small businesses. But, this is a "nice little package". Where's the "dark"? I want the bike they led us to believe they were coming out with.
Because, by Yamaha's own admission, they have dropped the ball in Europe, and this is a Euro-targeted bike.

As such, it's built at 850cc because Euro riders are riding slower (due to speed limit enforcement and falling max speeds on public roads) and riding less (due the high cost of fuel).

So here is Yamaha's affordable, desirable, answer. So they would say.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #156
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Because, by Yamaha's own admission, they have dropped the ball in Europe, and this is a Euro-targeted bike.

As such, it's built at 850cc because Euro riders are riding slower (due to speed limit enforcement and falling max speeds on public roads) and riding less (due the high cost of fuel).

So here is Yamaha's affordable, desirable, answer. So they would say.

That makes perfect sense... I still want something "dark", as advertised.

Best of luck to all who will enjoy the bike. It's a cool machine, looke like an enjoyable package.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #157
Zammy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
You got me there. Who doesn't dig a Vmax? Of course I don't expect a large motored bike to be light or cheap.

I like the FZ1, didn't before but I'm coming around. In fact I might own one soon. Anyhow, I was just hoping for more "dark" with this new bike. Something with a big scary triple, kinda like a Yamaha version of the ZRX with 3 pots.

Now you've got me wanting a Vmax...
Go demo a Z1000 first ...You'll be glad you did
Zammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #158
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammy View Post
Go demo a Z1000 first ...You'll be glad you did
Pfft Beginners bike..

Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #159
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 2,997
These numbers don't look slow to me. 106hp out of a light bike should be able to rip in the right hands.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #160
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,091
Quote:
That resembles a mechanical insectoid that has beed hit obliquely with a giant swatter.

Mongol Rally 2014: www.teamvanvan.com
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925019
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #161
CAW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
And...the Sport Touring version...the final step that Triumph refuses to take.
Are you talking about a sport tour version of the street triple? I thought the sprint St is their sport tour triple.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #162
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
very nice!
now where is the XC ADV bike version???
I hope there is an ADV version coming, to coincide with the new 1000 Vstrom.

nlp
Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #163
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
On the surface it appears that you percevie that I am against "technology" and as such make childish assumptions regarding my choice of mounts. Feh.

The truth of the matter is that safety begins with the rider. Some people are too skeered, worried, fretsome or just insecure in their own abilities to ride a bike not equipped with ABS. Or traction control. Or what ever may come next.

Fine.

I am not.

"Fear ABS", how ignorant a suppostion that for all intents and purposes was made to pass off my statements as dross. Perhaps I wrote over your head? No...That is impossible given your ability to craft (for the most part) an other wise decently composed reply.

You can vote with your dollars or not. You can tell Yamaha you need more choices or not. Yamaha like all manufacturers is in business to sell product. US buyers are stupid fickle. They claim (in forums such as this) to want some thing and when it arrives they stay away in droves. The FZ9 is a nice enough bike at a more than reasonable price. Some people feeeeeeeeeeeeel they neeeeeeeeeeeeeed ABS. Fine. It will not save the from themselves. They fear not having it. They fear themselves or rather their abilities as riders.

I do not ride to practice, as you say, a "well practiced craft". I ride for transportation and for pleasure. I enjoy what little time I am afforded on my bike.

Your final "remark" is sophomoric at best and ridicuously priapic at minimum. As for penis size, given your round about attempt at belittling me via said remark it shoud be noted that I could give a poo about such drivel. But if you keep up this childishness I can assure you that you are behaving like a dick. Perhaps the biggest one here on AdvRider.

Thus endeth the lesson for today. Oh...And try not to be a big dick.
Be well.

The Toad
Thank you for clarifying that your position is one of posture
Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #164
CAW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
That resembles a mechanical insectoid that has beed hit obliquely with a giant swatter.
Just a poor photo shop job. It would likely look great in the flesh. I would love to see it with a round lamp and some analog gauges (showing my age?).

Not to change the subject too much, but why don't manufacturers put one of these motors in a "vintage" frame. Like a thruxton with a speed triple mill. The Ducati classic series from several years back comes to mind. The cb1100 is close, but not quite what I was thinking.

What I like about old frame set ups - tank to carry 5 gallons of gas for a good range, flat tank for tank bag, flat seat for long distance comfort and to fit multiple body lengths and easy to accessorize with hard bags, soft bags, racks, etc.

Guess I am a retro grouch. Who knew.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #165
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Make it shaft drive with cruise control, traction control, and a 250 mile range and it's mine. BUT..... It's gotta fuel way better then my S10!

Regards, Paul