ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #151
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
very nice!
now where is the XC ADV bike version???
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #152
stripple
Runnin' Hard
 
stripple's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muskrat Flats
Oddometer: 469
Needs more motor!

I like the looks quite a bit.

I like the specs.

I like the style.

I DO NOT like this trend of smaller motors.

What about something that is a bit scary? Why about something that captures the imagination? What about something that that is lust inducing?

Bikes are being produced with "sufficient" motors these days. I certainly think that there is a place for smaller, fuel economy minded machines. I don't know how, or why anyone rides anything under 1000cc. I realize that is just my personal preference. I'm glad that others can enjoy that NC700 thing that Honda put out and all the other unoffensive, practical models out there.

I watched the "Dark Side" video that they put out a few weeks before the announcement of the bike, and it really got my hopes up. Then, they did exactly what I was afraid they would do. They went the very opposite of "dark". Safe...

I am still hoping that a 1200ish version of this motor comes out in a bike like this. But, the way it usually works is the beast comes first to capture the heart and emotions and imagination, then the smaller versions come later.

I'm not interested in "enough". That's not what riding is about for me. If it is for you, cool! I just wish that the manufacturers would put their balls out there a little bit and rember that this whole thing is about passion also.


I know that the bottom line has to be met, I own and operate two small businesses. But, this is a "nice little package". Where's the "dark"? I want the bike they led us to believe they were coming out with.
__________________
“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S. Thompson
stripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #153
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post

I DO NOT like this trend of smaller motors.

What about something that is a bit scary? Why about something that captures the imagination? What about something that that is lust inducing?

Bikes are being produced with "sufficient" motors these days.
Where have you been???



Don't tell me you want a 180Kg V-Max for $7999.00 right?
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #154
stripple
Runnin' Hard
 
stripple's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muskrat Flats
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Where have you been???



Don't tell me you want a 180Kg V-Max for $7999.00 right?

You got me there. Who doesn't dig a Vmax? Of course I don't expect a large motored bike to be light or cheap.

I like the FZ1, didn't before but I'm coming around. In fact I might own one soon. Anyhow, I was just hoping for more "dark" with this new bike. Something with a big scary triple, kinda like a Yamaha version of the ZRX with 3 pots.

Now you've got me wanting a Vmax...
__________________
“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S. Thompson
stripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #155
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 15,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
I like the looks quite a bit.

I like the specs.

I like the style.

I DO NOT like this trend of smaller motors.

What about something that is a bit scary? Why about something that captures the imagination? What about something that that is lust inducing?

Bikes are being produced with "sufficient" motors these days. I certainly think that there is a place for smaller, fuel economy minded machines. I don't know how, or why anyone rides anything under 1000cc. I realize that is just my personal preference. I'm glad that others can enjoy that NC700 thing that Honda put out and all the other unoffensive, practical models out there.

I watched the "Dark Side" video that they put out a few weeks before the announcement of the bike, and it really got my hopes up. Then, they did exactly what I was afraid they would do. They went the very opposite of "dark". Safe...

I am still hoping that a 1200ish version of this motor comes out in a bike like this. But, the way it usually works is the beast comes first to capture the heart and emotions and imagination, then the smaller versions come later.

I'm not interested in "enough". That's not what riding is about for me. If it is for you, cool! I just wish that the manufacturers would put their balls out there a little bit and rember that this whole thing is about passion also.


I know that the bottom line has to be met, I own and operate two small businesses. But, this is a "nice little package". Where's the "dark"? I want the bike they led us to believe they were coming out with.
Because, by Yamaha's own admission, they have dropped the ball in Europe, and this is a Euro-targeted bike.

As such, it's built at 850cc because Euro riders are riding slower (due to speed limit enforcement and falling max speeds on public roads) and riding less (due the high cost of fuel).

So here is Yamaha's affordable, desirable, answer. So they would say.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #156
stripple
Runnin' Hard
 
stripple's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muskrat Flats
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Because, by Yamaha's own admission, they have dropped the ball in Europe, and this is a Euro-targeted bike.

As such, it's built at 850cc because Euro riders are riding slower (due to speed limit enforcement and falling max speeds on public roads) and riding less (due the high cost of fuel).

So here is Yamaha's affordable, desirable, answer. So they would say.

That makes perfect sense... I still want something "dark", as advertised.

Best of luck to all who will enjoy the bike. It's a cool machine, looke like an enjoyable package.
__________________
“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S. Thompson
stripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #157
Zammy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Zammy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Decatur , Al.
Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
You got me there. Who doesn't dig a Vmax? Of course I don't expect a large motored bike to be light or cheap.

I like the FZ1, didn't before but I'm coming around. In fact I might own one soon. Anyhow, I was just hoping for more "dark" with this new bike. Something with a big scary triple, kinda like a Yamaha version of the ZRX with 3 pots.

Now you've got me wanting a Vmax...
Go demo a Z1000 first ...You'll be glad you did
Zammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #158
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammy View Post
Go demo a Z1000 first ...You'll be glad you did
Pfft Beginners bike..
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #159
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D
 
Super Sneaky Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 2,997
These numbers don't look slow to me. 106hp out of a light bike should be able to rip in the right hands.
__________________
Daily brain food here!
Super Sneaky Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #160
Bongolia
stop acting
 
Bongolia's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Oddometer: 16,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
That resembles a mechanical insectoid that has beed hit obliquely with a giant swatter.
__________________
A Pariah on the farm
There's nothing wrong with playing the organ unorthodoxically.

Mongol Rally 2014: www.teamvanvan.com
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925019
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #161
CAW
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
And...the Sport Touring version...the final step that Triumph refuses to take.
Are you talking about a sport tour version of the street triple? I thought the sprint St is their sport tour triple.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #162
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer
 
NateLePain's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Central AR
Oddometer: 4,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
very nice!
now where is the XC ADV bike version???
I hope there is an ADV version coming, to coincide with the new 1000 Vstrom.

nlp
__________________
'10 Triumph StRiple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR80R, '03 Honda XR70R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #163
DFH
270 deg crank
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
On the surface it appears that you percevie that I am against "technology" and as such make childish assumptions regarding my choice of mounts. Feh.

The truth of the matter is that safety begins with the rider. Some people are too skeered, worried, fretsome or just insecure in their own abilities to ride a bike not equipped with ABS. Or traction control. Or what ever may come next.

Fine.

I am not.

"Fear ABS", how ignorant a suppostion that for all intents and purposes was made to pass off my statements as dross. Perhaps I wrote over your head? No...That is impossible given your ability to craft (for the most part) an other wise decently composed reply.

You can vote with your dollars or not. You can tell Yamaha you need more choices or not. Yamaha like all manufacturers is in business to sell product. US buyers are stupid fickle. They claim (in forums such as this) to want some thing and when it arrives they stay away in droves. The FZ9 is a nice enough bike at a more than reasonable price. Some people feeeeeeeeeeeeel they neeeeeeeeeeeeeed ABS. Fine. It will not save the from themselves. They fear not having it. They fear themselves or rather their abilities as riders.

I do not ride to practice, as you say, a "well practiced craft". I ride for transportation and for pleasure. I enjoy what little time I am afforded on my bike.

Your final "remark" is sophomoric at best and ridicuously priapic at minimum. As for penis size, given your round about attempt at belittling me via said remark it shoud be noted that I could give a poo about such drivel. But if you keep up this childishness I can assure you that you are behaving like a dick. Perhaps the biggest one here on AdvRider.

Thus endeth the lesson for today. Oh...And try not to be a big dick.
Be well.

The Toad
Thank you for clarifying that your position is one of posture
__________________
270 deg crank
DFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #164
CAW
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
That resembles a mechanical insectoid that has beed hit obliquely with a giant swatter.
Just a poor photo shop job. It would likely look great in the flesh. I would love to see it with a round lamp and some analog gauges (showing my age?).

Not to change the subject too much, but why don't manufacturers put one of these motors in a "vintage" frame. Like a thruxton with a speed triple mill. The Ducati classic series from several years back comes to mind. The cb1100 is close, but not quite what I was thinking.

What I like about old frame set ups - tank to carry 5 gallons of gas for a good range, flat tank for tank bag, flat seat for long distance comfort and to fit multiple body lengths and easy to accessorize with hard bags, soft bags, racks, etc.

Guess I am a retro grouch. Who knew.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #165
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Make it shaft drive with cruise control, traction control, and a 250 mile range and it's mine. BUT..... It's gotta fuel way better then my S10!

Regards, Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014