Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #2236
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodninja420 View Post
I think it's about guaranteed we will see both an adv model and a sport touring model with this engine. It's just good not to put in other platforms.

Though I do hope they give the models some actual useful differentiation. I.e. not take the purely cosmetic approach Honda did with their 500 line.
I think it's the way of the future, It has worked for the Europeans and complete redesigns don't see to be exiting the crowd at all. If BMW can pop 7 models out of one platform and still sell well then I think you will find the Japanese will head that way as well.

BUT I too would prefer that a FZ based Tenere was stronger. Just a hunch but really light and tough conditions don't often mix. (The thing there of course is most people apparently just don't get into tough conditions for very long or at all)

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 AM   #2237
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,502
SW-Motech will have an Alu-Rack available in the spring . . . It looks like it will be lower than the OEM rear rack (seat height) . . . Part# GPT.06.453.15000.B

The FZ-09 will be fine for commuting and shorter Adventure-type rides. The smooth engine, upright seating position, and extra leg room . . . Make it a great Geezer Bike too:

Not sure I need hand guards with my heated Rally Grips:

Madstad has new products for the FZ-09:

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.12041/.f

2014 DL650A for the "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 11:07 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #2238
motorock
Explorer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
SW-Motech will have an Alu-Rack available in the spring . . . It looks like it will be lower than the OEM rear rack (seat height) . . . Part# GPT.06.453.15000.B

Not sure I need hand guards with my heated Rally Grips:

Madstad has new products for the FZ-09:

[/URL]
Those look like Pro Grips that I had on one of my older bikes. But if you are riding in low temperatures, you probably do need an added protection of the hand guards. I have ridden in lows of 14-20F and needed heated grips on full blast, handguards and a heated glove- heated grips cannot keep the finger tips or the top of the hand warm while handguards give a bit of protection from direct cold wind.
motorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #2239
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
+1 on hand guards. Not only do they help protect the hands, they look so cool, with SM styling. Have them on my KLR and glad I do. Help protect parts, should one happen to drop the bike in an off pavement situation. tp
Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #2240
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
I'd not put hand guards on this bike. Then, again, I don't want to weigh it down or clutter it up, in general. Having done what you've already done and looking for what you're looking for, however, I would do the hand guards in a heartbeat. It'll be practical in a couple ways and balance out the look. Nice.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #2241
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
I'd not put hand guards on this bike. Then, again, I don't want to weigh it down
Why not? The weight might help keep the front wheel down.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #2242
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Better be some heavy hand guards.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #2243
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Better be some heavy hand guards.
Hippo Hands. Made from real hippos.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #2244
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Looked at one at my local dealer and it was nice but I only have 1600 miles on my FZ8 and don't owe a dime on it and I can have just as much fun and go anywhere the FZ9 can go so I am good with my FZ8
Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #2245
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrider300 View Post
I'm already, now, today, leaving women in orgasmic ecstacy every time I buy milk at the mini mart, so why do I need the MT-09?

. . . also, the Heisenberg reference was lost on me. Measuring something changes it . . .changes what? The motorcycle?

I think there's either an MT9 or 7 (if it comes to the states) in my future. But these awesome bikes deserve real names, not just alphanumeric tags.
Mark Toia has done brilliant TVC's for Yamaha Australia, the MT-09 effort is a bit "meh" compared to some of the earlier ones. Personally I like the literary/narrative style chasing feel & mood rather than cold facts, especially in the early R1 & FJR1300 TVC's. Don't know why the faux 'merican accent in the voice over this time though. That sucks. BTW Mark was an A grade racer in the past as well, so not just an TVC shooter but a motorcyclist too boot!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #2246
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Local dealer says they are selling really, really well.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #2247
flienlow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
[QUOTE=versysrider;23478299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycorp View Post
hey guys, don't think this is 205, but I found this cruising the web.

Its an integrated LED tail light kit. Cleans up the rear and has brake/runninglight/turn/hazard functionality built in.

Forum where I found it http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/13-f...n-signals.html

Place to order http://www.folcik.com/products/ll001.htm#.Uv_fhfldXh4

Video:

Ya, I thought about getting in on the group buy for that, but I didn't want to lose the stock running light, which turns into the turn signals in that configuration. I think the stock running light, and the whole taillight looks cool. Here's a pic of my bike with the running light lit up for comparison.
I didn't do a tail tidy because I ride all year round, and have a private drive (gravel) that is about 1/4 mile long. Two of my other bikes have tail tidy's and the seat behind me gets covered with gravel chips going down my drive. I used to be pretty anal about keeping my bikes spotless.... no more.
Trees in the background were cut down, and girdled by our resident beaver.

Versysrider- Being a former V Pilot myself, I am wondering what your insights are as a comparison between the 2 bikes? This seems to be a Versys with power and little better fit and finish, would you agree? Have you tested the highway legs with it?

PS. Glad to see you picked your up from Adventure. Scott's a great guy.
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #2248
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon View Post
MSRP plus tax plus DMV. NO OTHER FEES. Is fair pricing for a high demand model.

At 7% tax I got mine for $8900 OTD. This includes 4 years of YES. 5 years unlimited mile warranty.
Westfield Powersports in Indiana was quoting an FZ-09 for $6800 plus delivery and setup for an out the door price for ~$7300 plus tax. The orange one is gorgeous!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #2249
mattness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Westfield Powersports in Indiana was quoting an FZ-09 for $6800 plus delivery and setup for an out the door price for ~$7300 plus tax. The orange one is gorgeous!
quoted for truth. I have the picture on my phone, 6,790 + set up + tax

my monthly payment with my trade in was going to be 67 dollars. my insurance every month was going to be 212 dollars. So I'm going to have to pass.
mattness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #2250
flienlow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness View Post
quoted for truth. I have the picture on my phone, 6,790 + set up + tax

my monthly payment with my trade in was going to be 67 dollars. my insurance every month was going to be 212 dollars. So I'm going to have to pass.
Try Geico?
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote