ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #2266
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
More weight, less power, less comfortable, why?

It uses more gas.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #2267
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
USMC_Engineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: SE / PA.
Oddometer: 170
Question Fz-09 or hyperstrada??

Ok fellas,


Fz-09 $8500 OTD and $500 for 48 mo YES Plan ($225-$550 less than other quotes I got for the bike locally, am waiting to see if they can do a little better Tomm as I have seen better deals but not local) and 72 months @ 3.49.

OR

2013 demo hyperstrada w/ 341 miles (3k discount total and 0.99% for 60mo = $11900 OTD).

Above prices include 6% tax and fees.

Bike will be ocational commuter (18 miles each way, 10 highway) and my weekend / free time/ fun time bike.

I have not demo'd the hyperstrada yet but have taken out the fz-09 and had a frickin blast.

Has anyone here been considering both bikes??
__________________
Heading out on a ride with no destination in mind.
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #2268
cls
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N GA
Oddometer: 989
I have, among others. For me, it just comes down to I can't make myself do a Duc. Otherwise, I think it'd be an absolute hoot. Love the FZ, though. And it's a Yammie. Too easy.
cls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #2269
dirtdreamer50
long time rider
 
dirtdreamer50's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: texas coast
Oddometer: 1,027
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stmu0PEUQX4

Motard and Strada basically the same except for the seat and bags. Here's what Nicky Hayden can do with one. BTW, check out around the two minute mark, his clutch control. Amazing work.... I was looking at the Motard a while back, but the costs were just too much for me, Harley high.

The two bikes, though similar cc's, aren't that much more similar. Check the cost difference in insurance and maintenance, and add to the totals and see what real cost difference would be. Personally, I've always wanted a Duc, but the fact that I could buy almost two 09's for the Duc's cost, the choice to me is obvious, the 09 and soft bags will do...
__________________
Little Fauss: I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life, then I fell off.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #2270
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
USMC_Engineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: SE / PA.
Oddometer: 170
Yup, those YouTube vids are one of the reasons I was considering the mortard, but after visiting the dealership, I found the demo hyperstrata and low and behold with all the discounts I qualified for and the demo disc (341 miles!!) it turned out to actually be cheaper than a brand new mortard.

So in essence that huge 3k disc along with the 0.99 apr for 60 actually made the bike kinda affordable but still a little above where I want to be budget wise.

But I cannot get out of my mind how much fun I had on the fz-09 demo ride last fall. The most fun I've ever had on a bike.

My only hesitation is as a commuter bike it kinda sucks wearing a backpack...I would def get the fly screen for the fz for the wind...



Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stmu0PEUQX4

Motard and Strada basically the same except for the seat and bags. Here's what Nicky Hayden can do with one. BTW, check out around the two minute mark, his clutch control. Amazing work.... I was looking at the Motard a while back, but the costs were just too much for me, Harley high.

The two bikes, though similar cc's, aren't that much more similar. Check the cost difference in insurance and maintenance, and add to the totals and see what real cost difference would be. Personally, I've always wanted a Duc, but the fact that I could buy almost two 09's for the Duc's cost, the choice to me is obvious, the 09 and soft bags will do...
__________________
Heading out on a ride with no destination in mind.
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #2271
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,470
Holly Cr@p! I would kill myself on that bike. The FZ-09 has as much power as I want . . . for as light as it is.

Maybe I can talk my buddy into getting a used one . . . Then I can try it!

__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #2272
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Stephenmarklay's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Engineer View Post
Yup, those YouTube vids are one of the reasons I was considering the mortard, but after visiting the dealership, I found the demo hyperstrata and low and behold with all the discounts I qualified for and the demo disc (341 miles!!) it turned out to actually be cheaper than a brand new mortard.

So in essence that huge 3k disc along with the 0.99 apr for 60 actually made the bike kinda affordable but still a little above where I want to be budget wise.

But I cannot get out of my mind how much fun I had on the fz-09 demo ride last fall. The most fun I've ever had on a bike.

My only hesitation is as a commuter bike it kinda sucks wearing a backpack...I would def get the fly screen for the fz for the wind...

You can get the yamaha saddle bags for it for commuting. They look pretty good. I have not ridden the fz09 a huge amount but some and more miles on the hyperstrada. I would do the Fz09. Its not perfect at all but I do like it. They hyperstrada is better with the hypermotard seat for comfort. The hyper does have better suspension and abs / traction control. For me however, at 6'0" the FZ09 feels better.
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #2273
dirtdreamer50
long time rider
 
dirtdreamer50's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: texas coast
Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Engineer View Post

My only hesitation is as a commuter bike it kinda sucks wearing a backpack...I would def get the fly screen for the fz for the wind...


https://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1655

A set of bags that are available that don't need supports. I've use the Spirit 50's on several bikes. Just strap them down and go.. Upper straps will go under the seat for a more permanent installation. $100 is all it takes...
__________________
Little Fauss: I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life, then I fell off.

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 08:23 PM
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #2274
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,470
I will get the OEM rear carrier Monday . . . So I can move my rear case from my passenger seat . . . to behind my seat. It is a low profile soft case . . . Hopefully, it will not sit too high.

__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #2275
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
USMC_Engineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: SE / PA.
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
I will get the OEM rear carrier Monday . . . So I can move my rear case from my passenger seat . . . to behind my seat. It is a low profile soft case . . . Hopefully, it will not sit too high.

That rear rack actually looks pretty slick! How much was it?
__________________
Heading out on a ride with no destination in mind.
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #2276
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
USMC_Engineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: SE / PA.
Oddometer: 170
To the fellas running the zeta handguards with the turn signals built in...

How tought is the wiring? Is splicing involved? I'd hate the fu€k the new bike up... And so they help with blocking much cold air or just for looks?

Anyone running heated grips?

And which frame/fork/ sliders do you all recommend?
__________________
Heading out on a ride with no destination in mind.
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #2277
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Colorado_Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
It uses more gas.
More range and more practical as well. Better suspension and no on-off RBW throttle response either. Probably less exciting but everything is a compromise. I've ridden neither but happy with either, so don't listen to me.

Here's an FZ09 where the dealer won't screw you over if anyone's interested.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4354061884.html

Colorado_Rider screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 09:49 PM
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #2278
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
More weight, less power, less comfortable, why?
You forgot more expensive.

I just said i like it - as in - the looks, a subjective thing.
Also, it fixes the main issue my FZ6 has, low down torque.
FZ09 looks too "modern" to me, if there is such a thing.

I have no doubts it's more smiles per mile though.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:04 AM   #2279
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto
 
Rodknee's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: new friggin york
Oddometer: 2,067
i swung a leg over a fz-09 yesterday. i like it. i have a supermoto background, and it just seems to fit ergonomically.

i really want to ride one before i dump 9k (bike and stupid high tax/registration rate). i need to find a dealer that has a demo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
my ass was jealous of Rodney's day-long-ass.
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #2280
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Engineer View Post
That rear rack actually looks pretty slick! How much was it?
Under $220 (no tax or frt): Only one left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291077714143...xp=mtr&afsrc=1
__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014