Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #226
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
Same bike, MT-09 in Europe and FZ 09 in the US.

Only the colour of indicators and the extra reflex makes them apart from what I can see?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #227
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
I could just care less about this particular facet of riding. If a bike I desire has ABS, fine. If not, fine.

I am not "advanced" at any thing really, I just do not see why some people are scared of themselves, i.e., their ability to ride. You know... To pay attention. To ride not at the limits of a particular machine but at the legal limits dictated by laws. ABS is fine. People thinking they need it or they can not buy a bike nor even ride it is with out that feature is ridiculous.

As evidenced by some here refusing to even look at an other wise fine bike because it does not have the magic ABS to "protect" them this is not an isolated out break of being skeeered. But that does not mean I have to think it is not some what silly.

The Toad
I respect your opinion and respectfully disagree, at least from my own perspective. I tend to gravitate towards ABS equipped bikes for a variety of reasons:

1) For street riding, modern ABS systems are better at modulating brakes than even the most modern of humans. This translates into shorter stopping distances.

2) ABS seamlessly adapts to changing traction conditions better than humans.

3) though I have 40 years of riding experience - 30 of them on the street and track - and though I am a very competent rider, I also recognize that I am aging. ABS doesn't make me young again, but it is proven to reduce stopping distances under most street riding conditions even for highly skilled riders. If it saves me 10 feet, even 5 feet, that may be the difference between a panic stop or a panic stop with a bang at the end.

Count me in the camp that thinks it sucks they aren't giving the USA the ABS version. But in the interest of full disclosure I also have to be counted in the group that will "stay away in droves" (love that!), since I already own a Triumph triple with ABS.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #228
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yes it's just Marketing Mumbo. A triple, as currently set up, is naturally cross plane at 120 Deg angles. But there was some mention of firing order being different. All the info was from a shortish press day so I assume there are a few mistakes due to the fact that the Journo's were falling asleep with all the usual "Marketing droid speak" going on.

But on the other hand it's true, it's just that others haven't used the term. Yamaha is becoming the Cross plane company. You can have a 180 Degree triple though, but that is probably too much character these days.
A 180 Degree triple would need a hell of a counter balancing system or it would shake like a mother, you would always have two pistons at the top or bottom of the travel at once.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #229
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I respect your opinion and respectfully disagree, at least from my own perspective. I tend to gravitate towards ABS equipped bikes for a variety of reasons:

1) For street riding, modern ABS systems are better at modulating brakes than even the most modern of humans. This translates into shorter stopping distances.

2) ABS seamlessly adapts to changing traction conditions better than humans.

3) though I have 40 years of riding experience - 30 of them on the street and track - and though I am a very competent rider, I also recognize that I am aging. ABS doesn't make me young again, but it is proven to reduce stopping distances under most street riding conditions even for highly skilled riders. If it saves me 10 feet, even 5 feet, that may be the difference between a panic stop or a panic stop with a bang at the end.

Count me in the camp that thinks it sucks they aren't giving the USA the ABS version. But in the interest of full disclosure I also have to be counted in the group that will "stay away in droves" (love that!), since I already own a Triumph triple with ABS.

Preach it.

I never had ABS til recently. I'd never buy another bike without it. I'm a decent rider...I would do long stoppies on my bicycle in Jr. High...and ride a motorcycle about the same way....but it's not the planned stop that makes ABS worthwhile, it's the unplanned stop.

To wit: my brother was riding back from Alaska to the east coast with his son. Both are very experienced riders. They're in Idaho, near dusk, both tired, on an empty two-laner and they see a herd of deer in the distance. Yup, time to stare at the deer!

And.....of course, one of those coy little deer sneaks up from the other side of the road, and jumps out in front of them. Lead rider (my nephew), hammers on his brakes, misses the deer by a few feet. My brother, trailing him, looks up at the last second to see his son hard on the brakes. So what does he do? Grabs too much disc and down he goes at 50 mph. Slides onto the shoulder, into the ditch.

His Vstrom is ridable but banged up, his ribs are banged up (and barely rideable), and it's all because in a moment of OH SSHHHIITT!!! he makes a mistake.

He says ABS prob. would have made it a non-event.

That's all. It's a good tool. Too bad Yamaha doesn't have it here. I wouldn't buy this bike because of it, because there are similar bikes that do have ABS.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #230
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,922
I'm sure ABS is great and all but I don't want it. Even if it's standard equipment you still have to pay for it.

Just wait for a season or two and if the demand is there it will come out in ABS too, just like all the other popular models.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #231
arkadi01
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Back on topic--Neat bike, but does anyone else want to see a XJR1300 style bike using this engine? The thunderbird sport was a beautiful bike, and I wish I could find one, but I'd take a modern interpretation from yamaha.
arkadi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #232
G 981
www.clublaverda.com

Oddometer: 97
Laverda made 180 triples for many years.
The alternator flywheel added mass to try to fool the crank into some sort of balance.
They don't shake as bad in reality as they should in theory.
G 981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #233
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I respect your opinion and respectfully disagree,
you wouldn't even ride it without ABS?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #234
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
Having looked at it a bit more, the specs are quite impressive. It's out soon, so I guess we'll see the first reviews trickle in.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #235
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
I never had ABS til recently. I'd never buy another bike without it. I'm a decent rider...I would do long stoppies on my bicycle in Jr. High...and ride a motorcycle about the same way....but it's not the planned stop that makes ABS worthwhile, it's the unplanned stop.
I never thought I would want ABS on a bike - I was too good of a rider..... and wayyyy too cool. That is until a Lexus slammed on it's brakes in front of me for no reason in Hollywood as I was changing lanes and looking over my shoulder. My wife grabbing me signaled there was a serious problem and I MASHED both brakes on my 1150GS. We clicked to a stop about 1/2 an inch from the Lexus.
ABS kept me and the woman out of the hospital without question (a few times)

(defeatable) ABS
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #236
dlmarquez
dlm

Oddometer: 79
Hijack

I really don't mean to divert this meaningful discussion of life, motorcycles, and ABS,

BUT: i would really be interested in a little bro to the 900
Let's say for instance a 400-500cc triple
Something for all of us who enjoy the virtues of a smaller bike
Not even gonna touch ABS!
dlmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #237
CAW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmarquez View Post
I really don't mean to divert this meaningful discussion of life, motorcycles, and ABS,

Now that's a thought. I wonder how expense and power of a 450 triple would compare to a modern twin or modern single. It would certainly be without peer.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #238
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,922
Quote:

Now that they beat the Street Triple I think they will go after the Speed Triple.

I see a 1200cc bike in the future.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #239
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:

Yes. I am thinking R4. Sounds awesome.

I am also thinking a Tenere 850

I am also thinking FJR 850.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #240
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Now that they beat the Street Triple I think they will go after the Speed Triple
how has the Street Triple been beaten?
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote