Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #2461
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by [N8] View Post
Anyone know where I could demo one of these near Lancaster/York/Harrisburg PA?
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/outdoor/yamahaevents

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #2462
[N8]
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks! Not till July...Ugh.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #2463
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by [N8] View Post
Anyone know where I could demo one of these near Lancaster/York/Harrisburg PA?
B&B shows that they have a couple in stock; YM1843 Blazing Orange, YM1169 Liquid Graphite, YM1811 Rapid Red. Don't know about their demo policy...
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #2464
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 790
200 mile Adventure ride today

From Central Jersey to New Hope PA to South Jersey Pine Barons.
started out a 9am this morning and home at 5:30 for dinner.
I need a better seat and some dual sport tires.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #2465
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
From Central Jersey to New Hope PA to South Jersey Pine Barons.
started out a 9am this morning and home at 5:30 for dinner.
I need a better seat and some dual sport tires.
Hopefully the Adventure version will be available, in the not too distant future. If that Versys can go off road, with the right tires , so could the FZ.

I will wait for the Adventure/touring version....

FWIW, the June issue of Motorcyclist magazine has a good article on the MT-07. Hope it comes here, too.tp
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #2466
[N8]
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
B&B shows that they have a couple in stock; YM1843 Blazing Orange, YM1169 Liquid Graphite, YM1811 Rapid Red. Don't know about their demo policy...
Yup they got 'em but I don't think they let you ride until you're really serious and even then I don't think it's anything extensive. I come from a supermoto / dual sport background so I don't know if I'd like one or not, but I like what I've read here...
Old 04-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #2467
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Hopefully the Adventure version will be available, in the not too distant future. If that Versys can go off road, with the right tires , so could the FZ.

I will wait for the Adventure/touring version....

FWIW, the June issue of Motorcyclist magazine has a good article on the MT-07. Hope it comes here, too.tp
Look closer and you will see that Versey has about $2K worth of custom wheels on her. Spokes front and back on Acell rims, 19" front and 18" rear.
It is a real sweet machine. I was going that route myself until I sat on the FZ09 at the NY Cycle show.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #2468
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Look closer and you will see that Versey has about $2K worth of custom wheels on her. Spokes front and back on Acell rims, 19" front and 18" rear.
It is a real sweet machine. I was going that route myself until I sat on the FZ09 at the NY Cycle show.
Yep, I noticed the 19" with spokes and knobbies. I went to my Kawi dealer two weeks ago to pick up a Versys, but there was this beautiful used Concours 14 sitting there, for a few hundred less. The C14 came home with me, that day.

If the FZ becomes available in a DS version, I will hopefully add one, if not a Versys may still come home with me, one day... tp
Old 04-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #2469
Wcs_Michfan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Took a demo ride on one today. Cool little bike with a great engine. However, what's up with the throttle/fuel delivery ?? Very "snatchy" in every mode. at low speed. "A" mode seemed to work the best, but the fuel delivery needs some work.

That being said, this bike has a lot of potential and is a hoot to ride. So nimble and light weight. I've heard negative things about the suspension, but I thought it was fine, but I didn't have a chance to go balls out.

I can see picking one up one of these used in a few years for $5k
Wcs_Michfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #2470
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcs_Michfan View Post
Took a demo ride on one today. Cool little bike with a great engine. However, what's up with the throttle/fuel delivery ?? Very "snatchy" in every mode. at low speed. "A" mode seemed to work the best, but the fuel delivery needs some work.

That being said, this bike has a lot of potential and is a hoot to ride. So nimble and light weight. I've heard negative things about the suspension, but I thought it was fine, but I didn't have a chance to go balls out.

I can see picking one up one of these used in a few years for $5k
one stop shopping fixes both of the deficiencies of the FZ09.
Stoltec Moto will flash your ECU for $125 shipped amd will sort your suspension woes as well.
http://www.stoltecmoto.com/
Old 04-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #2471
Wcs_Michfan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
one stop shopping fixes both of the deficiencies of the FZ09.
Stoltec Moto will flash your ECU for $125 shipped amd will sort your suspension woes as well.
http://www.stoltecmoto.com/
If that's the case...... This lil gem would be a nice complement to my concours 14. Such a fun hooligan bike on the cheap.
Wcs_Michfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #2472
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
The Versys has 5.9" of fork travel . . . Look at his front fender . . . Looks like about 4" clearance max. I tried 19" spokes on my V . . . It made a tall bike very tall.

You should try sitting on a XTZ660, that's a WTF even after the Versys.

And I didn't buy a Versys in 2007 because of it's height (was scared since it
was my first big bike back then), so I got the 650R.

Looking back at that decision, I probably would have still owned the Versys
and not gone through 5 bikes since then, but back then I figured 7hp more
for $1k less? YEP!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #2473
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,540
I am really liking this bike. I test rode a Buell XT once on some well groomed dirt roads, and it did just fine. This bike reminds me of the Buell, with a super sweet motor. I could see myself hitting some forest roads out here no problem. Now I just gotta pay off my awesome 14 YZ250F.

Yamaha is putting out some great bikes again.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #2474
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I just saw one and sat on one at a dealer and my interest is totally spiked (again)

When first hearing about this thing about a year ago (?) I was totally interested. After finding out it didn't have ABS, I totally forgot about it and didn't even give it a second thought. No ABS is just dumb and a total no go for me.

I like the budget approach though, giving you maximum thrills for every dollar spent, i applaud that a lot in these times where decent bikes will cost you the price of a sensible car. We seriously need to go back to affordable prices for entertaining bikes. And yamaha is nailing it with this one!

Nothing else needs to be said that has not been said in every review all over the internet, this bike is well received and a hit.

However, did I just dream this up or does this bike now have ABS?? I didn't have much time at the dealership and all the sales people were busy, so I only quickly glanced over the spec sheet, but if it does, I'm seriously considering this. I can't find anything on it on the international yamaha motorcycle website though.

You might think I'm overreacting on the ABS thing, and you might be right. But consider this: I'm not only riding on a sunny afternoon on some perfect little back road mountain road on a quiet afternoon. I wish I was, but I try to ride as often as I can, so I regularly commute or ride in less than ideal conditions.

I am not one to pretend that my brain and reflexes trump an abs, that's idiotic. And for me it feels a little more secure to have this fail safe for the few conditions you might actually need it. Like loosing focus just a little, damp manhole covers, some damp leaves, you know it happened to you as well. And the abs on my previous bikes has seriously saved my ass a few times already (cars pulling out, ...)

So just to wrap this up, ABS might be going against the design brief of this bike (maximum value for money and minimum cost/price) but then again it is not that prohibitively expensive that it can not be included, as an option if necessary. ABS units for almost every mfg are off the shelf components from a third party anyway I imagine.

Yamaha is doing better with this bike than Honda is with their line up, for my personal taste. Sensible but sexy at the same time, not an easy feat to pull off, but I think they nailed it.

Last thing, I'm 6'4" so usually to tall for any of these bikes. However, although a little cramped, the FZ09 didn't seem impossibly small or uncomfortable. That was a nice surprise right there, which makes me hopeful that with just a riser and maybe an aftermarket seat, this bike could be made to fit me just fine. What helps in this regard is the narrow tank. Where most bikes have their faired tanks shaped in such a way that they get in the way of my knees big time, this one doesn't. Im always pushed towards the tall big bore, expensive (!!) adv bikes, and I don't always want to find myself in that segment Sometimes what I want is a light and sharp handling sensibly cheap standard/naked between 600-900 cc. Good luck finding one that fits me, and I hope this one has the potential to be the bike I need :)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:23 AM   #2475
uhwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
At least here in Finland, we can get the bike with or without ABS.
uhwo is offline   Reply With Quote