Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #241
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmarquez View Post
I really don't mean to divert this meaningful discussion of life, motorcycles, and ABS,

BUT: i would really be interested in a little bro to the 900
Let's say for instance a 400-500cc triple
Something for all of us who enjoy the virtues of a smaller bike
Not even gonna touch ABS!

Preferably a two smoker
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #242
basque
Infidel

Oddometer: 679
Can someone with some photoshop skills please stick a round headlight on this bad boy?
basque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #243
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Now that they beat the Street Triple I think they will go after the Speed Triple.

I see a 1200cc bike in the future.
In no way does 847 cc compete fairly with 675 cc. And we haven't seen the suspension, brakes and handling of the FZ-09 yet. From the standpoint of lbs/hp or hp/liter, the STR is unbeaten. And from the standpoint of handling, the FZ-09 has a LOT to live up to. From the price-point, however, the FZ-09 appears to be a lot of bike for the money, and yes, it is cheaper than the Triumph.

People want a smaller FJR and a smaller S10 - so I can see variants of the 847 cc triple motor.

Speed Triple? Are you going to compare 1200 cc's to 1050 cc's? Again, apples and oranges. Plus, with a the new Trophy, I doubt the Triumph will build a 1200 cc triple anytime soon.

A 500 cc Triple, on the other hand, would open another class of power to the displacement category, and with the trend toward smaller motorcycles for the world-wide economy, it can see Triumph going smaller with a second Triple motor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #244
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Speed Triple? Are you going to compare 1200 cc's to 1050 cc's? Again, apples and oranges. Plus, with a the new Trophy, I doubt the Triumph will build a 1200 cc triple anytime soon.
We aren't talking about fruit, we are talking about bikes and all that matters is the market segment.

Triumph has always competed with people interested in 600cc I4's by upping the displacement a little, or a "cheater" bike if you will.

Kawasaki did well with their 636 going by the same concept.

Now, in the spirit of true competition Yamaha is 1uping Triumph.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Street got a displacement bump in the comming years to compete.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #245
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
I think this bike is insanely compelling.

Same weight as the Streetie, more power, lots more torque, for less than $7999
That means I might could get a real world deal of 7kish out the door.

How can you beat that bang for buck???
Much more goes into a good motorcycle the hp and tq........ Suspension, geometry, comfort, handling. Just say'n..

Regards, Paul
Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #246
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Now that they beat the Street Triple I think they will go after the Speed Triple.

I see a 1200cc bike in the future.

Soooooo do tell, in what way have they "beat the Street Triple". Did a little birdie tell ya that? Was it a dream? A vision? A fortune cookie?

Your assumption is a bit premature no?

Regards, Paul
Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #247
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Soooooo do tell, in what way have they "beat the Street Triple". Did a little birdie tell ya that? Was it a dream? A vision? A fortune cookie?

hey, he saw a picture on the internet! How much more evidence do you need.....jeeeez
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #248
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
A 180 Degree triple would need a hell of a counter balancing system or it would shake like a mother, you would always have two pistons at the top or bottom of the travel at once.
Ans XS650 with NO counterbalance always had two pistons at the top or bottom of the travel at once and it only had two pistons.

After that a 180 degree triple would be refined.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #249
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

Regards, Paul
"Beat" is a little subjective as well. IMO, regardless of the spec sheet, and even in terms of objective performance test comparisons, such as HP numbers and so forth, there is still much more to a bike than just numbers. While it may very well be a good bike at an attractive price, it certainly hasn't beat the Triple in terms of looks, in my eyes. And until I actually ride them both I couldn't even begin to say which one would make me smile the most either. We really have no idea at this point which one will turn out to be the most balanced or enjoyable machine.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #250
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
you wouldn't even ride it without ABS?
I ride plenty of motorcycles without ABS, or at least I did when I worked in the biz. But if I were in the market for a new motorcycle I wouldn't buy this bike without ABS when there is a relative equivalent from Triumph that gives me the choice.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #251
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post

Also, how long do you think it is until ABS is mandated? I can certainly see the EU making it mandatory, which means it'll come on everything.
Not long since the EU has already passed a law requiring any motorcycle 125cc or larger to have ABS by 2016. Personally don't care for the big brother laws but it should be an option for consumers on all bikes so we have the choice.

As for this new ride, I think the package looks fantastic and will guess right now it is going to get rave reviews from the moto pundits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #252
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
A 180 Degree triple would need a hell of a counter balancing system or it would shake like a mother, you would always have two pistons at the top or bottom of the travel at once.
Early Laverda triples had 180* cranks. But, there are lots of other methods employed to balance engines of different configurations these days.

But to have a true "cross-plane" crank you have to have the crank pins at 90* to one another. And then to realize its benefits, it has to be configured in such a way as to eliminate the inertial torque applied to the crank.

I'm betting on the outer two pistons rising and falling together and alternately firing every 360*. And then the center piston crank pin is set at 90* to the outer two and that it shares its crank pin with a reciprocating (false piston) weight set-up similar to what BMW used on the F800. This would allow what is essentially a three cylinder version of the inline 4 used in the R1 and give the same inertia torque cancelling effect on the crank. Then the remaining out of balance forces could be dealt with by a using a counter-rotating balance shaft in front of the crank. Pics of the engine show a large balance shaft housing in front of the crank. The rather deep sump design also would allow room for the BMW style "false piston".
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #253
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
Not long since the EU has already passed a law requiring any motorcycle 125cc or larger to have ABS by 2016. Personally don't care for the big brother laws but it should be an option for consumers on all bikes so we have the choice.

As for this new ride, I think the package looks fantastic and will guess right now it is going to get rave reviews from the moto pundits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM
I've read more than once that ABS isn't an option for many American bikes because ABS just doesn't sell. Merka and all that. Big macho thang. Freedom.

And you are right, ABS will compulsory on all bikes in Europe soon.

In fact BMW are working on a 'cornering ABS' that will allow riders to brake deep, deep into curves without low siding.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #254
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I think it's another bike there is no market for........

I think a "light sport touring" bike is a market:

475-500lbs

100HP

Upright ergo's

Hard bags

heated grips

shaft drive

But I also thought Yamaha should have updated the Gen1 FZ1 with better suspension, and fuel injection instead of make another "sportbike like" FZ1

They can park these on the floor next to the S10's

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #255
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
We aren't talking about fruit, we are talking about bikes and all that matters is the market segment.

Triumph has always competed with people interested in 600cc I4's by upping the displacement a little, or a "cheater" bike if you will.

Kawasaki did well with their 636 going by the same concept.

Now, in the spirit of true competition Yamaha is 1uping Triumph.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Street got a displacement bump in the comming years to compete.
Yes, but those 'cheater' bikes, in the main, were better road bikes.

The 600cc supersport class has been so focused, and so expensive to insure for the average rider, that the arse has dropped out of the market.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote