Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #2551
PishPosh
n000000b

Oddometer: 351
Damn, I've been eyeing the new VFR until this thing caught my eye. Just spent the day watching youtube videos on it, and I think I'm obsessed now.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #2552
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
It sits very well . . . Eats up the bumps . . . Very light and flickable. Can be a Hooligan or a commuter bike!

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #2553
PishPosh
n000000b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
It sits very well . . . Eats up the bumps . . . Very light and flickable. Can be a Hooligan or a commuter bike!
What would you say about touring on this bike? Aside from the obvious wind challenges, could you ride this all day with relative comfort? And 2 up?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #2554
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
FJ-09 already trade marked by Yamaha. I'm waiting until fall.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #2555
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
FJ-09 already trade marked by Yamaha. I'm waiting until fall.
Here is a concept design from an Italian design company. Pretty sharp, if Yamaha builds something like this, there will be many happy owners...

Waiting for something like this, too.

Will a current owner post the RPM of their FZ at 60 and 70 MPH, please? Just wondering...tp dd50

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 06:11 PM
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #2556
PishPosh
n000000b

Ahhh so that's what an FJ90 is expected to be..

I gotta say though, one of the biggest things going for the FZ is the appealing price tag. I guess we'll have to wait and see what all of the added parts on the FJ would result in terms of it's cost. I'm not a heavy tourer, but would like to have something that could work for distances if/when I wanted it to.

I think one of the videos I saw mentioned around 5k rpm at 70? I've watched so many videos I could be way off with those numbers though.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #2557
gumpdaddy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PishPosh View Post
What would you say about touring on this bike? Aside from the obvious wind challenges, could you ride this all day with relative comfort? And 2 up?

Will definitely need suspension work front and rear for two up riding and a seat upgrade. Fuel range tops out in the neighborhood of 120-140 miles as well.
gumpdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #2558
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Yamaha has lots of play room when it comes to the "FJ-09". The closest competitive model is the BMW F800GT. 800cc twin with 90HP, 4 US Gal tank, and a wet weight of 470lbs, without side hard bags. The asking price for the 800 is $11,800, plus around a grand for the side bags. It is a sport touring model, like what Yamaha will create, yet BMW promotes it as a two up touring model.

Stiffen the suspension and make it look like the Bar Designs pic I posted, and the FJ-09 will be a nice two up sport touring machine too, without the high speed engine vibration about which many of the GT owners complain. Guess we will have to wait and see... tp
Old 05-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #2559
motorock
Explorer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:

Umm..how about this:
Had top case and saddlebags- all filled to capacity.
Two-up on stock seat and Airhawk for pillion. Together we are about 265 lbs- thin/average build. NYC to DC to Lancaster to Philly and back to NYC- in one week.

Started out on the windiest (heavy gusts of 36-40mph) day I have ever seen but bike was planted- I was the one getting blown from all sides! Wife was fine on the Airhawk- just not used to riding too long. Went through mostly highways and some nice Amish country backroads (without saddlebags one day). The bike did not complain and I wasn't either. Wind was fine- I have ridden nakeds all my life so I didn't care much about wind on my chest on quiet/breezy days. After three days of all-day riding, I can tell you it's pretty good. Just make sure your passenger is comfy- it was the backrest on the top case that bothered the wife the most! (its out now and I am customizing a softer option). I just had to stretch my legs every now and then- a problem long legged people will have.

Overall, the FZ was perfect in every situation. Like a UJM would be.
motorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #2560
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Nice review, motorock.. Sounds like a great time. Read a similar RR from a guy who rode a classic 70's BMW R50/5 (500cc) across Canada. Euro standards and UJM's were all we used to have decades ago, and rode them everywhere.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #2561
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
A lot of people have made ride reports about the FZ9, so I will keep mine very short. I demo rode one today. I personally wouldn't buy one after riding it. The suspension is way too soft. The seating position is not good for a rider of 6'3", made worse by the fact the seat slopes forward, pushing you into the tank.

The engine has good power, but whatever mode you put it in, the engine feel is that it is overly lean. I'm sure with suspension mods and a good aftermarket seat the bike would be much nicer.

I rode the FZ7 and enjoyed it much more than the FZ9.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #2562
PishPosh
n000000b

This is not possible... you must be the first test ride reviewer that I've seen that straight out didn't like it.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #2563
michael_l
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
This is not possible... you must be the first test ride reviewer that I've seen that straight out didn't like it.
Although I agree with you, he's not brought up anything cosmic. Everyone says the suspension needs to be worked on, and I think I've yet to find a reasonable seat on any sport bike. Nothing new here, still an awesome bike, I want one.
michael_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:05 AM   #2564
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
W/the -09, you're buying the potential. All the key elements are there for a very reasonable price: engine, chassis, short wheelbase, light weight, ease of ownership, etc. Then you do whatever you want to w/the bike. If you have to do nothing to be satisfied, even better. Afterwards, it's a custom set-up just for you, on the (relatively) cheap.

cls screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 06:00 AM
cls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #2565
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
I am guessing that the FZ-09 was targeted for riders that want a sporty upright seating, light weight, comfortable, smooth and powerful bike that can do most of anything you want to do. The suspension is fine for most frisky rides . . . And can be modified as needed for more aggressive riding styles.

Every rider will have their own opinion etc. Younger aggressive riders will want a stiffer suspension for the race track . . . . Even if they only do an occasional track day . . . which is fine.

Bottom line . . . It is impossible to make everyone happy. They keep the price low to allow upgrades as needed (or, wanted).

The fuel capacity is low. However, it will allow as many miles as a KTM 950/990 Super Moto. I ride a brisk pace and fill up at 130 miles with a 25 to 30 mile reserve.

There are many riders like myself (over 60) that really appreciate what this bike has to offer

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote