In a nutshell. Boo indeed, MrBreeze.

eh, wht do I know? I ride a V-Strom.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #392
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
I don't know how much Yamaha spent on their promo work - but Kraven just made it look like a waste of money.

Well done Sir.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #393
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
SGRider,

What bags are those on your FZ1? They fit the lines of the bike nicely.
Bags connection, I know that you can get them through twisted throttle.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #394
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto View Post

Nothing new here Yamaha....................................

I don't think Triumph will be worried.
Are you kidding?

Weights about the same as a Street Triple but has money power, torque, & better ergos without the sewing machine "whine".
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #395
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,312
While daydreaming I was thinking about trying the new Duc Hyperstrada.

This new Yamaha has been compared to the Triumph ST and Duc Monster but seems to have more of an upright riding position like the Hyper and the Yamaha has more HP and weighs about 30 lbs less than the Duc. Of course the Hyper comes with bags and windscreen but it also lists for $13,250.

Am I totally off base comparing the MT-09 to the Hyperstrada?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #396
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
While daydreaming I was thinking about trying the new Duc Hyperstrada.

This new Yamaha has been compared to the Triumph ST and Duc Monster but seems to have more of an upright riding position like the Hyper and the Yamaha has more HP and weighs about 30 lbs less than the Duc. Of course the Hyper comes with bags and windscreen but it also lists for $13,250.

I was doing the same thing. You also get a lot more electronics, whether you think that's good or bad.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #397
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
I don't think so, as I was reading about the new Hypermotard last night and the specs are amazingly close? The Hyper has 110HP, 66ft/lbs, and weighs 437 curb, but costs $12k?!? I think I would take the FZ-09 for $4k less and I'll bet it has a little more weight on the front wheel than the Duc! Major issue with 90 degree twins.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #398
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I don't think so, as I was reading about the new Hypermotard last night and the specs are amazingly close? The Hyper has 110HP, 66ft/lbs, and weighs 437 curb, but costs $12k?!? I think I would take the FZ-09 for $4k less and I'll bet it has a little more weight on the front wheel than the Duc! Major issue with 90 degree twins.
I think the Hyperstrada weighs in at 450, probably the difference in bags and windshield over the Hypermotard.

I had a Tiger 1050 and loved the triple in that bike but the bike itself was too big for what I wanted and I was looking at the Duc for an upright position with similar performance specs. Bet the Yamaha Triple will be a blast with the same Hp as the bigger and heavier Tiger and much less cost and better dealer support/locations than Ducati.

I'm going to seriously shop this bike when it makes it to dealer floors and may just have to sell the XR1200.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #399
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
The more I look at this bike the more it is growing on me. Everyone is comparing it to the Triumph Street Triple, but I think it also compares very favorably against the Ducati Streetfighter as well. It looks less overly aggressive then the streetfighter, and the front/headlight are miles better then the Street Triple. It's actually a good design effort from Yamaha with several unique touches such as the exhaust.

I may just have to demo one. It's too cheap not to consider it.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #400
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
As for mpg's, wrist control and riding style play big for most bikes. I usually do well better than what a bike is rated when that's what I'm after (In that respect, I have/had an interest in the NC700X. It's just not quite what I'm after for one of a few bikes, as I whittle down the fleet. I also like to be able to ride hard and well on the same bike. And I want power everywhere, along w/good economy. Not too much to ask, eh?).

I also had a Tiger 1050 and it was a great bike. Agreed, though, it was a little too top-heavy and wide between the knees to have the feel I'm after.

I think the Yam Trip will fare very well against a myriad of competition. It's getting closer to the "balance" I've been looking for. The Hyper's and MS do the same, but I just don't want to deal w/Ducati. I like easy, refined, and reliable (Read that as "Japanese," if you must.). To coin a media phrase from several years ago, I hope Yam will soon come out w/an Adventure Sport bike from this format. Done right, almost perfect, in my eyes. I've had most of them, now I'm looking for the few to keep long-term. This has the most promise for the everyday, run-around, fun bike, thus far. Fingers crossed.

Love these things!
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #401
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
tdm concept

Anyone who doesn't agree Yamaha is targeting Triumph with this platform is delusional. This is aimed squarely at the T800 roadie purchaser, and for good reason. The T800 is considered a strong success.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #402
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Anyone who doesn't agree Yamaha is targeting Triumph with this platform is delusional. This is aimed squarely at the T800 roadie purchaser, and for good reason. The T800 is considered a strong success.
I agree in part. Triumph has done a terrific job with their triple variants. Where I disagree is the idea that the major motorcycle companies will invest the time and resources required to design, market, inventory and manufacture all the components that go into distributing/selling/supporting a motorcycle worldwide, simply because they want to be like their competitor(s). I suspect this bike and any subsequent variants have been years in the making, with only minor regard for Triumph's success.

Thx...nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #403
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,025
Quote:
I hadn't thought about Triumph at all - I thought about the Wee-Strom. Rougly the same price. Maybe it's just because I just bought a 2012 DL650 Adventure. If I had known this bike was coming, I might have waited.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #404
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
That's an artist's rendition, not an actual bike.

Not that I wouldn't like to see one like that.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #405
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
Everyone is comparing it to the Triumph Street Triple, but I think it also compares very favorably against the Ducati Streetfighter as well.
The Streetfighter has an 848 motor with 20HP and 4ft/lbs more than the FZ or the Hyper. It is also 2lbs heavier than the Hyper, 25lbs more than the FZ. And it is more than $5k more than the FZ. I'd rather have the FZ and a nice used dirt bike!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote