Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #811
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Yeah, you need twin disks in the front with radial monoblock calipers and a twin piston disk in the rear, those 26hp are surely too much for that brake setup.
Bugger that it wouldn't look authentic. You still need the drum on the back..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #812
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer: 111
Probably better than the rear brake on my Ducati.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #813
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Ok. THAT is cool. And I'm good with the sacrifices that come with most retro looks.
But that rear drum brake?

Hmmmm. That's a bit too retro. Lol

Love the kick start though. But see? Even though it's kick start, they don't give you points and condensers. Or even a carb.

Nope, no drum brake for me.
I'd like a disc brake too, but that won't stop me. The rear brake is more of an assist anyway.

If you pass up the SR because of a drum I'm revoking your man card. Please put your skirt on and report to the kitchen.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #814
Ott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
Sat on a red one yesterday at the Indy MotoGP. Light bike. Good ergos and I'm 6'5" and 39 inch inseam. Dash is really, really tiny.
I sat on that bike too. The red looked fantastic, but I really liked the purple one I saw in the web. Shame it won t be imported. I have stubby legs (30" inssam) and I was flat footed. There wasn't a fly screen, but it was painfully obvious that one will be available. Looked half finished without one. This thing better get class leading fuel milage since it has a pitifully small tank. If it doesn't get 50+ mpg , it will be a problem. Dying to hear it run.
Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #815
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Cool. As long as there is a loud buzzer somewhere that tells you if something is wrong I donlt care about thje dash so much.
Going to take a hard look to see rpm's and speed. I mean it's REALLY, REALLY tiny, but I get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteraan View Post
I sat on the same one. The red looks REALLY good. The black with blurple wheels, not so much. I spoke with one of the Yamaha guys, and asked him if they were going to do other things with the engine (as if I didn't know). He said yes, that Yamaha had committed to that, then uncharacteristically, he asked what I would like to see. I told him a lightweight sport tourer would be fantastic, and he found that to be "an excellent idea". We also talked about the FZ-09's colors, and he said there was one more coming out, but Yamaha hadn't disclosed it yet. Lastly, he said we should expect to see them in showrooms October/November. Obviously, warmer climes will get them first.

All in all, a good informative chat with a nice fellow.
Good to know and I really like the red color scheme also. What about Rossi's bike, would take one of those?
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #816
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Didn't say a drum brake wouldn't stop the bike. I'm an old man. Grew up with drum brakes. So don't misunderstand.

But still would like the bike, retro and all, with the rear brake treated just like the front.
I would gladly pay the extra $50
What for? I hate cable operated brakes, cables sometimes just break with no prior warning and I refuse to ride any bike with a front drum brake, but this is a rod operated rear brake, in the front there is a perfectly capable twin piston caliper with a disk that I'd even dare to say is oversized for the bike. Brake drums are stupid easy to check for wear, just look at the wear indicator, and you can adjust them without the need for tools. Even if you try you're going to have a hard time getting that rear brake to fade, it is just not going to happen if you don't make your mission to abuse the rear brake. Only "downside" is that it is cheaper and easier to replace a disk than the complete wheel hub that will involve relacing the wheel, but I really, really doubt you're going to ride that 400cc thumper enough for that to matter.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #817
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott View Post
I sat on that bike too. The red looked fantastic, but I really liked the purple one I saw in the web. Shame it won t be imported. I have stubby legs (30" inssam) and I was flat footed. There wasn't a fly screen, but it was painfully obvious that one will be available. Looked half finished without one. This thing better get class leading fuel milage since it has a pitifully small tank. If it doesn't get 50+ mpg , it will be a problem. Dying to hear it run.
Street Triple isn't known for great mpg: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/tri...treet%20triple

Heck, I average 40 on my C14. I like the red one also.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #818
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
My local dealer has a TDM on the floor - reduced to £6500, and a XTZ660 - reduced to £7000, with £700 worth of extras.

I think a new range of bikes with an entertaining motor and a good entry price point is just what they need. It's been a tough old time for Yamaha UK dealers - not helped by Yamaha UK's pricing policy.
Absolutely. I remember the first batch of XTZ660s retailing at about £4200, and it wasn't that long ago.

Now Yamaha is a very hard sell.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #819
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmans View Post
the point of a flyscreen is to redirect air flow, which does NOT necessarily mean it has to be high. I learned this with my KLR, that little screen was just enough to mess up the airflow, whereas the same bike 97, without the air screen had clean airflow.
I'm not surprised these little fly screens are becoming popular, (look at the new goldwing) I'm just surprised it took engineers so long to start using them.
Not high, but above the gauges. Both of the bikes you mention have screens well above the gauges, the KLRs headlight surround extends above the gauges even without a screen..

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #820
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Put a deposit down on a red today. Dealer not sure when he'll get his shipment in, or what options / accessories will be offered from the outset, said Yamaha is keeping that information on the down-low.

Draechon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #821
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Street Triple isn't known for great mpg: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/tri...treet%20triple

Think they fixed that. I routinely get 48-50 mpg on my '13. Nearly the same as my SV650. No more timing cut in the first three gears and better injectors I think. I got mid 40's even on the Dragon this summer, where I was running 2nd and 3rd gear most of the time.

Past Rides: '82 GL500, '00 YZ426, '01 DRZ400S, '04 ST4S
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #822
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post

well the outgoing (i think) FZ8 claims a 39mpg rating. leaves plenty of room for improvement, or perhaps just a smidgen. any less would not be a good thing imo

but might this bike get about the same? i would think it could be more efficient, new tech and all
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #823
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
youtube running bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2B4bNds5ts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=925hrURIgYs

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #824
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
you know the blue wheels look somewhat more attractive in those vids. still would prefer 'em not, though. which goes to show how bad i think they are
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #825
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
Put a deposit down on a red today. Dealer not sure when he'll get his shipment in, or what options / accessories will be offered from the outset, said Yamaha is keeping that information on the down-low.
Cool deal Kieth!

I was thinking of selling the XR and getting one myself but still undecided, the XR starts to run out of steam around 80 which is sort of a built in govenor. I think the Yahama might get me in more trouble.