Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #1066
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunry View Post
That bike has been ridden with great reviews, the engine has character and we know where it was built.
Assembled in Italy, from parts from Thailand, Korea, Japan and and a few from Italy?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 02:47 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #1067
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
It sounds like that product at that price is a winner. I can fix what I don't like to better than "off the shelf" for not much cash. If it's not what you like or if you have certain preferences/tendencies/requirements, so be it. Lots of bikes out there. This one looks like it'll be one of mine. Impressive stuff at that price, w/that convenience and that performance. Unless I hear something unexpected, I'm in. To the point of starting current bike sales. Ah, the thrill of the chase.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #1068
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,090
High praise from BIKE: 'Japan's best bike since the Fireblade'
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #1069
mattness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I saw the spec sheet.... leaned back in my chair and said out loud... "oh ... my... gawd..." i quickly put my glasses back on and scrolled and saw the price... 7,999 USD... WHAT THE PHUCK! you cant get a honda shadow for that!

Thank you yamaha for making bikes for us to ride, not just trinkets to look at. harley davidson cough.
mattness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #1070
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,132
First ride up at Cycle News:

http://www.cyclenews.com/366/22362/R...aha-FZ-09.aspx
Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #1071
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,982
Supposed to be at my local dealer in about 10 days. Staged in Seattle I was told.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #1072
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 664
So what colors are coming to the US? I thought it was just:
1) Red/black
2) Black/purple

Now I read that the orange one may be coming too. I'm dying to find a KTM 990 supermoto, but if I can't I may run down to the Yamaha dealership and buy one of these NEW for the same money. Granted the KTM has better shocks, but I can always upgrade if I need to...
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #1073
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,015
The 990 SMT has around the same hp, a little more torque, but weighs 434lbs w/o gas. The biggest difference is that you can buy almost two FZ's for the price of $14K,for the SMT. I had a 690 Duke, and it was fantastic, but for the $6K savings, you could replace the suspension and brakes on the FZ and still have a lighter bike, and money left for the back pocket. Just a thought... tomp
Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #1074
feline
Purrrrrrrrrrs!

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
So what colors are coming to the US? I thought it was just:
1) Red/black
2) Black/purple

Now I read that the orange one may be coming too.
Yamaha has the orange on their web site...........
Old 09-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #1075
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,594
It occurred to me this morning, on my ride in to work, that the FZ09 and the Hypermotard are very similar. I love the ergos of the Hyper but hate the price. The appeal of the FZ09 grows more, every day.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #1076
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
I'm glad winter is coming so I can cool my jets a bit, and I'm hoping Yamaha releases some more models with this engine, sooner rather than later. Everything I've read so far talks about how great the motor is, but in it's current guise it would only serve to smoke my (now) relatively clean driving record. Something with a 1/4 fairing and a bigger tank, and my dl650 will be on it's way down the road.

I am already mildly in lust with the FZ-09, but a 50 degree commute this morning made me appreciate the dl just a little bit more...
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #1077
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,428
Sorry to stoke the fire - but i've just spent a couple of hours on one.

Bloody impressive roadster. The engine is an absolute gem. Bags of character, torque and plenty of go. Fit and finish is good. Fasteners all look fairly decent. Clock is well laid out.

Very light and nimble without being a tiny bike. I'm 5ft 10 and 225lbs, my last few bikes have been big machines (XT1200, Multi 12 and now a Triumph Trophy) but i didn't feel cramped. The seat pitched me forward onto the tank, which felt strange, but i soon got used to it. Switch the ignition on and the dash "rolls over" while booting up. You get a stack style rev counter at the top, speedo, time, mode, gear indicator, tank fill status and an "eco" indicator which works when you hold a steady throttle. Some chance..

The motor fires up with a hearty rasp. Give it some throttle and the rev counter spins up eagerly. Feels like it's ready for some fun.

First gear clonks into place, clutch (cable) is light and easy to use. Trickle across the dealer car park, into traffic and away we go.

The bike has 3 modes. Standard, "A" mode and "B" mode. "A" mode should be called Abrupt. FI is twitchy in "A" mode. Small throttle openings while negotiating traffic give a jerky ride. I opted for Standard for most of the ride.
Easier to use.

Getting used to something so light took a while but has now spoiled me. The Trophy, which does handle well considering it's size, now feels like a leviathan. The MT does have fairly choppy ride quality - but that is fixable. The brakes seemed great. They work - more than i could say about the Multi - and have good feedback.

One other thing - i know it was a warm day with hardly any wind - but i had no buffeting or wind noise. My Shoei GT Air is a good helmet - but any forward motion felt easy and comfy. Impressive.

It's made me wonder if i do really need a big heavy bike with all manner of bells and whistles, or would i be better served by something as simple and fun as the MT.

All in all. A cracking bike. Fun, fast and cheap.

Nice one Yamaha. Roll on the next bikes to get this motor.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #1078
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I'm seriously considering one of these in purple, kitted out as a tourmuter.

Was going to buy another 1st-gen Tuono, but by the time I get done farkling up a clean example, it's not going to be that much less expensive than a brand new MT-09. Well, at least until the farkling starts on the Yamaha. Besides, it's about time I bought another Japanese bike, it's been over a decade.

Also, Motorcycle.com's first ride is up. Troy really likes it.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...09-review.html
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #1079
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Sorry to stoke the fire - but i've just spent a couple of hours on one.

Thanks for sharing that. Lucky guy. Maybe the next time someone sees one in person they can take a look at the VIN tag to see where this bike is made. Honda and Kawasaki both make super reliable bikes in Thailand (or Taiwan) so for me it's not a matter of quality just curiosity.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #1080
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Thanks for sharing that. Lucky guy. Maybe the next time someone sees one in person they can take a look at the VIN tag to see where this bike is made. Honda and Kawasaki both make super reliable bikes in Thailand (or Taiwan) so for me it's not a matter of quality just curiosity.

I heard Italy..........
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote