Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #1081
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
I heard Italy..........
US price is too low and Euro/UK price is too high for it to be manufactured in Italy, methinks.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #1082
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
It's made me wonder if i do really need a big heavy bike with all manner of bells and whistles, or would i be better served by something as simple and fun as the MT.

my last three bikes - ST1300, FJR, Nomad - last June I switched to a DL650. What a revelation! My new motto is "get the smallest bike that will do the job". So much easier to ride. So much more fun!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #1083
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
US price is too low and Euro/UK price is too high for it to be manufactured in Italy, methinks.

He was joking.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #1084
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Actually, I'm not sure he was joking. Read somewhere parts are from Japan and Taiwan. Assembly is in Italy.
And Italy does not mean expensive. It's just that Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ducati........... Tend to stereotype that.

Givi is very reasonable. The new Dodge Dart is an Alfa Romeo?

Traveled across the country a couple of times. Other than the tourist spots, Rome for example, it was an incredibly inexpensive country to eat and lodge in.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #1085
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:

Bags of character,..
The motor fires up with a hearty rasp...
Are you looking for a job at MCN UK?

Quote:

All in all. A cracking bike. Fun, fast and cheap.

Nice one Yamaha. Roll on the next bikes to get this motor.
That's your dark side talking..

Thanks for the write up. Very interesting.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #1086
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Actually, I'm not sure he was joking. Read somewhere parts are from Japan and Taiwan. Assembly is in Italy.
And Italy does not mean expensive. It's just that Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ducati........... Tend to stereotype that.

Givi is very reasonable. The new Dodge Dart is an Alfa Romeo?

Traveled across the country a couple of times. Other than the tourist spots, Rome for example, it was an incredibly inexpensive country to eat and lodge in.
I currently live 60 miles from Italy. Labour costs, and the exchange rate between USD and Euro has an impact. That favours the Euro over the Yen right now, but not over the Baht.

And get out of the capitals/touristy areas, and people are always surprised at how cheap meals or lodging is in just about ANY country. :)
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #1087
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Moto Station Review (French):

http://www.moto-station.com/article1...atif-2014.html

And the money shot. Note that this is a French-market bike, so it's power-limited with a rev limiter. US-market bikes will rev higher (11k) and make more power. Numbers appear to be corrected to give approx. crank hp, since they look a little high for all the bikes.

Green is FZ-09/MT-09
Yellow is F800R
Blue is FZ-8
Red is Street Triple

For comparison, here's another torque-monster naked, the CB1000R:

Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #1088
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post

And the money shot. Note that this is a French-market bike, so it's power-limited with a rev limiter. US-market bikes will rev higher (11k) and make more power. Numbers appear to be corrected to give approx. crank hp, since they look a little high for all the bikes.

Green is FZ-09/MT-09
Yellow is F800R
Blue is FZ-8
Red is Street Triple

For comparison, here's another torque-monster naked, the CB1000R:

That is one straight torque line.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #1089
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
That is one straight torque line.
From the vid on that site, the way the rider sits, it looks more like a dual sport compared to the other bikes. Not that I'm complaining. The street triple I tested had that "all over" power at any rpm. Lug it down, and without downshifting, it pulled right back. Of course not pinning it, just roll it on. I'm thinking anybody on the fence about buying a ST, is going to go with the FZ-09.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #1090
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
From the vid on that site, the way the rider sits, it looks more like a dual sport compared to the other bikes. Not that I'm complaining. The street triple I tested had that "all over" power at any rpm. Lug it down, and without downshifting, it pulled right back. Of course not pinning it, just roll it on. I'm thinking anybody on the fence about buying a ST, is going to go with the FZ-09.
Or wait for TDM triple, or XTZ850..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #1091
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Yeah, my big problem with the Streety was while it had good torque for a 675, and a nice flat curve, it still didn't have ENOUGH torque to suit me, or at the very least, not as much torque as I was used to coming from a 955cc Triumph triple and 1000cc Rotax twin.

That and it was a bit smaller aesthetically than I felt "proper" on. The MT-09 seems better proportioned.

Former co-worker of mine in Vancouver took delivery of a red FZ-09 today, #26, and he's pretty chuffed about it.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #1092
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Fz-09

I have a "13 street triple R. I like it quite a lot ...but, I feel I'm on the cusp of being too big for it. I really like the triple platform...but would like to have a bit more torque than the 675 offers. I had a 1050 Triple and that spoiled me...the 675 is balanced and all & loves to rev...but just does not have the low end of the bigger motor. The Yamaha will do two things for me...it will fit me better..( I am 6'1" & 190 )...and give me a bit more Torque down low. I also have a Husquvarna TR 650 Strada...I might just get away with replacing both bikes with the Yamaha.

I know the suspension & brakes should be equal to if not better than the TR...
But the Triple R has that covered pretty good. Reckon there will be aftermarket suspension bits for the Yamaha that'll be plug and play? No abs is kinda a turn off....but I could get over that.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #1093
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I have a "13 street triple R. I like it quite a lot ...but, I feel I'm on the cusp of being too big for it. I really like the triple platform...but would like to have a bit more torque than the 675 offers. I had a 1050 Triple and that spoiled me...the 675 is balanced and all & loves to rev...but just does not have the low end of the bigger motor. The Yamaha will do two things for me...it will fit me better..( I am 6'1" & 190 )...and give me a bit more Torque down low. I also have a Husquvarna TR 650 Strada...I might just get away with replacing both bikes with the Yamaha.

I know the suspension & brakes should be equal to if not better than the TR...
But the Triple R has that covered pretty good. Reckon there will be aftermarket suspension bits for the Yamaha that'll be plug and play? No abs is kinda a turn off....but I could get over that.
If you take the Husky off road, you will miss it, not being able to do so with the FZ. Keep it and add the FZ, the best of both worlds. tp dd50
Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #1094
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post

Green is FZ-09/MT-09
Yellow is F800R
Blue is FZ-8
Red is Street Triple
Looks like it has the Triple beat on Ergonomie, Performances and Prix.

So if Triumph drop the prix then it would be second.

It's got chugga and top end. Should work as well as the Tigers then.
Hope they change the chassis geometry and give it 23Litres if they do an ADV version.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 06:28 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #1095
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,058
Crazy... With 109 RW HP, and 414 lbs, the power to weight ratio is better than my old ZZR1200. That bike was a scary screamer. I can only imagine what the FZ will be like up to 100 mph, though it will probably break that speed in 3rd. Much above that the wind blast just can't be comfortable. Gonna be a really fun bike to own and ride... tomp dd50