Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #1141
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Them's fightin' words mate. :)

Yea, that's the one.......the blurple wheels bring it all together too. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I do apologize though, I don't "sugar coat" anything and forget that offends people. You went easy on me, one time I mention that I thought the gear driven camshafts on the VFR made it sound like a sewing machine. Man, let me tell you, I'm glad those VFR guys didn't know where I lived.....
Actually, the solid colored Tuono don't look as bad as this:

Aprilia added another shade of gold on the wheels, the front is black, the rear is white, and the seat is red.
If anything my comments were directed at Aprilia Corp. They engineer an AWESOME motorcycle then turn it over to the color blind, far sighted, styling department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
So, I bought a 2007 Honda 919. I went for a ride on the 919 and was instantly smiling ear to ear. I even power wheelie'd it in front of the dealership. Fun bike, great power curve and in a weird way, similar to the FZ-09. Cept for the fact that I only paid $4800 for it. And, I like to be different. The 919 never really caught on here in the states, and after riding it, I don't understand why. Freaking awesome bike. Well, I will be ordering a new seat though.
I'm on my 3rd 919. The bike just works. Light, torquey, comfortable, with a 200+ mile range. I don't even mind the seat.

Sold my 1st two 919's because I thought there was a better bike for me out there, it went a little like this. Sell the 919, buy XYZ bike, sell XYZ bike, buy another 919.

I still have a deposit down on the FZ09, it is lighter and probably will be more fun, but honestly I don't think that will be worth the extra $4K to me.
PAULIBIKER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #1142
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Nice as the 919 is, I could never own one over here. Every third bike is a Hornet, it seems. :)
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #1143
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Nice as the 919 is, I could never own one over here. Every third bike is a Hornet, it seems. :)
Not here, they never really sold well. There's a whole thread over on the FZ1 board about how the 919 is a "girls" bike..... maybe that had something to do with it.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #1144
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcsp View Post
Anyone that has bought or serious about getting a FZ09 care to comment on insurance cost for it?

Seen on a FZ09-specific site that people are seeing a higher than anticipated insurance cost.
Just checked for me, and I agree, WTF?! I will call Progressive later, and if the insurance class puts it so expensive, this may be a deal-breaker for me on getting one. I did a quote to replace on my Bandits, and got this craziness:

Compare this to a Street Triple, $214 less per year:

Draechon screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 12:18 PM
Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #1145
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
Just checked for me, and I agree, WTF?! I will call Progressive later, and if the insurance class puts it so expensive, this may be a deal-breaker for me on getting one. I did a quote to replace on my Bandits, and got this craziness:

That's too bad, Progressive usually has the lowest rates on bikes that I have found.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #1146
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,049
""stupid statement""

Anyone who has lived six plus decades, like I, understands that to have been a realistic statement, for most of those decades. With today's computer designs and manufacturing, not as relevant.

Used to be, first year cars and bikes were always a crap shoot, where the manufacturers used the public to road and reliability test their products.. Today's computers help find and rectify potential problems that the public used to find.

I hope and believe that Yamaha has the FZ-09 pretty well dialed in, if it will be the first of several models based on it...
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #1147
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Damn that insurance is just way to high. Crazy high. Maybe because it is so new?

Stupid statement? What, you guys work for Yamaha? They all have issues, all bikes. And issues in a 1st gen bike are common on all bikes. You would be lying to say otherwise.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #1148
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 436
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
"stupid statement"...Anyone who has lived six plus decades, like I, understands that to have been a realistic statement...
Congratulations on all your birthdays. Realistic? The statement was completely speculative made after the guy bought a 7 year old bike that's heavier and less powerful.

I've had 9 first year models from Yamaha and had two recalls combined while only once experiencing the symptom that prompted the recall.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #1149
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Congratulations on all your birthdays. Realistic? The statement was completely speculative made after the guy bought a 7 year old bike that's heavier and less powerful.

I've had 9 first year models from Yamaha and had two recalls combined while only once experiencing the symptom that prompted the recall.
If you are going to quote me, how about using the complete quote. I said what happened in the past wasn't really relevant today as far as reliability goes and that Yamaha probably has the 09 dialed in. Glad you have had no problems from your purchases, not all are so lucky. Thanks for the birthday wishes...tp dd50
Old 09-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #1150
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:

Try Dairyland - I saved almost half by switching to them from Progressive (who progressively raised my premiums despite zero claims ever).
https://www.dairylandinsurance.com/motorcycle-insurance
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #1151
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,353
Hey Keith

Was hoping you were going to buy this bike.

Just curious, how's your driving record?

I'm paying under $800 a year from Progressive for my '12 Road Glide Custom, '09 HD XR1200, and '09 DR650. Neither HD has a strong motor like the MT/FZ but replacement cost of either one of the HDs is more than MT/FZ. Singling them out on the bundled policy, the Road Glide is $443/year, XR1200 is $270/year and the DR is $111/year and these are all with full coverage although I jacked up the deductible to $1000 on each, that may be the difference.

Do the insurance companies use engine size/hp to jack up the rates that much?

I was thinking about getting rid of the XR and buying the MT/FZ but think I'll keep the XR.

Quote:

blk-betty screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 07:42 PM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #1152
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Progressive agent told me the FZ is classed in the same insurance group as the mid-size race replicas (R6, Zx6r, etc.). Driving record isn't spotless, but in the last 3 years (normal range insurance companies care about) , I only have had one ticket (speeding less than 10 over) and one not-at-fault wreck when I T-boned a car last year. I have had my motorcycle insurance through them for the last 6 years.

He could not give specifics on why the rate was what it was, but he did mention it being a brand new model, "high" horsepower, and not having traction control or ABS. Nearly $1200 for a year's insurance for one bike seems crazy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Hey Keith

Was hoping you were going to buy this bike.

Just curious, how's your driving record?

I'm paying under $800 a year from Progressive for my '12 Road Glide Custom, '09 HD XR1200, and '09 DR650. Neither HD has a strong motor like the MT/FZ but replacement cost of either one of the HDs is more than MT/FZ.

Do the insurance companies use engine size/hp to jack up the rates that much?

Draechon screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 07:52 PM
Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #1153
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
I went and sat on one at the dealer yesterday. The dealer and I had an agreement that I would be the first one they called when it was ready to drop on the showroom floor. I went in fully expecting to buy it. Light weight, nice power, good looks in pics. But in person, those wheels are ucking fugly. Seriously, it was the wheels that turned me off, and also the fact that it is a new model and sure to be full of mistakes and future recalls. I could envision all my buddies asking if I went to Walmart and bought some redneck blue spray paint. It felt good sitting on it, light as a feather. It felt more expensive than $8,000. But something just stopped me from wanting to ride it home.

So, I bought a 2007 Honda 919. I went for a ride on the 919 and was instantly smiling ear to ear. I even power wheelie'd it in front of the dealership. Fun bike, great power curve and in a weird way, similar to the FZ-09. Cept for the fact that I only paid $4800 for it. And, I like to be different. The 919 never really caught on here in the states, and after riding it, I don't understand why. Freaking awesome bike. Well, I will be ordering a new seat though.

I still have an eye on the FZ-09, but I may wait a couple of years and see how the bike develops. I also want to see what Triumph's response will be. Hell, what everyones response will be. A 414 lb bike with that much power for $8,000 is gonna sell like crazy and cause everyone else to build a new bike to match or beat it. This FZ-09 may end up being the greatest thing to happen for us since the 80's Honda interceptor or the first Ninja. Who knows what great low priced bikes will be created as a result of the FZ-09?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I really thought I was going to buy that FZ-09, but to me, those wheels are horrendous. And I wanna see what happens as a result of this bike before writing a check for $8,400.

Yep, went to buy an FZ-09 that I had been dreaming about all summer and rode off on a 919. What a day.
How tall are you? I have my 919 for sale in the flea market and am curious how you thought it compared in seating position to the Yamaha.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #1154
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Blk-betty, I traded off my XR1200 for a KTM Duke, and really regretted it. They are unique and getting hard to find. May want to hang on to it if possible. Mine was primo, and for me, probably as much fun to ride as the FZ will be... tomp dd50
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #1155
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
He could not give specifics on why the rate was what it was, but he did mention it being a brand new model, "high" horsepower, and not having traction control or ABS. Nearly $1200 for a year's insurance for one bike seems crazy to me.
No doubt crazy and sounds like your driving record at least in the last few years is not bad. I'm sure the fact that I'm a little older and own a house has some bearing. I remeber when I got divorced and nothing else changed my rates increased simply because married people are considered "less risk".

Just for kicks I'm going to get a quote from Progressive this evening.