Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #1261
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 217
Thank goodness not fly-by-wire up to the throttle.Leaves Jo-blo adj. I noticed rad fan came on @ 221 then temp rose 2 degrees then started dropping @ 4 degree increments. Nice!
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #1262
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE View Post
Wow good tip thanks there does seem to be freeplay so tightening it to be fully closed by the spring may help. Do I just adjust the handle bar adjusters or do I need to find the other end where it must hook into the return spring and black box for the ride by wire, not sure where that is buried.
Any new owner able to check their owner's manual and see if the adjustment procedure is there? No copies of the FZ or MT -09 could I find on the interweb information highway....
Old 10-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #1263
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Manual does not cover valve adjust. I thought I read somewhere it's nut adjusted and not shims.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #1264
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

I heard it was nut adjusted also. Anything about throttle adjustment in there? Went to my dealer, Mancuso SW, earlier today, and still no FZ-09's.

They are also a Triumph dealer and didn't have any Street Triples on the floor, either.

Only Triumph and Yamaha models not available to peruse and compare... Kinda strange, for a dealer that large. Possibly waiting for the 14 ST to arrive. tp
Old 10-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #1265
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Wow good tip thanks there does seem to be freeplay so tightening it to be fully closed by the spring may help. Do I just adjust the handle bar adjusters or do I need to find the other end where it must hook into the return spring and black box for the ride by wire, not sure where that is buried.
Only need to adjust it at the handlebar, if it's like my S10; and it should be as it too is ride-by-wire with cable at the throttle.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #1266
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
No adjusters really here on the cables

]
On my S10, the adjusters are about 2-1/2 inches downstream of what you're showing in this photo. Look down the line a ways.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 10-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #1267
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Manual does not cover valve adjust. I thought I read somewhere it's nut adjusted and not shims.
It appears to be shim under bucket like most modern Yamaha's.

Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #1268
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post

I'd definitely check the throttle play on yours, FOXedupONE. Let us know what you find and/or if it makes any difference.
Ride By Wire mean anything to you? The throttle tube is essentially a rheostat connected to the ECU via a wire, there ain't no cable. :)

Also, here's the EU MT-09 accessories site, which has better pictures of the gear actually mounted on the bike, for example:

Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #1269
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
On my S10, the adjusters are about 2-1/2 inches downstream of what you're showing in this photo. Look down the line a ways.
There it is, thanks! It was hiding under sheathing cover. Only see one cable adjuster so far maybe the other does not need one or it's buried further up the cable behind the headlight. Oh the throttle is definitely cable operated beyond the twist grip with a conventional 2 cable throttle system. What the cable operated is different from acting directly on plates but the cables and spring are what makes it mechanically feel the same as conventional. It would be hard to recreate the feel of a regular throttle with just an electrical wire coming from the twist grip to send a signal I'd imagine so there most definitely are cables regardless of ride by wire the wire does not start at the twist grip but at the potentiometer.

FOXedupONE screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 04:50 PM
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #1270
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
There it is, thanks! It was hiding under sheathing cover. Only see one cable adjuster so far maybe the other does not need one or it's buried further up the cable behind the headlight. Oh the throttle is definitely cable operated beyond the twist grip with a conventional 2 cable throttle system. What the cable operated is different from acting directly on plates but the cables and spring are what makes it mechanically feel the same as conventional. It would be hard to recreate the feel of a regular throttle with just an electrical wire coming from the twist grip to send a signal I'd imagine so there most definitely are cables regardless of ride by wire the wire does not start at the twist grip but at the potentiometer.
The theory with this is that it allows a more robust system and cheaper (for the dealer) to replace bit's in the case of an accident. Whether it is cheaper for the customer is another matter.

The potentiometer is hidden out of the way from rain, possible drops and general debris (acidic bug juice) and doesn't get impacted in a fall.

That's the theory. The Japanese manufacturers, to date, have been pretty serious about this reliability thing. They will take small steps from a known reliable system to an unknown as the data comes in.

The other reason just might be that it feels familiar AND it allows the use of pre existing throttle bar end parts that can be used in carb, simple EFI and YCCT set ups.

Once the data is in on the Pot on the bar and most systems have moved to YCCT I would say that it will probably change But the average consumer will not let the Japanese do unreliable bikes. It is just the way it is.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 05:33 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #1271
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Ride By Wire mean anything to you? The throttle tube is essentially a rheostat connected to the ECU via a wire, there ain't no cable. :)
There IS a cable upstream from the throttle bodies, the ride-by-wire mechanism begins just before the F.I. throttle bodies as I understand it, so a mix of the two. That is how my Super Tenere is set up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and try not to be as snide as Croak while doing so. Also see previous post showing the cable adjuster -- just as it is on my S10...
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #1272
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That's correct, FOXed, you only need adjust the one (input?) as I believe the return cable is not adjustable. Once you tighten it up, you will need only be conscious of rolling off the throttle a tiny bit more when shifting, but it becomes second nature quickly.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 10-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #1273
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Test ride!

I had a brief test ride on the one and only '09 the dealer had. Man, what a rocket! Despite having read the rave reviews in the MC press, I was gobsmacked by the power of the engine. It's got huge ponies everywhere, and it's dead smooth, too. I found the gear change notchy, but with a bike with essentially zero miles....
The suspension and brakes are very impressive, especially at the bike's price point, but I admit I rode it on good pavement only. The only problem I can pin point is the saddle. It's not the bike's best feature, being hard, and slanting forward in such a way as to really punish my boys there in front. I'm well over 6 ft tall, so this may not be something shorter riders have issues with. Were I to buy the bike though, I'd have a custom saddle made immediately.
Yamaha has a real winner with this model. It's a great motorcycle and will require a lot of self-control of the rider if he/she is gonna keep outta the hands of the law. It's a hooligan bike of the first order!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #1274
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

I recently traded off my Duke 690, because it too was a hooligan bike, and I knew I was gonna lose my license it it didn't go. Now I'm considering a bike where the power to wt ratio is 50% better than what just left the garage. I think i'm in deeeeeep dodo, here....tp
Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #1275
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
I'm certainly not the technically minded guy but I know pulling the sub-throttle plates on the ZX14's, Connie 14's, and other bikes makes for a stronger and smoother power delivery. I don't want to have to start all that stuff w/this bike. However, if it would solve the problem...Exhaust, fly removal, PC and map. Somebody w/one play w/it.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote