Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
D7100

24MP on a DX sensor means you'll get that 1.5x crop factor (a 200 on it is like a 300 on FX) AND you'll be able to crop it big time since it has 24MP in that small space.

In comparison for the DX coverage area (since with a FF you'll likely be cropping more):
D7100 24MP
D600 10.5MP
D800 15.3MP
I just spotted a refurbished D800 for $2300 and a (8+) D3 for $2100 at B and H. I may call for more info to see how many clicks they have. The wife signed off on getting a better lens (FX) now, time to decide between the 70-200's or 80-200.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
I just spotted a refurbished D800 for $2300 and a (8+) D3 for $2100 at B and H. I may call for more info to see how many clicks they have. The wife signed off on getting a better lens (FX) now, time to decide between the 70-200's or 80-200.
For what you're doing I'd go for the D800, that D3 has the same sensor as my D700 and while it's great for low light if you're going to need to crop down the D800 will give you a lot more resolution to play with. You'll lose the FPS so it is a trade off, though one other thing about the D3 is it doesn't have a sensor cleaning system. With the D700 it can be annoying even running the sensor cleaning automatically at start up/shut down, I remember the lack of this being a common complaint of the old D3. The bigger opening sucks in a lot more dirt compared to the D50 than you'd expect.

Also I'd look into 3rd party lenses, I don't have the time to look it up right now but you should be able to find info on how the new Sigma & Tamron 70-200's compare. Price wise IIRC they are 1250-1500.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,015
Quote:
D7100

24MP on a DX sensor means you'll get that 1.5x crop factor (a 200 on it is like a 300 on FX) AND you'll be able to crop it big time since it has 24MP in that small space.

In comparison for the DX coverage area (since with a FF you'll likely be cropping more):
D7100 24MP
D600 10.5MP
D800 15.3MP

D7100, Nikon F2.8 24-70mm lens:

The D7100 is a way better camera than I am a photographer.

I love it.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,334
The 24-70 doesn't hurt

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,585
If I ever upgrade from my D90 it will be to the D7100. Or what ever the current model is when I do upgrade. They change so quickly. I've had no complaints with the D90 so far and I would agree it's more about the lens that the camera.
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
The 24-70 doesn't hurt
You got that right.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
If I ever upgrade from my D90 it will be to the D7100. Or what ever the current model is when I do upgrade. They change so quickly. I've had no complaints with the D90 so far and I would agree it's more about the lens that the camera.
That's what I just did. I have a D90 and upgraded to the D7100.

I'm going to keep the D90 as a backup. It's a kick-ass camera.

D90 with Tokina F2.8 11-16mm DX at 16mm.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,585
^^^ That's great! I went with the Sigma 10-20 and love it.
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #24
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Go for 3 and do not look back. Hide the receipt.
It will work magic on your 24 2.8.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #25
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stege View Post
Go for 3 and do not look back. Hide the receipt.
It will work magic on your 24 2.8.
There is a 70-200 2.8 for sale locally on CL. It is a version 1 which I understand is great for DX but sucks on an FX camera. I could afford $1K for the used lens and $3K for the D800. Would the version 2 70-200 2.8 be a must-have over the version 1 for FX?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #26
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 71,941
Nobody asked me, but I think your spending priorities are perhaps backwards. Spend all you can on the lens. Worry about the body later, if at all. This all started with less-than-sharp images. That problem was your lens, not your body. It feels like you're prioritizing the wrong thing. Just my opinion, that's all.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
There is a 70-200 2.8 for sale locally on CL. It is a version 1 which I understand is great for DX but sucks on an FX camera. I could afford $1K for the used lens and $3K for the D800. Would the version 2 70-200 2.8 be a must-have over the version 1 for FX?
I'd definitely go for the VR II but with your budget you might be better going 3rd party, Sigma and Tamron both have new 2.8's now. And if you plan on using this mostly in bright light and don't need the shallow depth of field of the 2.8 the Nikkor 70-200 F4 is supposed to be extremely sharp.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 06-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 71,941
Last post and I'll shut up

Buying off-brand and buying an F4 is moving in the wrong direction. Buy a Nikon lens, buy the best you can afford. Personally, I've had great luck buying used Canon L lenses, most of them from Fred Miranda's Buy-Sell forum.

A top quality lens will holds its value over time. A body will decline in value constantly until ultimately it's basically worthless.

And the lens will solve your sharpness problem. Bonus!

ps I've had buyer's fever many a time, so I know these posts of mine are basically useless! If your mind is enchanted by the lure of a sexy new body, that's what you'll spend your money on instead of a primo lens.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd definitely go for the VR II but with your budget you might be better going 3rd party, Sigma and Tamron both have new 2.8's now. And if you plan on using this mostly in bright light and don't need the shallow depth of field of the 2.8 the Nikkor 70-200 F4 is supposed to be extremely sharp.
I am going to get the Nikon 70-200 F2.8, just trying to figure out if/when I will go to the FX format. I am going to try it for a while with my "ancient" D50 before I decide to stick with DX or move to FX. Fixed telephotos are out of the budget by a long shot unless I get an older manual lens.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Last post and I'll shut up

Buying off-brand and buying an F4 is moving in the wrong direction. Buy a Nikon lens, buy the best you can afford. Personally, I've had great luck buying used Canon L lenses, most of them from Fred Miranda's Buy-Sell forum.

A top quality lens will holds its value over time. A body will decline in value constantly until ultimately it's basically worthless.

And the lens will solve your sharpness problem. Bonus!

ps I've had buyer's fever many a time, so I know these posts of mine are basically useless! If your mind is enchanted by the lure of a sexy new body, that's what you'll spend your money on instead of a primo lens.
It all depends on what you want, you're right about top Nikon/Canon glass holding its value but sometimes the "off brands" produce lenses that are better optically than Canon/Nikon. If you plan to own the lens for 10-20 years the value at the end of that time isn't a big deal (in my opinion) which is why I have a lot of Sigma/Tamron lenses and for ultra wide angle I'm looking at Tokina. Also if you go through a reputable seller (who also provides a warranty) the 3rd party lenses can be a real steal used.

For performance pretty much in any lens purchase you need to do a good chunk of research because even Nikon & Canon put out some so so lenses at the top of their line.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 01:57 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: