Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
vetsurginc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Eek Garmin Map Transfer?

I looked hard for the answer, but my situation may be unique.

I've a 2005 Garmin Zmuo 550 and have signed up for the lifetime city navigator. Last time I updated maps the site indicated my 2GB card notwithstanding the unit could not take the full map so I took the option to download to my computer (iMac). Basecamp uses the maps just fine. But a group of us is planning to go the the BMWRA rally at the Biltmore and have been planning routes.

I would like to shift the maps to my MacBook, but I'm clueless what files to transfer, or even if the idea would work at all. We are doing backroad routes so the global map included with BaseCamp lacks the detail needed. Garmin's response was "sorry you have to have your device plugged in to do any map downloads, TS". My Zumo is back for exchange as it went tits up due to the contact screen breakdown (sent it before I read the thread about DIY repair).

So, can I shift maps, and what files should I be transfering?

Thanks for the help!!
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
So, can I shift maps, and what files should I be transfering?

Thanks for the help!!
It's relatively easy on a Mac. If your OS is up to date you'll probably have to run the script to make _Library_ visible. Details HERE. All BaseCamp data should be in your User_Home_Library_Application Support_Garmin directory.

Copy the _Garmin_ directory contained in the above tree from your iMac to the MacBook. Instal BaseCamp. If your maps don't show up in BaseCamp you'll need to run MapManager (available from Garmin's download site). Highlight the map you want and click File_Instal. I can't remember if the last step (using MapManager) is always necessary, but sometimes it helps clean up map issues the first time. I regularly update the maps on my iMac and then transfer the map files, unlock codes etc. to two different MacBooks by syncing the _Garmin_Maps directory with AASync. HTH

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
It's relatively easy on a Mac. If your OS is up to date you'll probably have to run the script to make _Library_ visible. Details HERE. All BaseCamp data should be in your User_Home_Library_Application Support_Garmin directory.

Copy the _Garmin_ directory contained in the above tree from your iMac to the MacBook. Instal BaseCamp. If your maps don't show up in BaseCamp you'll need to run MapManager (available from Garmin's download site). Highlight the map you want and click File_Instal. I can't remember if the last step (using MapManager) is always necessary, but sometimes it helps clean up map issues the first time. I regularly update the maps on my iMac and then transfer the map files, unlock codes etc. to two different MacBooks by syncing the _Garmin_Maps directory with AASync. HTH
I didnt even have to do this much. I have my City Navigator 2013 loaded on both my Imac and Macbook air. I plugged my Garmin in and ran the mapmanager application (I actually started out on MyGarmin web page) I had the software reinstall the map update to my device, and Garmin gives you the option of installing it on your computer/Device/ or both. I have CNNA loaded on both Macs. I have done this with a Nuvi with preinstalled lifetime maps, and my Oregon with purchased CNNA. The maps are linked to a Device, not to the computer. Another thing that I find helpful is loading my routes onto the Garmin cloud storage. Then you can share them between your computers.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Steve W
Old Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg123 View Post
I didnt even have to do this much. I have my City Navigator 2013 loaded on both my Imac and Macbook air. I plugged my Garmin in and ran the mapmanager application (I actually started out on MyGarmin web page) I had the software reinstall the map update to my device, and Garmin gives you the option of installing it on your computer/Device/ or both.
This should work as well. My problem is outinthesticksslowinternet resulting in a 4 to 5 hour download, on a good day, for my lifetime updates, and I have 3. If I do that for each of the three computers, 4 if you count the windows version I run In fusion, well I had to find a quicker way.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
This should work as well. My problem is outinthesticksslowinternet resulting in a 4 to 5 hour download, on a good day, for my lifetime updates, and I have 3. If I do that for each of the three computers, 4 if you count the windows version I run In fusion, well I had to find a quicker way.
That is a whole different ball game. I'll have to give your method a stab some time. Good info to have if the Web goes dark for me some day.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
vetsurginc OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know about the library visible thing. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Yah. If I had my Zumo it would be easy to redo the update/download. But Garmin hasn't sent my refurb yet. Hopefully it comes before the trip.

Of course the way we're going back and forth on routes, it may be time to just paper map it and save the GPS as a "just in case" situation

Thanks again.

doug
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
vetsurginc OP
Adventurer

Quote:

Joys of being slow. I'm still running 10.6.8 on the iMac I use for the Garmin. So found the library with no problem, but low and behold, no Garmin librar under the Application Support branch. In my Garmin folder I do have dll files with mapinstallrus.dll as one. Could these be the missing app supports?

Good news. Garmin says my device is on it's way back!

Thanks again for the help.

doug
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Steve W
Old Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
Joys of being slow. I'm still running 10.6.8 on the iMac I use for the Garmin. So found the library with no problem, but low and behold, no Garmin librar under the Application Support branch. In my Garmin folder I do have dll files with mapinstallrus.dll as one. Could these be the missing app supports?

Good news. Garmin says my device is on it's way back!

Thanks again for the help.

doug
There are two or more library directories. One for each user and a universal one in the root of the hard drive. BaseCamp and all of the map files will be in your "user" Library, not the one found in _Macintosh Hard Drive_Library. If it's not, I don't have a clue where it would have been installed.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
vetsurginc OP
Adventurer

Success at last. Transfered maps tracks and routes to the laptop!

Thanks for the hand holding
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT