Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #76
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
I gave us Berkeley and Iowa State. And many references in the Wiki article. I gave you Mother Jones as editorial commentary and stated it as such. Anyway, I'm done with you, and will let other folks draw their own conclusions.

edit: note to others. If you pay attention to the type of hysterical misdirection of his rebuttals, it is a hallmark of someone who either does not understand what he is saying or more often, is hiding something. Or lying.
Why Fred, resorting to personal attacks would be construed by some as an indication that your position lacks valid factual support.

stevie88 screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 10:54 AM
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #77
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Why Fred, resorting to personal attacks would be construed by some as an indication that you're position lacks valid factual support.
See previous comment about hysterical misdirection. Anyway now I am REALLY done.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #78
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
See previous comment about hysterical misdirection. Anyway now I am REALLY done.
You just gave the moderator license to send you to banned camp if you post again.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #79
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Having read the first post and bits and pieces of the ensuing discussion; I see no reason why the manufacturers couldn't make the tanks more ethanol friendly. I for one am thinking of trying to see how ethanol friendly I can make my bike once i get back from deployment and buy it. If the old muscle car/hot rod guys can make their cars ethanol friendly, I don;t see why I can't make a majority of the fuel system on a modern bike the same way. I remember watching a show on power block (it's been a while) where they rebuilt a carb for E85. From what I remember, they replaced all the rubber seals and rejetted it. In the end it was E85 friendly, made a significant gain in power and used about 30% more fuel. The average motorcycle tank may not like E85, but it would be nice to know that the rest of the system can manage the occasional tank of E85. You wouldn't have much to worry about with E10 at that point.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #80
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Having read the first post and bits and pieces of the ensuing discussion; I see no reason why the manufacturers couldn't make the tanks more ethanol friendly. I for one am thinking of trying to see how ethanol friendly I can make my bike once i get back from deployment and buy it. If the old muscle car/hot rod guys can make their cars ethanol friendly, I don;t see why I can't make a majority of the fuel system on a modern bike the same way. I remember watching a show on power block (it's been a while) where they rebuilt a carb for E85. From what I remember, they replaced all the rubber seals and rejetted it. In the end it was E85 friendly, made a significant gain in power and used about 30% more fuel. The average motorcycle tank may not like E85, but it would be nice to know that the rest of the system can manage the occasional tank of E85. You wouldn't have much to worry about with E10 at that point.
With a couple of exceptions, all modern motorcycle fuel systems are "E10 friendly". Making a modern bike "E85 friendly" would be a big deal and involve a lot more than replacing a few rubber bits and seals.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #81
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

# A new enzyme being introduced into the ethanol production process will allow a 100 mln gallon ethanol plant to use 1.8 mln bushel less corn to get the same output. Produced by Novozyme, the new enzyme will also boost corn oil extraction 13% and save 8% in energy costs for the plant. Most industries hope to add 1-2% a year to new efficiencies while the ethanol industry is running way ahead of that as new technology is discovered and adapted. This just makes it a little harder for the oil industry to kill.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #82
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Pissed

That's all we need 30% less range, or maybe we could make the fuel tanks 30% larger, because I don't have enough weight up high, I could always use more weight and or less range.

Actually what I could really use is a CHOICE! Let me the consumer decide if I want to put ethanol in my bike. You like ethanol fine, I don't. Problem is I have no choice! I can even live with you ethanol junkies using my tax dollars to subsidize a product that no one wants, if I had a choice!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #83
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
That's all we need 30% less range, or maybe we could make the fuel tanks 30% larger, because I don't have enough weight up high, I could always use more weight and or less range.

Actually what I could really use is a CHOICE! Let me the consumer decide if I want to put ethanol in my bike. You like ethanol fine, I don't. Problem is I have no choice! I can even live with you ethanol junkies using my tax dollars to subsidize a product that no one wants, if I had a choice!
There are so many errors and false assumptions in your post.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #84
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Quote:
It should still be a choice for the consumer to make and not forced upon us using government subsidies.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #85
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It should still be a choice for the consumer to make and not forced upon us using government subsidies.
You just made another error. Besides, you do have a choice. Buy the fuel or don't, but there are no subsidies involved in ethanol.

Now if you want to eliminate 10% of the US motor fuel supply by getting rid of ethanol and pay a considerably higher price at the pump for "pure gas" you are free to persue your misguided notion.

stevie88 screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 09:36 PM
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #86
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,563
Kevin Cameron of Cycle World Magazine has two articles about ethanol in the latest magazine. This guy is not prone to offering misguided false statements. Ethanol as an additive does not show well with the facts he offers.

The only winners are the corn lobbyists and corn farmers in the USA. Nobody or nothing else wins using this shit in our fuel.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #87
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Kevin Cameron of Cycle World Magazine has two articles about ethanol in the latest magazine. This guy is not prone to offering misguided false statements. Ethanol as an additive does not show well with the facts he offers.

The only winners are the corn lobbyists and corn farmers in the USA. Nobody or nothing else wins using this shit in our fuel.
I respect his opinion, but on this he's wrong.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #88
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 922
Ethanol is just a way to use the surplus corn and appease the huge factory farm lobby. It takes more oil to grow, fertilize, and transport the corn and ethanol than it can possibly save. Fertilizer is made from oil.

Ag pollution rivals the mess that are dependency on fossil fuels creates. Please share with us one obvious benefit of using ethanol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #89
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
Ethanol is just a way to use the surplus corn and appease the huge factory farm lobby. It takes more oil to grow, fertilize, and transport the corn and ethanol than it can possibly save. Fertilizer is made from oil.

Ag pollution rivals the mess that are dependency on fossil fuels creates. Please share with us one obvious benefit of using ethanol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Almost everything you said is wrong. Btw, I already have laid out its benefits.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #90
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
The 30%, I was referring to E85. E10, its more like 5%. There are still credits for blending ethanol, and I still dont have a choice, within 100 miles.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote