User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
stewy (Aus) OP
searching for a ride

Oddometer: 46
2.5 Bikes, 2 Riders, 9 wheels

Ok, so you have seen the back story (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379050), 6 years on and a lot of support from people across the USA and the world and so soon hopefully we might get a chance to share a meal with a few of you over a beer or 2, or maybe get the chance to ride shoulder to shoulder as we cross the great land.

We have been talking and dreaming about achieving this for some time now, and it's time to either bite the bullet and try it, or regret it forever.

Is it stupidity to think a couple (one a paraplegic) could cross the USA on 2 & a half bikes? Well we are planning to find out. The plan is to take 10 weeks to criss cross and zig zag our way from LA to NY, to see the sights and enjoy the freedom and those unique views and sensations that only a motorcyclist understands.

So a bit about the bikes and riders, well I can confirm one starter will be the heavily modded KTM 690 SMR, prep'd with wheel chair rack, also fitted with one paraplegic wife pilot. Wild, reckless, noisey and stunningly beautiful.

Second bike will be a DL650 piloted by yours truly.

The whole idea of the trip is see the main sights and attractions and but also to experience and see the many wonderful natural settings. For the most part I assume, with a wheelchair in tow, the views you get from the roads surpass where I can get her in a chair. Hopefully mix all that in with meeting a lot of friends from international forums and getting a chance share stories and experiences on an amazing trip.

Here is a rough map basically outlining our planned route.

[img][/IMG]

We are flying into LA on the 14th of June. Mostly you will note it tries to incorporate the sights as well as some of your most amazing riding roads, but please feel free to add input to the route as local knowledge is always a bonus. We are semi flexiable on the route and can adjust to the left or right if you're maybe located to either side of the squiggly line and would be keen to met us and it ties in with an end of day stops, we would love to meet you too and will do our best to try and make it happen where possible. We do have certain places were we would like to spend a few days/nights and in other parts it will just be an overnight stop. We are slowly starting to work out these parts so again some knowledge on approx times to ride some passes would be great.

To try and keep the cost down we are looking at varous options from carrying camping gear with us to couch hopping (in lenna's case couch rolling, haha) as well as mixing that in with the hotel accommodation

Anyway, we look forward to your input and please post up your approx area if you're keen to try and catch up with us as we pass through on what should hopefully be an epic ride.

Will be putting up our day schedule aswell so if you wanna catchup as we pass through please shout out. With my wife a paraplegic we have had to plan some nights (and distance on certain days to reflect delay times we might encounter.

Anyway more detailed maps to follow, and hopefully see a few of you on the road (I know some here think adventure riding is off road, but try riding a bike when you can't walk, to us that adventurous enough, for the time being anyway)

stewy (Aus) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
stewy (Aus) OP
searching for a ride

Oddometer: 46
oh yes you might of seen it on a few other usa forums aswell, will try and update them all as we go.
stewy (Aus) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,506
Outstanding guys, wishing you the best from ya Kiwi brothers!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Awesome! S'scribed & Following. There's good riding here in San Diego if you're so inclined. I'm certain you'd like to get a Palomar Mtn. ride in. Let me know, Wife & I have extra space in the house & the garage also.

Shooby screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 02:27 PM
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
AWESOME! I'll be following along too. When you get up towards Idaho pop me a PM, would love to chit-chat maybe a ride.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,627
Wonderfull! Have fun!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Thumb

Nice bike! Have a great trip. Looks like an excellent route.
rootsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
rcskier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
When you get towards PA, send out an email. Would love to meet up. If possible. Kinda looks like you are heading up through the middle of the state. I live in the eastern part but hey, any excuse to ride!!!
rcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
bdubbin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Neat bike! I look forward to reading this adventure!
bdubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,408
Very cool! I'm in, looking forward to seeing this adventure unfold!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Sounds great, route looks awesome. What I am really interested in is the KTM! That thing is awesome, I would love to have one! Custom made or a kit? It does lean while turning, right?

Oh yeah, I travel the South West a few times and would suggest, Zion National Park, Grand Canyon, Bryce National Park, Moab, Canyonlands, Arches National park.......But they are mostly located in Utah.

Subscribed.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
I love getting in at the beggining of these big reports!
I'm also curious about the bike & why that instead of a Spyder or Ural or the other various options.

Come on June 14th!!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,540
Epic ride for the two of you, pre-congratulations.

You need to include Utah, as rico pointed out. Zion & Bryce as a minimum, should not be missed. An easy reroute back to the west across Nevada and through Yosemite will be quite simple.

You'll be hitting the Mojave desert and it is heating up a bit. The key is to keep skin exposure is a minimum. If you don't always wear a riding jacket, at least put on long sleeve shirts through the desert's.

Welcome to the U.S.!
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,199
Looks like a great plan!
If you are open to suggestions, I'd like to suggest heading slightly north from your planned Mississippi River crossing to Dorena, Missouri where you can for $5 per bike cross the Big Muddy by ferry to Hickman, Kentucky.
Maybe not a big deal in the overall scope of you trip, but a nice little look back to the time before steel bridges crossed the waters.
In Hickman , find the Kentucky Kernal to try some wild shelled pecans. The wild ones are much smaller, more delicate and more flavorful than the commercial varyities.
Anyway this reroute doesn't take you far off your original plan,but , it does get you into the great state of Kentucky.

Oh, the ferry is closed right now due to high water on the Mississippi , but it won't stay high forever.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
Rider John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Have a great time you two! As others have said, Utah is beautiful and Moab will make you say "WOW"!
Rider John is offline   Reply With Quote