Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
The Tesla is plugged in....

Got in on the First Response!!

That picture is historic for me as it's the first electric vehicle I've seen parked in a residential driveway and plugged in... I think that will be much more common in years to come...
Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Cool Tesla! They are getting to be more common. Yesterday I saw 2 within a half mile stretch.

Why can't other car makers produce beautiful, sexy "green" cars?

Now all you need is a roof full of solar panels.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
I saw one on my street a while back.(Red Deer AB)
Couldn't imagine what it took to get it here in time or money seeing as the nearest
dealer is Seattle.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post

That, because the other vehicle is a Land Rover, your fleet average fuel economy is still only 14 mpg? (I wonder about long-term damage to your charging cord from having the garage door sitting on it.)
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,755
Buddy of mine just got a Volt as a company car. Surprised me when I rode to his house and saw a car in his driveway with a cord running to the house. . .

I was really surprised by the acceleration when we took it for a ride. That instant power could get pretty addicting.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,430
I never did like their music.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,189
White is a terrible color for that car.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,573
It's nice looking except for the carp front end. The nose is terrible looking.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
Cool Tesla! They are getting to be more common. Yesterday I saw 2 within a half mile stretch.

Why can't other car makers produce beautiful, sexy "green" cars?
Because they typically have terrible range, obscene charge times, and aren't *really* green, especially depending on where you live. In some places (like here, where most of our electricity comes from hydro dams), for some people (those who drive short distances to work) they make sense. Everywhere else, for the rest of the population, they suck.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Because they typically have terrible range, obscene charge times, and aren't *really* green, especially depending on where you live. In some places (like here, where most of our electricity comes from hydro dams), for some people (those who drive short distances to work) they make sense. Everywhere else, for the rest of the population, they suck.
You haven't been keeping up. Elon Musk is building charging stations, with a goal of being able to go coast-to-coast (on I-80) by winter, and with coverage of 98% of the population of the U.S. and Canada by 2015. They're testing a new rapid charger that can fully recharge the battery pack in 20 minutes, and expect to deploy them this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/tesla-promises...5RnAQAegzQtDMD

No, it's not a TDI, with its 600-mile range, but it's not a Leaf, either. It'd be nice if the stations weren't Tesla-only, but until battery packs and control circuits are standardized, it would be dangerous to try to rapid-charge any Joe Blow who happens along.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Yes, they're getting better. And in the future, with greener electricity available, I believe they will be THE mode of transportation. However, a claimed 200 miles to a charge (ever try to get 36 mpg out of a car rated for 36 mpg?) and 30 minutes to charge to 50% just won't cut it in the long run. That's 30 minutes charge time to go 100 miles, in addition to travel time.

Definitely a step in the right direction, but not up to snuff compared to typical ICE engines.

With that said, I can't WAIT until they get batteries/capacitors figured out. The simplicity of electric vehicles is something that we will ALL benefit from... eventually.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
You haven't been keeping up. Elon Musk is building charging stations, with a goal of being able to go coast-to-coast (on I-80) by winter, and with coverage of 98% of the population of the U.S. and Canada by 2015. They're testing a new rapid charger that can fully recharge the battery pack in 20 minutes, and expect to deploy them this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/tesla-promises...5RnAQAegzQtDMD
From your link, "Tesla said new technology is being tested now that will allow its cars to be fully recharged in about 20 minutes. The technology will be available at stations this summer, the company said." So, the implication is that the battery in the car is charged but it's an imprecise statement.

My neighbor with the Model S said that the rumor is battery swaps. Apparently the battery can be removed very quickly.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
From your link, "Tesla said new technology is being tested now that will allow its cars to be fully recharged in about 20 minutes. The technology will be available at stations this summer, the company said." So, the implication is that the battery in the car is charged but it's an imprecise statement.

My neighbor with the Model S said that the rumor is battery swaps. Apparently the battery can be removed very quickly.
I don't see how that's the actual solution, especially since they're letting the folks with extended-range Model Ss recharge for free.

I do think an electric motorcycle could be set up with swappable range-extender batteries, fitting a couple of briefcase-sized compartments between the side cases and the rear subframe, and using a system similar to a BBQ propane tank exchange to swap batteries on a trip. The difference is that the batteries would be recharged on-site, unlike a propane bottle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: