Originally Posted by svs View Post

The Land Rover isn't in the shop
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
The license plate on the Tesla:
YFF### add a couple of letters...?

I thought that was what the OP was pointing out...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
White is a terrible color for that car.
the car is "green" pay attention man
crampfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,428
Is anyone out there working on developing electric cars that have easily swapped batteries? That really seems like the ideal situation: just pull into a fueling station and swap the battery.

Or hell, allow for an "extender" battery- something small, like briefcase size, that could be grabbed at a fueling station and plugged into the car to get some extra mileage in a pinch.

It really seems that electric vehicles are viable, even with today's batteries, but the infrastructure really needs developing. And sorry, but quick charge stations are not the way to go.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
I don't see how that's the actual solution, especially since they're letting the folks with extended-range Model Ss recharge for free.

I do think an electric motorcycle could be set up with swappable range-extender batteries, fitting a couple of briefcase-sized compartments between the side cases and the rear subframe, and using a system similar to a BBQ propane tank exchange to swap batteries on a trip. The difference is that the batteries would be recharged on-site, unlike a propane bottle.
The Tesla battery can be removed in about five minutes apparently, from under the car. Maybe it will still be free to swap batteries. I don't think fully charging an 80Kwh battery in 20 minutes can be done with the batteries Tesla uses without a huge cooling system if it is possible at all. Also, I did some rough calculation and I think it would require a four inch conductor.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,971
I've seen how some people take care of their shit.

I don't want to swap batteries...

Not that I can afford anything other than an econobox gaser.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #22
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
The Tesla battery can be removed in about five minutes apparently, from under the car. Maybe it will still be free to swap batteries. I don't think fully charging an 80Kwh battery in 20 minutes can be done with the batteries Tesla uses without a huge cooling system if it is possible at all. Also, I did some rough calculation and I think it would require a four inch conductor.
He was talking about being able to charge 4-10 cars simultaneously, and eventually running the chargers from solar panels. I don't see how the charging stations can be unstaffed if they're planning to swap packs, and I don't see how they can offer free charging if they have to have staff.

I think the current rapid charger is 480V, so who knows what voltage the new 20-minute charger will be.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
ig_88e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Is anyone out there working on developing electric cars that have easily swapped batteries? That really seems like the ideal situation: just pull into a fueling station and swap the battery.

Check out http://www.betterplace.com/
ig_88e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
Splendidtutional
What does that mean?

Oddometer: 47
Not so better place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig_88e View Post
would be great except... http://blog.caranddriver.com/followi...lace-analysis/
Splendidtutional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,485
Yeah but.....

the electricity to charge them has to come from some where.

The Greenies don't want more oil or coal powered electricity stations, the definitely don't want nuclear.
The DO want green such as Solar or wind - problem is other people don't want wind because of the 'blot on the land scape' or the noise or birds fly in them.
Solar takes up a lot of space etc

Sure its good the technologies are being developed but is it really environmentaly friendly?

Take the Toyota Prius for example, they are essentially building a normal car, and then building electric motors and the batteries for it - all taking more resources at production than to build a normal car. It MAY pay off in the long term, but surely that would depend on the cost of the electricity and where that comes from.

Sorry for the hijack but this is some thing that I struggle with

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Yeah but.....

The Greenies don't want more oil or coal powered electricity stations, the definitely don't want nuclear.
The DO want green such as Solar or wind - problem is other people don't want wind because of the 'blot on the land scape' or the noise or birds fly in them.
Solar takes up a lot of space etc

Sure its good the technologies are being developed but is it really environmentaly friendly?

Take the Toyota Prius for example, they are essentially building a normal car, and then building electric motors and the batteries for it - all taking more resources at production than to build a normal car. It MAY pay off in the long term, but surely that would depend on the cost of the electricity and where that comes from.

Sorry for the hijack but this is some thing that I struggle with

Hay Ewe
I want a diesel electric car. Mount an efficient engine that runs at the most efficient RPM and have that run a generator to charge a battery pack/run the electric motors. Like the WWII US Fleet Boats!

I'm sure there is something wrong with my idea, though.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,217
Quote:
I want a diesel electric car. Mount an efficient engine that runs at the most efficient RPM and have that run a generator to charge a battery pack/run the electric motors. Like the WWII US Fleet Boats!

Also like most locomotives, I beleive.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:

also like most of the big haul trucks in open cast mines
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #29
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,383
Quote:

Aside from the diesel part, that's a Volt using the range extender. It's also available with diesel for powerboats and you get and Azipod in the deal just like big tugboats.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Yeah but.....

That's why Tesla wants to eventually make its charging stations solar powered.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: