User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Lighting a GG 280 Pro

You know the story about best laid plans... In replacing the fork seals on my Honda TLR 200 in prep for a trip to CO to do some trail riding, I discovered the right side lower fork is damaged and must be replaced, not the easiest part to find in short order.

So, change of plans, take the '02 GG 280 Pro. Problem is, no lights. I'd like to utilize the lighting system on the bike, unfortunately the wires were cut by the previous owner. Can someone tell me what color wire does what or direct me to a wiring schematic? Other suggestions for lights?
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post
You know the story about best laid plans... In replacing the fork seals on my Honda TLR 200 in prep for a trip to CO to do some trail riding, I discovered the right side lower fork is damaged and must be replaced, not the easiest part to find in short order.

So, change of plans, take the '02 GG 280 Pro. Problem is, no lights. I'd like to utilize the lighting system on the bike, unfortunately the wires were cut by the previous owner. Can someone tell me what color wire does what or direct me to a wiring schematic? Other suggestions for lights?
Ste... I mean john...

Best yet maybe not cheap (but what is?) solution is a battery powered LED setup they use on bicycles. the problem (remember I kind know the bike) is that until recently, gasgas bikes were wired with lights, without even 2 of what, 12 wires that have any easy disconnection joint. Plus they were put together in a tiny factory, where the builders might grab green wire on one bike, then next have red, yellow striped, what have you. Plus since in USA off road only, everyone CUT the wires off. I forget if you ended up with all that wiring & switches that was cut off, most tossed that stuff, but since DAD's 06, we keep that stuff and give it with bikes we sold off, because we bought the bike in a crate...

now "I" could, say (not sure where I saw a schematic) hog-farmer rig up some lights, since the lighting coils are used to run the fan at least. But I'm not positive on that either, because there is like anywhere from 12v to 18v if rectifier is in good working order, else might burn up lights? But really, think quick easy would be bicycle lights, even a pair for the front I guess?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
+1 on the Bicycle lights.

heres a wiring diagram for the 02 pro.
http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Kok2002Pro.jpg

Dont get too crazy with the wattage! I'd say 25 watts is safe but have heard of a few saying 50w works OK. The stock lights (incandescent back then) were very low, but I forget what the exact number was.

Hey - the great news is that you have the jetting specs for the GG from the reflex thread....lol
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
+1 on the Bicycle lights.

heres a wiring diagram for the 02 pro.
http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Kok2002Pro.jpg

Dont get too crazy with the wattage! I'd say 25 watts is safe but have heard of a few saying 50w works OK. The stock lights (incandescent back then) were very low, but I forget what the exact number was.

Hey - the great news is that you have the jetting specs for the GG from the reflex thread....lol
I havent gotten to that thread yet, lol. I bet i posted mine up backwards...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post

Is a weld repair not possible?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thanks guys. Any suggestions on a particular brand or model of bike light?
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote