Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,660
adjusting R100GS steering head bearings?

Anyone, can you give me some directions?

I'm experiencing some front end weave (head shake) at around 75-80 depending on wind. Tried adding more preload to the rear shocks, no change, fork oil is brand new 15wt with the correct volumes, springs are very young progressives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
http://largiader.com/bearings/
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,174
What's your tyre like? tread pattern wear etc.

Mick
Old 07-28-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Hi Solo,
Some questions.....
How much weight do you have on the back of the bike when this happens?Is it loaded or unloaded?
-What preload spacers are you using?
-How much do you weigh?
-What tires are you riding?
-What air pressure are you running?
FYI, the Gold Valve made the headshakes disappear unless the bike has a lot of gear on the rack and is kind of overloaded.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Good questions,

I'm running Gripsters front an rear, noticed this behavior at 1,000 miles and recently with about 3000 miles one 'em. Both are at 35 lbs/in2 (checked the pressure before riding to and out of the mountains when this happened). This has only happended when running the bike 75-80 mph with the boxes on the back, first loaded BMW panniers (last year) and yesterday with happy trails that were carrying less then 5 lbs of junk in each. Haven't noticed the problem when running these speeds (w/ boxes) on the flat as much, mostly climbing or decending long grades)

I weight around 175 lbs with my gear on.

I haven't measured the preload spacers in with the progressives... if there are any in there.

The rear shock is a works performance that I bought from ctn Ron, He changed the gas/oil in it and it seems to work nicely.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow
Hi Solo,
Some questions.....
How much weight do you have on the back of the bike when this happens?Is it loaded or unloaded?
-What preload spacers are you using?
-How much do you weigh?
-What tires are you riding?
-What air pressure are you running?
FYI, the Gold Valve made the headshakes disappear unless the bike has a lot of gear on the rack and is kind of overloaded.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jorge

Quote:
Old 07-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
UnrEgistered
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
check for loose hard bag mounts

A similar if not identical problem was discussed years ago in the bmw-gs forum and for at least one of us the problem turned out to be that our hard bags with age and time would loosen up at the plastic mounting points.
If the front end wobble only happens with your bags on and over 75mph, see if the bags might be loose in the mounts. If so, try cutting some 1/2" rubber hose lengthwise and use it on the rack mounts to take up any loose slack. Was a cheap and easy fix for my front end wobble.

unreg'd
UnrEgistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Thanks Un,

I'm running Happy trails panniers on touratech racks with TT mounting hardware... so I think all is good but will verify tonight!

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrEgistered
A similar if not identical problem was discussed years ago in the bmw-gs forum and for at least one of us the problem turned out to be that our hard bags with age and time would loosen up at the plastic mounting points.
If the front end wobble only happens with your bags on and over 75mph, see if the bags might be loose in the mounts. If so, try cutting some 1/2" rubber hose lengthwise and use it on the rack mounts to take up any loose slack. Was a cheap and easy fix for my front end wobble.

unreg'd

Quote:
Old 07-28-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
I,ve had the same problem from day one after installing tt bags. Ohlins rear, Wurth fronts, steering head bearings adjusted, loaded and unloaded. Numerous tire combos, passenger, no passenger. I give up. Above 75 mph but lower when bucking wind. Riders behind me can actually see the rear of the bike wobble. I assume the aeros of the boxes and some inherant design of the bike is the reason. Anyway after a few years i,ve gotten used to it and it adds to the character of the bike.

But if you fix yours, tell me, I hate character. bye
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Could be the bags... but because it also happened with the stock bags, and because I know other R100GS riders that didn't have the problem with the stock bags my fingers are crossed that it's fixable... but who knows.

I'll adjust the steering head bearing this weekend and see if there is any diff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc4pd
I,ve had the same problem from day one after installing tt bags. Ohlins rear, Wurth fronts, steering head bearings adjusted, loaded and unloaded. Numerous tire combos, passenger, no passenger. I give up. Above 75 mph but lower when bucking wind. Riders behind me can actually see the rear of the bike wobble. I assume the aeros of the boxes and some inherant design of the bike is the reason. Anyway after a few years i,ve gotten used to it and it adds to the character of the bike.

But if you fix yours, tell me, I hate character. bye

Quote:
Old 07-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Yeah good point. With stock bags I didn't have any hint of a problem and with no bags also no weaving either. Also make sure that smallish front fork brace is tight. Mine had loosened up ever so slightly and I felt a small clunk when turning lock to lock in the garage. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Just curious...
How are your swingarm bearings? When was the last time you checked 'em?
cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

I actually had the swing arm off about 500 miles ago and adjusted by the book then... the weaving is actually a tiny bit less noticible then last summer (with stock bags) and happens at different speeds.... I'm doing the steering head bearings today and am thinking I will also remove the LARGE spoilers from my touratech hand protectors to see if I am getting any front end weave from having those big sails out front.

The fork brace is tight.... just checked when I put on the Acerbis baja front fender and fender brace....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow
Just curious...
How are your swingarm bearings? When was the last time you checked 'em?
cheers,
Jorge

Quote:
Old 07-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #13
MotorMike
Adventure Dork

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
I actually had the swing arm off about 500 miles ago and adjusted by the book then... the weaving is actually a tiny bit less noticible then last summer (with stock bags) and happens at different speeds.... I'm doing the steering head bearings today and am thinking I will also remove the LARGE spoilers from my touratech hand protectors to see if I am getting any front end weave from having those big sails out front.

The fork brace is tight.... just checked when I put on the Acerbis baja front fender and fender brace....
I have noticed that most bikes that you sit upright on with wide bars (dual sports with no wind shield are the worst) tend to weave at higher speeds when riding with both hands on the bars. When riding a DR350 on the freeway I always ride with one hand on the throttle, and one hand on the fork top to prevent this exact effect. It is a bit of a strange feeling to let go of one hand and have the weaving stop. Try riding with both hands on the bars, then only one hand. I bet that you will find that the slow weaving stops.

The effect seams to be the wind pressure on one shoulder is higher than the other, that shoulder moves backward pulling the other shoulder foward, while the first shoulder starts spilling air, the process repeats.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #14
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

tried the largiader method using the section of copper pipe and I'm confused, it torquing the "lock tude" to 9ftlbs goiong to correctly adjust the "adjustment ring" to 9 ftlbs??? if so, why doesn't the torque rise significantly when you then torqu the lock to to it's final 47 ftlbs?????

HELP!!!

Quote:
Old 07-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
tried the largiader method using the section of copper pipe and I'm confused, it torquing the "lock tude" to 9ftlbs goiong to correctly adjust the "adjustment ring" to 9 ftlbs??? if so, why doesn't the torque rise significantly when you then torqu the lock to to it's final 47 ftlbs?????

HELP!!!
The adjuster won't turn when the spacer is removed. All three pieces (adjuster, inner lockbolt, outer locknut) get locked together by the tube. When the tube is removed, the adjuster stays put and the inner lockbolt and outer locknut wedge against the fork bridge.