Oddometer: 82
Me like.

Fujis new factory bike, me like.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #50
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
any info on this?:
"Finally, another important improvement is the noticeable reduction of the engine brake, a characteristic of the 4stroke engines that has been intelligently solved by the Honda engineers by incorporating a crankcase decompressing system. Through this system, when closing the throttle, the engine brake is minimized making the motorcycle feel more light and easy to control."
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #51
Nostop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerbro View Post
Fujis new factory bike, me like.

Me too I notice they have the new plastics and fuel tank on their factory bikes, but the fuel tank has been cut down from the bottom up. The rad has been painted black too (always use to bee silver), I guess their trying to make the factory bikes look like the new 260's.
Nostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #52
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Tech info 4RT

Good tech info here on the new 4RT. Today the Press are testing the bike and write ups should be up soon.

Standard Cota

http://www.honda-montesa.es/montesa/...cteristicas=si

Repsol Replica

http://www.honda-montesa.es/montesa/...rt_replica_eng

LowPSI screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 01:22 PM
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #53
Jonny042 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Much ado about very little

I have to admit I was pretty excited about the launch but I am pretty disappointed with this.... I thought they said "totally renovated" or something like that in the hype leading up to this... this looks like the bike they needed to introduce in 2009. Same old bike with a few new bits, isn't it?

Knowing Honda, the changes are a big step forward, and I love the look of the red plastic/silver frame bike, so if they really can cut the price by a significant amount at least it's a step in the right direction, but it just strikes me as too little too late. And still 10 pounds overweight (nothing removing a couple of strokes wouldn't fix )

Too bad. Although if this gets Mont back into the North American market I could see it as a great choice choice for many riders. These are quality bikes and they do ride nicely.

Now.... there WAS mention on the spanish websites of a possibility of a new more revolutionary model next year?
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #54
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
any info on this?:
"Finally, another important improvement is the noticeable reduction of the engine brake, a characteristic of the 4stroke engines that has been intelligently solved by the Honda engineers by incorporating a crankcase decompressing system. Through this system, when closing the throttle, the engine brake is minimized making the motorcycle feel more light and easy to control."
Yup, it's called a 2 stroke

I find it odd that engine braking is ascribed to crankcase compression pulses. A 2 stroke compresses air under the piston, and if 4 strokes are doing the same, what's the major difference? I always ascribed single cylinder 4 stroke added throttle-off braking all the extra strokes and power required to run a valve train.

Here is another interpretation. That hype with a blacked-out bike preceded the revelation that it was the old body with some new paint. Perhaps Hontesa needed to toss in little 'Retsin'... marketing BS (like 'Yamaha' of the `70s and `80s) to add distinction to an otherwise non revolutionary bike?

And why not at least bore the cases out to accommodate a 300cc cylinder? Then it's just a matter of more cylinder wall for the 260.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #55
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,404
Considering the state of motorcycle industry and trials market in particular it's hard to imagine why anyone would be spending precious development funds and time in a thin market with thin returns.
Perhaps the most noteworthy development is the price drop, which may be the real driver behind all of this. If the bike turns out to be as good or better then that will just be a bonus!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #56
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Considering the state of motorcycle industry and trials market in particular it's hard to imagine why anyone would be spending precious development funds and time in a thin market with thin returns.
Perhaps the most noteworthy development is the price drop, which may be the real driver behind all of this. If the bike turns out to be as good or better then that will just be a bonus!
Smart man.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #57
Jonny042 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
Smart man.
Good news!

I managed to find some conjecture about pricing on one of the more obscure european forums, and they are pegging the "base" model at 500 euro more than a current raga gas gas, and the "race" model at a whopping 2000 more than that. So the base model at least is within a range it needs to be competitive. At that price this bike is a LOT more machine than any other bike out there. These things are screwed together very well, and built like tanks.... considering how well they are built it is a miracle they are as light as they are!

It may not be a new bike, but it is possibly cheap enough that we may once again see them as an option in North America. I think people new to the sport may identify with the bike, being a Honda, basically, and it could be attractive to people looking to cross over from enduro, mx, etc., and not to mention the "club" level rider that is looking for a dependable and durable machine that will last, and last, and last.
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #58
Nostop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Good news!

I managed to find some conjecture about pricing on one of the more obscure european forums, and they are pegging the "base" model at 500 euro more than a current raga gas gas, and the "race" model at a whopping 2000 more than that. So the base model at least is within a range it needs to be competitive. At that price this bike is a LOT more machine than any other bike out there. These things are screwed together very well, and built like tanks.... considering how well they are built it is a miracle they are as light as they are!

It may not be a new bike, but it is possibly cheap enough that we may once again see them as an option in North America. I think people new to the sport may identify with the bike, being a Honda, basically, and it could be attractive to people looking to cross over from enduro, mx, etc., and not to mention the "club" level rider that is looking for a dependable and durable machine that will last, and last, and last.
A price I've heard, is 6500 for the 260 and 8500 for the race rep.
Nostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #59
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Just think of all the riders in the USA that have been nursing their old 4rt`s along! This is a giant breath of fresh air. Of course when they become available on this side!!!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #60
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Just think of all the riders in the USA that have been nursing their old 4rt`s along!

Nursing?? Started on one kick the day I bought it and starts on one kick now many, many trials later!