User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Motorcycle Only Check Points in NY

Sorry if this is 205 but came across it this week.

Although this isn't new NY has been setting up motorcycle only check points near the state border. They are checking for legal helmets, aftermarket exhaust, and other safety violations...of course while they got you they can check insurance, endorsement and DUI....

Apparently it was fought a few years ago but was upheld by a Federal Judge as constitutional .

A few states have banned the practice.... Virginia, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Illinois, California -- and legislation to prohibit them has been introduced in Missouri and New Jersey. LEO claims its no different than seat belt checkpoints where they waive motorcycle through....however if you ride through without a helmet I bet you get stopped...

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...eckpoints.aspx

I guess NY is aptly named the EMPIRE STATE! The Death Star is still under construction near the forest moon of Albany....I'd use the Chewbaca defense...
Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
TanasiRob
Squid Emeritus

Oddometer: 909
The requirements of probable cause to initiate a traffic stop are so incredibly thin in any state you need not target any particular group with a "safety" inspection.

This whole safety inspection topic is very elementary - much like traffic cops.

">
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
So long as they do not lecture anyone, they can stop you for a safety check if they want as far as I am concerned.

Personally I do not care as long as it doesn't hold me up for long. I have a license and insurance, and my bike is properly registered. I also always wear a helmet. :shrug

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,306
Empire State?

Vampire State.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 336
We got motorcycle only checkpoints outlawed here in California last year, but they've just changed their tactics. Now LEO's are conducting saturation patrols in areas that motorcyclists congregate. I don't mind them pulling over motorcyclists for doing dumb shit, as long as they pull over cars for doing the same thing.

Probable cause is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't like being singled out just because I'm on a motorcycle. That's harassment.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
Probable cause is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't like being singled out just because I'm on a motorcycle. That's harassment.
It's cuz you're black.

Or white.

Or whatever.

Seriously though, anything that singles out motorcyclists is bullshit. A "Safety checkpoint" should be stopping EVERYONE. How often do motorcyclists CAUSE accidents in comparison with distracted drivers? Pretty hard to fuck with a cell phone, or really do much of anything else other than ride while riding along.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Issues like this are just the canaries that are telling you that your coal mine is filling up with methane and about to explode. If I lived in NY, I'd leave. I used to live in CA, and I left. Crap like this has a lot to do with why.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
So long as they do not lecture anyone, they can stop you for a safety check if they want as far as I am concerned.

Personally I do not care as long as it doesn't hold me up for long. I have a license and insurance, and my bike is properly registered. I also always wear a helmet. :shrug

Jim

No disrespect but this argument is like burying your head in the sand. How many times have we heard from officials....if your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about its an intrusion and in my opinion goes against the 4th amendment...
Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Basically the Right to be left alone....
Old 06-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Motorcycle-only check points do NOT involve "probable cause". Neither do DUI checkpoints. The entire rationale is the opposite, whether or not there is probably cause is NOT a factor when you stop every car or every motorcycle, every 3rd one or 5th one, etc. To make these checkpoints legal they are pretty much required to set them up NOT to depend on probable cause.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,132
Chubby Soccer Moms united!! Now!

If you set up a mini van only check point, you would have a big problem. How is the single vehicle type inspection any different than a Truck Weigh Station?
What happens if I ride into NY on my ZX-14 an the Full Brocks Mega phone system?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
How is the single vehicle type inspection any different than a Truck Weigh Station?
I believe the difference (in the eyes of the law) is that weigh stations focus exclusively on commercial vehicles... so it's regulation of commerce.

I'm not arguing the merits of that position, merely stating the argument as I understand it.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
i'm going to second offcambers opinion here and philbs. that attitude is dangerous to our freedoms. i.e. the saying "when they came for the jews i did not object because i was not a jew." don't let your rights slip away a little at a time.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Sorry if this is 205 but came across it this week.

Although this isn't new NY has been setting up motorcycle only check points near the state border. They are checking for legal helmets, aftermarket exhaust, and other safety violations...of course while they got you they can check insurance, endorsement and DUI....

Apparently it was fought a few years ago but was upheld by a Federal Judge as constitutional .

A few states have banned the practice.... Virginia, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Illinois, California -- and legislation to prohibit them has been introduced in Missouri and New Jersey. LEO claims its no different than seat belt checkpoints where they waive motorcycle through....however if you ride through without a helmet I bet you get stopped...

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...eckpoints.aspx

I guess NY is aptly named the EMPIRE STATE! The Death Star is still under construction near the forest moon of Albany....I'd use the Chewbaca defense...

The REAL crime here is that NY state is using federal SAFETY FUNDING GRANTS to pay for police time to pull over motorcyclists.

Police can choose to pull over a particular type of vehicle. Commercial trucks get pulled over, for example. It sucks, but motorcyclists are not a protected class.

The thing about the safety funding is that NY state has a federal obligation to have a program to improve motorcycle safety. Instead of, say, making MSF classes free, or giving away free gear, or creating a compelling film about safety, NY state does checkpoints.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!

wiseblood screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 10:48 AM
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,586
Wicked

Better use of safety funding:

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
i'm going to second offcambers opinion here and philbs. that attitude is dangerous to our freedoms. i.e. the saying "when they came for the jews i did not object because i was not a jew." don't let your rights slip away a little at a time.
That is such crap! No one complains when the Border Patrol stops every car at the 25 mile checkpoint looking for illegals, been done forever.

I reiterate, what rights to privacy are you giving up? You are showing nothing other than you have the appropriate documents to be legally riding a motorcycle on the streets, AS THE LAW STATES YOU MUST AT ALL TIMES!

Comparring this to the holocaust is such crap. It only makes you look like a paranoid fool!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote