Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #61
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
They pulled the same crap in Virginia, so I do know what I am talking about.

By the way, if you actually read my posts, I never once said I like this!

Jim

I read your posts, understand you don't like this(which is not germaine) and am not simply swinging my dick.

I made a factual statement re: residing in NY. You either did, do, or don't.

It has nothing to do w/ VA, or you. At all.

Particularly in terms of changing laws:

For example, I presume you have heard of the SAFE Act* which was a wet dream on a Sunday afternoon and a Law by Tues evening? Proof positive this legislature is able to move swiftly & decisively if it wants to. Why cannot it do the business of the people just as expediently?

(NY is fucking drowning,btw, or do you know this secondhand too?)

Revenue enhancement , as it is formally termed, aka blood from a stone , is not such business. It is, however, what this thread is about(IMO) which you would glean if you actually read my post ;).

*NO desire to discuss this law on any level, it is merely a recent, relevant, example

ozmoses screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 11:05 AM
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #62
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Who the hell decided it was a privilege and not a right anyway. Do you have the right to choose for or against paying taxes for roadways? No. That's just big brother bullshit.
You benefit from those roadways. We all do. So we "all" pay for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorak
Anyhow, there is a school of thought that says driver licensing is unconstitutional.
I can't say I disagree with you. I wonder if they fall under the tenth amendment with a dash of interstate commerce control thrown in?

D
Old 06-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #63
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
I don't think licensing is a bad thing. I think using this against the public for revenue is. The states and citys shouldn't profit from this. They should be allowed to cover expenses and the excess should go to charity or something else beyond the interest of government. This would also reduce gold digging induced harrassment of motorists.

joexr screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 11:22 AM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #64
Treedguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
NY gasoline tax.... #1 in the country. 50.6/gallon.
http://taxfoundation.org/article/sta...ates-2009-2013

NY yearly inspection......................... $10

NY registration..................................$14

NY Initial plate fee ............................$50

NY Title fee......................................$25

NY metro commuter trans district...$10-$25
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/regfee.htm

I am sure I'm missing some. (like 8.5% sales tax) Bikes are cheap! Take a walk through the NY DMV site and try to run a business with trucks!

On top of the astronomical property tax. ($8-$15k for a modest home)

Oh, if you get snagged with an expired inspection (a favorite ticket) it will cost $120-$140.

Maybe a heads up here when these stops pop up.

Treedguy screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 05:52 PM
Treedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #65
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
The DHS' core is the desire to search. This discussion is about illegal search and the freedom from as guaranteed by the Constitution. If your employment is justified by the need to search, then you have a vested interest in extending searches to every venue available.

Illegal search pays your salary to make it as simple as possible.
You really have no clue what you are talking about. And making connections only a moron would make!

DHS stand for the department of Homeland Security. It's mission is security of the US, collecting fees for importing of goods, documenting and processing aliens and immigrants. It also contains about two dozen other organizations that have very little to do with searching. FEMA for example. So, go ahead and show your ignorance.

More information: http://www.dhs.gov/our-mission and http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/dhs-orgchart.pdf

I'm sure that you, as a mechanic, have a vested interest in selling as many parts, and the labor to install them, as possible, regardless of the need for them by the vehicle, hell you probably break as many as you can get away with the way you obviously think.

My job, procuring non-intrusive inspection equipment, X-ray equipment. Has zero to do with roadside checkpoints. So, as always, you are speaking out of your ass.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #66
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
I read your posts, understand you don't like this(which is not germaine) and am not simply swinging my dick.

I made a factual statement re: residing in NY. You either did, do, or don't.

It has nothing to do w/ VA, or you. At all.

Particularly in terms of changing laws:

For example, I presume you have heard of the SAFE Act* which was a wet dream on a Sunday afternoon and a Law by Tues evening? Proof positive this legislature is able to move swiftly & decisively if it wants to. Why cannot it do the business of the people just as expediently?

(NY is fucking drowning,btw, or do you know this secondhand too?)

Revenue enhancement , as it is formally termed, aka blood from a stone , is not such business. It is, however, what this thread is about(IMO) which you would glean if you actually read my post ;).

*NO desire to discuss this law on any level, it is merely a recent, relevant, example
You sound like an angry guy. Maybe a vacation, or a move to another state, is in order.

I didn't realize I actually had to live in NY, which you couldn't pay me enough to do, to have an opinion on these checkpoints. Obviously NY is like a foreign country that I couldn't possibly understand.

By the way, for someone who has "no desire to discuss this", you are sure doing a lot of typing.

Jim
Old 06-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #67
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I don't think licensing is a bad thing. I think using this against the public for revenue is. The states and citys shouldn't profit from this. They should be allowed to cover expenses and the excess should go to charity or something else beyond the interest of government. This would also reduce gold digging induced harrassment of motorists.

I agree. Once the state starts to monetarily benefit from it, not just protecting the public from unsafe and illegal vehicles, then it becomes wrong in my book.

Jim
Old 06-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #68
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Y
DHS stand for the department of Homeland Security. It's mission is security of the US
Utter bullcrap...
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #69
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
Utter bullcrap...
Are you speaking as an employee with intimate knowledge of the organization. Did you read the links, or do you just spout the usual BS?

Jim
Old 06-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #70
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,435
Quote:
You really have no clue what you are talking about. And making connections only a moron would make!

DHS stand for the department of Homeland Security. It's mission is security of the US, collecting fees for importing of goods, documenting and processing aliens and immigrants. It also contains about two dozen other organizations that have very little to do with searching. FEMA for example. So, go ahead and show your ignorance.

More information: http://www.dhs.gov/our-mission and http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/dhs-orgchart.pdf

I'm sure that you, as a mechanic, have a vested interest in selling as many parts, and the labor to install them, as possible, regardless of the need for them by the vehicle, hell you probably break as many as you can get away with the way you obviously think.

My job, procuring non-intrusive inspection equipment, X-ray equipment. Has zero to do with roadside checkpoints. So, as always, you are speaking out of your ass.

Jim
My customers choose to patronize my business. People who don't, don't pay anything and are not subject to any interaction by me. The people in this thread who have no issue with the searches, all appear to have law enforcement connections.

Is a non intrusive inspection another way to describe a search?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #71
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
My customers choose to patronize my business. People who don't, don't pay anything and are not subject to any interaction by me. The people in this thread who have no issue with the searches, all appear to have law enforcement connections.

Is a non intrusive inspection another way to describe a search?
And the people who have issue with these searches all appear to have issues with any kind of authority. Maybe those who actually know something about law enforcement have a bit of insight that allows an open mind about these things.

Just making comparisons, ignorant statement to ignorant statement. Only you know if you are a crook.

Since this thread has nothing to do with DHS, except for your efforts to belittle me and who I work for, I will not continue to bother answering your stupidity except to say google it.

Jim
Old 06-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #72
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
And the people who have issue with these searches all appear to have issues with any kind of authority. Maybe those who actually know something about law enforcement have a bit of insight that allows an open mind about these things.

Just making comparisons, ignorant statement to ignorant statement. Only you know if you are a crook.

Since this thread has nothing to do with DHS, except for your efforts to belittle me and who I work for, I will not continue to bother answering your stupidity except to say google it.

Jim
What burns my ass is the general do as I say , not as I do mentality of MOST law enforcement. If I do something really stupid , ok fine , give me a ticket , but don't give people tickets for infractions that they themselves commit regularly.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #73
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,435
Quote:

Jim
You brought my business up as a comparison. I explained that there aren't any similarities to unwarranted searches by taxpayer supported entities and an auto repair shop. Also, the machines you buy, are they used for searches?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #74
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
My take...

In my humble opinion, if large numbers of riders were not breaking the law, unjust as many believe those laws to be, law enforcement would not target them.

How many riders do you see riding with "skid lids" instead of a real helmet?

Why do so many riders cut off their mufflers and or remove baffles from their bikes. ( Sorry, I do not buy the "Loud pipes save lives" rationalization.)

I have been waved through these stops after only a glance at my bike, while those with the "organ donor" helmets & open pipes are sitting on the shoulder waiting for their citations.

Does that make me a sheep for obeying the law?

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #75
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrainer View Post
In my humble opinion, if large numbers of riders were not breaking the law, unjust as many believe those laws to be, law enforcement would not target them.

How many riders do you see riding with "skid lids" instead of a real helmet?

Why do so many riders cut off their mufflers and or remove baffles from their bikes. ( Sorry, I do not buy the "Loud pipes save lives" rationalization.)

I have been waved through these stops after only a glance at my bike, while those with the "organ donor" helmets & open pipes are sitting on the shoulder waiting for their citations.

Does that make me a sheep for obeying the law?
There is no place in this thread for that kind of thinking young man!

Jim