User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Even when you do it all wrong...

I'm a few events into my third year of competing on my trials bike. One thing that I've learned is that if I'm patient and don't dab immediately I can get away with some pretty big mistakes. The video below is a good example. I blew the approach and completely missed the log with the front wheel. That meant no compression and no lift. The log is elevated enough that I didn't expect to make it after screwing up so badly. I resisted the urge to stop on top and waited to see what would happen. It was ugly, but over is over... I did get it right on another attempt, but of course, there's no video of that.

I share this embarrassing moment with you all to pass on that little pearl of wisdom. Resist the dab until you're sure you need it. Easier said than done!
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
GrayEagleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Over is Over!

I can vouch for MJ, I was the cameraman. The attempt just before this one was clean with only some minor tire spin due to dried bark on log. Something about the camera make my brain cramp too.

Good advice. I think I am too quick to dab... except for that early log crossing when I dabbed with my left butt cheek. I'm just glad that most of my crossings were "over." And like you said, over is over!
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 289
Ugly? Looked pretty good to me..you guys make it look effortless!
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
I share this embarrassing moment with you all to pass on that little pearl of wisdom. Resist the dab until you're sure you need it. Easier said than done!
Do you happen to recall how many times it has been said (by me at least), to find a trials riding buddy that knows how to ride?

Well, the reason for the S-A question is, not long ago this was how we got over logs, especially without the monoshock bikes. Yet, now-days, it is STILL one way of getting over a (bigger) log, just about like you do it in the video. In fact, some logs I prefer to go slightly slower, to get the bike just on the log, just enough to then "rock" forward, and on over the the log, compared to how you kept it all one motion. Sure, it is NOT "No-Stop" approved, but it lets you come off the log and turn quickly, or what have you.

What I see, from an instructional point of view, you are in 3rd year? you should never give yourself more than 2 bike lengths "approach" anymore then you should force a sharp turn aftewards, within a bike & a half... When you practice, you practice "up" as in harder than your class. Because, in a trials I will never ever give you more than 2 bike lengths, except for maybe a hillclimb start, where you make your own approach.

Did you see my video of my teenager that bought his 1st bike in late october of 2012, He'd been riding qwads mainly, so it was basically his first motorcycle.

This is kind of what I mean by practicing "up"...
here is the video (might be a link to several videos on youtube under my nickname). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hhQS...475E280726B996
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Do you happen to recall how many times it has been said (by me at least), to find a trials riding buddy that knows how to ride?
So you're saying I shouldn't ride when I don't have a better riding buddy available? If that's the case, I'd ride about 3 times per year. There are very few folks nearby who ride trials.

Quote:

What I see, from an instructional point of view, you are in 3rd year? you should never give yourself more than 2 bike lengths "approach" anymore then you should force a sharp turn aftewards, within a bike & a half... When you practice, you practice "up" as in harder than your class. Because, in a trials I will never ever give you more than 2 bike lengths, except for maybe a hillclimb start, where you make your own approach.
Nope, first gear, and my bike has lower than stock gearing. Yeah, I know you practice up and all that... I was goofing off... having fun. I'm very aware that I'm never going to be an amazing rider. Sometimes I ride just to have fun. No, scratch that... I ALWAYS ride to have fun. Sometimes I practice with focus and sometimes I goof off.

Jeebus. I knew I shouldn't have posted anything. I was goofing off and made a stupid mistake that got captured on video. I thought it was worthwhile to point out that even when you do it wrong you can get away with it much of the time. I did NOT post it as any sort of demonstration about how to do something correctly.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
So you're saying I shouldn't ride when I don't have a better riding buddy available? If that's the case, I'd ride about 3 times per year. There are very few folks nearby who ride trials.

Nope, first gear, and my bike has lower than stock gearing. Yeah, I know you practice up and all that... I was goofing off... having fun. I'm very aware that I'm never going to be an amazing rider. Sometimes I ride just to have fun. No, scratch that... I ALWAYS ride to have fun. Sometimes I practice with focus and sometimes I goof off.

Jeebus. I knew I shouldn't have posted anything. I was goofing off and made a stupid mistake that got captured on video. I thought it was worthwhile to point out that even when you do it wrong you can get away with it much of the time. I did NOT post it as any sort of demonstration about how to do something correctly.

Sorry, I was being constructive, I didn't realize I would piss you off.

I said 3rd year? not gear. I semi challenged you to challenge yourself, and I tried to make lite of the whole thing, by even saying it was a Smart Ass (SA) comment by me... Jebus.

BTW, I have heard lots of people saying 'just having fun' never be a 'stud' but they start practicing and suddenly it renews themselves into that guy that just suddenly gets better.

No,about the comment of dont ride if you dont have a trials buddy... are you so sensitive all the time? I was just being a little silly with my post. Pointing out that you had used on of the many 'tactics' we've learned to get over a log, good job and I really like the video, and your learning a lot IMHO, I just didn't go on and on about that "congrats" part, sorry.

I am sorry for any strife I caused you this morning.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
MJ - I dont think Sting was trying to send a negative message, but it obviously was interpreted that way. I think he goes into teacher mode automatically and over stepped abit. I would agree with everything you both said, just on different pages.

To your original point, I give up WAY too many dabs that aren't needed. Its usually related to my confidence factor (lack of) and I give up nervous and stupid points. Conversely, I ride with a guy who is a decent rider and a GREAT recovery artist. Everytime I watch him ride a tough section for the 1st time, I end up laughing cause its just amazing what he will pull off. He seems to get away with it - when I do that, I usually end up in a yard sale... He always reminds me of the saying "desperate men do desperate things" - I swear he rides some of the hardest lines and just keeps going. He just refuses to give into the dab and the heck with the consequences.
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
MJ - I dont think Sting was trying to send a negative message, but it obviously was interpreted that way. I think he goes into teacher mode automatically and over stepped abit. I would agree with everything you both said, just on different pages.

To your original point, I give up WAY too many dabs that aren't needed. Its usually related to my confidence factor (lack of) and I give up nervous and stupid points. Conversely, I ride with a guy who is a decent rider and a GREAT recovery artist. Everytime I watch him ride a tough section for the 1st time, I end up laughing cause its just amazing what he will pull off. He seems to get away with it - when I do that, I usually end up in a yard sale... He always reminds me of the saying "desperate men do desperate things" - I swear he rides some of the hardest lines and just keeps going. He just refuses to give into the dab and the heck with the consequences.

Laser, we have a guy in our club, like you mention that can have the uncanny "recovery" luck, he's in Sr Amature, & I get the giggles so hard watching him ride the sections I judge, that I cannot video him, i have even tried.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,533
One of the many things I have inmate A-team to thank for is helping me to learn patience in the section. I can remember specifically a section at Angel Fire a few years ago where I wound up stopped off-line with my front tire on top of a cut sapling stump. Tony exhorted me to calm down and just ride the damn thing. The bikes are capable of so much more than any novice or amateur really realizes at first.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I am sorry for any strife I caused you this morning.
I was chuckling a little while replying, but I did read your post the wrong way. Stress level high... thought level low...

A couple of years ago I took a lot of crap for not wanting to compete and just wanting to play ride. I guess had a little flashback.

My apologies!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
so does this mean we'll see more video's? If you do, for god sakes put in some turns...Kidding MJ...

ALWAYS Have fun out there - none of us are Pro's and probably never will be, but I know I have alot of fun and have made some very good friends making an ass out of myself on a trials bike.
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
so does this mean we'll see more video's? If you do, for god sakes put in some turns...Kidding MJ...

ALWAYS Have fun out there - none of us are Pro's and probably never will be, but I know I have alot of fun and have made some very good friends making an ass out of myself on a trials bike.
Just for you... you've seen bad log crossings... now get ready for bad turning. I took this over the winter on a greasy, leaf & root covered hillside in my yard.

I originally bought the trials bike to ride in my yard, 'cause I was tired of driving several hours to ride my dirt bike. After a lot of peer pressure (abuse?) here, I finally went to an event to check it out. I had a great time and met some great people. Now I drive several hours every few weeks to events. So much for not driving to ride. I also ride ~ once a week at home. I went from riding my dirt bike 4-5 times a year to riding my trials bike 4-5 times per month. Good stuff!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
I'm a few events into my third year of competing on my trials bike. One thing that I've learned is that if I'm patient and don't dab immediately I can get away with some pretty big mistakes. The video below is a good example. I blew the approach and completely missed the log with the front wheel. That meant no compression and no lift. The log is elevated enough that I didn't expect to make it after screwing up so badly. I resisted the urge to stop on top and waited to see what would happen. It was ugly, but over is over... I did get it right on another attempt, but of course, there's no video of that.

See if you can get hold of the instructional book by Bernie Schrieber and Len Weed..........."Observed Trials". It dates back to the 1980s, but explains very clearly the basic techniques you will need to master before going on to the very much more advanced stuff you are likely to see in present day videos and DVD's.

Once you have got the basics everything else will follow on much more easily. Something thats worth while doing to improve your bike at very little cost, and will help your riding, is to fit a fast action throttle (white throttle tube) if you dont have one already.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Just for you... you've seen bad log crossings... now get ready for bad turning. I took this over the winter on a greasy, leaf & root covered hillside in my yard.

I originally bought the trials bike to ride in my yard, 'cause I was tired of driving several hours to ride my dirt bike. After a lot of peer pressure (abuse?) here, I finally went to an event to check it out. I had a great time and met some great people. Now I drive several hours every few weeks to events. So much for not driving to ride. I also ride ~ once a week at home. I went from riding my dirt bike 4-5 times a year to riding my trials bike 4-5 times per month. Good stuff!
Sadly, on that log crossing, 'that is a clean' so you can't call it a BAD log crossing. although your "competitors" will groan sometimes, if that happens in a section where they put his/her foot down at same spot.

in fact, the more 'little mistakes' you have like that, are {self taught, or instructor led} lessons you got to have at least taken the exams on

Now get out there and have fun.

Sting32 screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 02:45 PM
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
See if you can get hold of the instructional book by Bernie Schrieber and Len Weed..........."Observed Trials". It dates back to the 1980s, but explains very clearly the basic techniques you will need to master before going on to the very much more advanced stuff you are likely to see in present day videos and DVD's.
I have the book and have read it several times. I have a pretty solid understanding (IMO) of what I should be doing. It's that whole "actually doing it" thing that's tricky.

But anyway, the original point of the thread was to remind folks to be patient and ride it out when you screw up. You might be surprised to find that you can still get through without taking points.