Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I considered that, but I don't think it would work as well as fitting the 1800 injectors to the 1500 manifold. I'm not entirely sure that it would work at all, actually. The 1800 has the injectors mounted basically at the ends of the runners, and the GL1800 heads have clearance in the intake ports to allow the injectors to spray into the port. The 1500 does not have this clearance, just a round port. You can see the problem in this picture I pulled off Google:

That's an 1800 manifold with a 1500 gasket laid over it. You can see, at the top of the gasket, the 1800 injector port. This would be more or less completely blocked when bolted to a 1500 head, meaning that the injectors would not be spraying fuel into the intake stream.

The 1500 intake ports could possibly be opened up to allow the injectors to spray into the port, but that is a bit outside the scope of my abilities, and potentially much more expensive than just adding injectors to the 1500 manifolds. Also, I'm not sure they'd even bolt on. It looks like the bolt pattern is different.
So are you able to lift the the manifolds up 3/4-1 inch if so why not fit the 1800 manifolds with a piece of aluminium between them 3/4" thick with countersunk srcews in to the 1500 heads and machined reliefs for the injectors and tapped holes for the 1800 manifolds I see from the picture that the intake porting is the same spacing. Then if the 1800 manifold has bigger porting you can tapper the holes back to the 1500 head port size to make the inlet tracks smooth.
Just a thought.

WR
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #32
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,483
Diving into the EFI part of the project is going to have to wait a while until the funds are there. I'm a law grad waiting on bar results - otherwise known as broke and unemployed. But I do have a small stock of random bits and parts, and I have a lot of free time.

I put a headlight on and set an old Kawasaki tank I had left over from a previous project on the bike:

The tank is going to need some cutting to fit, but it's rusted out and pinholed on the bottom, so it's not like I have anything to lose cutting it up. I had planned on building a fiberglass tank, but I effin' hate working with fiberglass, so if the steel tank will work, all the better.

Then I cleaned up the fuel pump hanger and fuel lever sender. The pump hanger was pretty crusty to start:

I knocked off the loose stuff with a wire brush and then put a couple applications of naval jelly on. They cleaned up pretty well:

I will be replacing the original fuel pump with a high-pressure pump. I may need to change the fittings since they're just standard clamp-on flare fittings that might not be up to the task of sealing high-pressure fuel. We'll see, I guess. Gonna have to stock up a couple more fire extinguishers once it comes time to test the fuel system!
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Rider View Post
So are you able to lift the the manifolds up 3/4-1 inch if so why not fit the 1800 manifolds with a piece of aluminium between them 3/4" thick with countersunk srcews in to the 1500 heads and machined reliefs for the injectors and tapped holes for the 1800 manifolds I see from the picture that the intake porting is the same spacing. Then if the 1800 manifold has bigger porting you can tapper the holes back to the 1500 head port size to make the inlet tracks smooth.
Just a thought.

WR
That's not a bad idea. I'll have to do some checking to see if the 1800 manifold is the same width. That gives me another idea, too - It might also be possible to just put the 1800 heads on the 1500 block, if that's the case then I'd be able to just bolt the 1800 manifold, injectors, and throttle bodies right on.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

A little work with a cut-off wheel and the tank shell is freed from the bottom:

It sits a little better on the frame now:

Still needs some trimming. As it is now, the tank sits inside the frame. I'm thinking about cutting out the middle section of the tank and welding in a strip of steel to widen it so that it sits outside of the frame and covers a bit more up.

Also, the stock radiator fans are going to have to go. I mocked up the intake manifold and with the fan in place, there's not enough room for the injectors/fuel rail. Anyone know a good cheap source for surface-mounted rad fans? I'll be trolling eBay, of course, but if someone knows off-hand where to find a slim fan about 3-4" diameter, I'm all ears.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #35
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

I figured I'd let ideas of what to do with the tank shell percolate for a while; it's not a critical part of the project anyway. I'm turning my attention to stripping down the factory wiring harness:

This thing is monstrous. It must weigh at least 10 pounds by itself, and there are more circuits, fuses, and relays on this than there are in my car. It's going to take a while and a lot of studying of the wiring diagrams to figure out what is what and clip the unneeded stuff. Although I do have to decide if I want to keep any of the GW niceties like the onboard air compressor or reverse "gear" mechanism.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #36
PathLessTraveled
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
This Reminds Me Of This

This -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
There's also a "dirt" conversion of the GL1500 out there:

Reminds me of this-

Your bike is going to be too cool.
PathLessTraveled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #37
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,425
You could try finding a Valkyrie tank, too.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #38
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I've seen lots of the air cooled guys who add oil coolers and fans use computer case fans or processor fans with good luck.

They run on 12v dc and have sealed motors....and usually are cheap as dirt $15 or less for a 6" or less brand new from places like newegg or tigerdirect.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #39
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathLessTraveled View Post
This -

Reminds me of this-

Your bike is going to be too cool.
And that reminds me of this!
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #40
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
I've seen lots of the air cooled guys who add oil coolers and fans use computer case fans or processor fans with good luck.

They run on 12v dc and have sealed motors....and usually are cheap as dirt $15 or less for a 6" or less brand new from places like newegg or tigerdirect.

I was thinking the same thing. A computer fan is cheap and in that 3-4" range.

BTW if you want anything TIG welded feel free to shoot me a PM.
Over the winters I generally have lot's of free time and like to help out. If you are willing to ship parts I can do some welding free of charge.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #41
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Been a while since I updated this thread, but then it's also been a while since I accomplished all that much. I'm currently smack in the middle of re-wiring the bike, so there aren't any pictures since, well, this type of stuff is really boring and tedious to me. But I'm getting close to having the "chassis" harness done, it'll cover the basics like lights, horn, turn signals, etc. Later, I'll make a separate engine harness for the MS setup.

Next step is to start building the intake manifold. I've decided that it will be easier for me to just bite the bullet and build a manifold as opposed to modifying the stockers for two reasons: finding throttle bodies that will fit where the original carbs were is proving to be difficult because of the oddly small diameter of the stock carbs, and that building a single-plane manifold with one throttle body will simplify tuning later on. I also won't have to fab a throttle linkage to connect multiple throttle bodies together, which honestly is more intimidating to me than fabricating an intake manifold. I have a decent idea of the basic design, but it'll take a couple beer design sessions with a couple engineer buddies to hammer out details like runner length/diameter and plenum volume.

Anyway, the project still grinds on. Once I get through the wiring, things should pick up a bit.