User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Cunning Linguist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
The joy of broken ribs

Was Headed to my friend Duke's house and took a back road. There are there are 5 20mph 90 degree corners from the highway to his house along this road. We had traded bikes so he could try out the K60 rear I had mounted. Both bikes are set up more or less identically. The only major difference is his is around stock height and mine has been raised a little. When I got to the 1st corner, he was almost to the 2nd corner. I took the corner at about 40, which is not uncommon for me to do on mine. It turns out this was too fast. As I took the corner, I scraped the pegs, and wrongly responded by bringing the bike up too soon. I had made the corner, but bringing the bike up got me off my line and over onto the soft shoulder.

I was pulled into the ditch where I went down one side up the middle a bit and then the bike stopped on the opposite side of the ditch. I was thrown off the high side back to the road side of the ditch. I sat up in a dust cloud with the bike on its handlebars over my feet, but not pinning me. I tried several times to take a breath but couldn't and passed out. I was brought to with duke in my visor telling me to wake up. A quick assessment and I didn't feel too bad but was having a hard time taking a deep breath. I was able to stand up and walked to the road.

As I walked I had pain in by back to the left side of my spine and could feel ribs grinding together. Another motorist stopped and called 911 and gave us some water. As I sat there I began to have muscle spasms over the broken ribs and could only get "comfortable" lying on my back. About that time my wife rolled in (duke called her) mad as a honey badger. She was tasked with taking some photos to keep from finishing me off with a large rock...

Here I am lying on the other side of the road with Duke posing like he's on safari... One hippo bagged.

EMT's, FD, & Deputies... The collar barely fit and I'm strapped down tight. at least they didn't cut my jacket. Remember fellas, lift with your knees not your back!

The yellow paint is where I exited road stage right... you can see the bike in the ditch as they're flipping it on to the wheels where I should have kept it in the first place. Don't follow that "yellow brick road!"

Here's the bike upright. Sheared off the windshield, destroyed the little metal dash with the 12v sockets. I also bent the left engine guard out which pulled the left one in and punctured the oil filter. there is a minimal dent on the right side from my knee. This is the only damage we've found yet. Bike won't start, though it sat upside-down for a half hour or so.

I had been wearing all of my gear and had no visible injuries. I later found a bruise on my left elbow and figure that I impacted there first, then the elbow and armor are what I landed on to break my ribs.

The trip to the ER was excruciating. Every bump strapped to a board made me pee a little bit. The EMT couldn't get an IV started after the first attempt was jabbed into my arm, so no pain meds. At the ER several coworkers and friends were waiting and I went through the usual x-rays, prodding and cat scans. Each medical person that entered the room asked the same questions over and over. An IV was finally started and then the good stuff was administered. It was determined that I had lacerated my spleen and had broken 7 ribs (10 fractures total between front and back). I was admitted to the ICU on account of the spleen. I was given an epidural in hope to block the pain from all the ribs, but it couldn't be put high enough so I ended up on that and some oral narcotics.

Stoned out of my gourd enjoying the grub. I mostly didn't eat for the entire 8 days, good thing I had some reserves.

As I laid there, further x-rays showed fluid building up on the left side of my chest, a chest tube was then inserted below my shoulder blade. It immediately drained off a liter of fluid, and a total of 2 over the next 4 days. I lost all sense of humility in no time while I was there between the gown, the x-rays, sponge bath's and catheter.

Chest tube.

All said, I was there for a total of 8 days. 5 of which in ICU. The worst part of the whole ordeal was the Dr. removing the chest tube like he was starting a rusted lawn mower. Out of the $30k or so this has cost so far, a good $500 of that went to a swear jar when that tube was yanked out. It felt like my heart and lungs were attached to the end of an RV s#!tter hose and torn out.

Since then (This happened May 5th) I've been getting better every day. I was back to work on light duty by the 3rd. Was on Oxycontin up until this last Thursday (the 6th). By that evening I started withdrawals. It was a miserable experience for the past couple days. I felt like I'd eaten a half dozen gas station burritos and washed it all down with a case of Redbull.
Doc says I should be back to full duty by July 1st.

I definitely learned and reinforced some lesson's the hard way. Just because two bikes are "identical" they handle different. There was no need to try and keep up, I should have just enjoyed the ride. I was going too fast and then didn't stay leaned when I should have. Final lesson is that if you're gonna do this, make sure it's while you're on a friends bike (Thanks Duke!)
Cunning Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Feo y Gordo
Now What?

Oddometer: 4,836
Here's my broken rib advice-

Don't watch any comedies for a few weeks.

Tell your funny friends you'll catch up on their jokes later.

Heal well.
Feo y Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Cunning Linguist OP
Adventurer

Oh, and this...

Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Here's my advice - don't cough.

FJR Pilot, CBR 954RR Boy Racer, WR250R Adventurer
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Are you related to Michael Douglas ?
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,835
Damn, the "shoulder" of that road leaves very little margin for error!

Heal up.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Maybe it would also help motorist if they painted fog lines on some of the turns.
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
GrouchyGeezer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
They all do that, I think.

Nice job on the ribs. Very impressive.

This has happened to me both times I broke some ribs. You'll be sore for a while. Things will heal slowly as is their nature. About 2 -3 months after the incident, you'll be feeling pretty good. All is right with the world -- you've healed. You will make a pretty normal movement and it will feel like someone just stuck a knife in the very place you had the broken ribs. The pain will be very sharp and will take a day to taper off. Then it's gone! Gone for good.

I don't know if it's an adhesion or everything just settling back where it belongs. But it's quite a surprise when it happens.

Remember: That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

Sorry if I told you something that may make you apprehensive. But hey, that's what alcohol is for; dealing with such things.

Cheers.
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,865
Broken ribs 3 different times.
It ain't fun, but at least once they're healed, it's like nothing ever happened. Quite unlike the wrist I broke last December 9, which only hurts like a mother-fucker when I move it, other then that it's just fine.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,924
stay away form pepper! It will hurt like a ***** to sneeze.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,640
or sneeze
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,679
I have only cracked ribs, and that was enough for me.

Next ski season they hurt a tiny bit.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
That ditch looks rideable.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
Cunning Linguist OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Oh I'm sure it was rideable :) The problem was my over-reacting state of mind. 40ish and my head up my ass did not allow me to properly negotiate the luge run I could have had.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
F16Viper68
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post