Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
F16Viper68
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Oddometer: 832
Glad to see you're alive and healing up. As for your description of pulling out the chest tube...I remember having the same thoughts when the nurse pulled out my one and only catheter I've ever had in my life. Holy shit I saw stars.

Dave...
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
Ouch, and on someone else's bike!

Ribs suck, do not get a cold, but they do heal up without problems, at least they did for me, no issues at all with the ribs.
The other bones I broke do hurt, but not the ribs.

I do not know what is up with the spleen thing, why are they always getting torn?
Do they just make that up to keep you in for a while, or is it really a wimpy thing?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Ouch! I did 5 of mine in one shot back in 2007.

Yup, 2-3 weeks of real agony. Another 5-6 weeks of discomfort and then you'll be back to normal. Only lasting thing I have is from a T-something vertebrae compression from that crash that did some damage to the surface nerves of my upper legs. Other than a dull/numb sensation, I'm no worse for the wear.

You got the full-on treatment! I got some morphine in the ambulance and a load of percocet to take home. I spent about two hours in hospital the day of the crash. Had a sandwich and some apple juice and they sent me home. The follow-up a week later I spent about 12 hours bouncing around from observation to radiology. That sucked! Thank baby Jesus for pain meds.

Enjoy the R&R!

frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
That ditch looks rideable.

I had the exact same thought.

When I saw this a day or so ago, I thought "Jesus, that would be fun to ride with about 8" of water in it".

All a matter of perspective, I suppose.

Heal quick!

Rob
Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,145
Glad to hear you're OK for the most part...the rib's will heal in time as there is good blood flow to them. And the pain will subside gradually, or rather exponentialy- your pain now is the worst, and it will go down once you've reached the "apex". The apex is when you have hit the wall, and gone through it. The apex varies from person to person, so I can't tell when your's will be.

Prayers for a fast recovery!

Edit- I know it suck's hard to breathe a deep breath, but depending on the doc's recomendation's, it helps the scar tissue heal faster and better.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.

Tha Rick screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 10:53 PM
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #21
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
I don't know what you are talking about....healing in a couple of months, with no pain after that?

Hell, when I cracked (possibly broke, never went to the doc for pics) mine it took well over a year for them to heal pain free. Yeah, for normal things like turning, coughing, laughing, etc. there was no problem after a few months......but try coaching wrestling! Holy S**t! The first time I had one of the kids do a move and land on my chest I thought I was going to pass out..LOL (now). Wasn't until near the end of the season that I could just forget them and move normally. Not sure they ever healed properly as they still ache from time to time....and it's been 3 years.....but that could just be my age...

And no, I don't feel like a fool for coaching wrestling at my age (late 50's).....the head coach just retired before last season, when he turned EIGHTY YEARS OLD!
(his wife made him...LOL)

Anyways....hope YOU heal up quickly and fully, it sure sounds like you have had it much much rougher than I ever did!
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #22
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Broke 5 ribs and my clavicle on the right side in a bicycle accident. Getting out of and, especially, into bed was excruciatingly painful for a week or so. I told my wife to ignore my agonal utterings as I attempted to lie down. A year and 3 months later I never notice the ribs, but the clavical is still an issue--has plate and screws that need to come out. The absolute worst part of the ordeal was having to sleep on my back for >2 months. The first time I could sleep on my stomach and left side was most gratifying, then slowly came being able to sleep on the right side.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Fuck, cracked ribs? A couple of shots of JD and slam the fingers in the car door and no more rib pain!!!! Fuck, Rambo-up man!

Seriously, I did a Vet Expert mountain bike race 12 weeks after breaking 5 ribs, one of them right near the vertebra - the thick part of the rib - with nerve damage and lung adhesions. I was slow, but I finished.

Hardest part was flying cross country about 10 days after the rib-breaking accident. But being messed up on percocet, having a few beers and digging into the steampot at Joe's Crab Shack made the pain more tolerable. Mind you, the chick sitting next to me in the back row of economy had broken her femur in three places in a dirt bike accident. She looked pretty fucked up in her ambulatory rig, I was merely uncomfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
I don't know what you are talking about....healing in a couple of months, with no pain after that?

Hell, when I cracked (possibly broke, never went to the doc for pics) mine it took well over a year for them to heal pain free. !

frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
MTDuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Update on Cunninglinguist

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896500