User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 221
Motoflyfishing

I've decided to teach myself to fly fish. My wife is away for work for the next 3 months, which leaves me a great deal of free time, so I figure what better time to learn. So far the only practice I've had is casting in the yard.

Today the weather was nice, so I threw the rod and some flies in a backpack and I was on my way.

First stop Duncan Creek in Chippewa Falls

Couldn't find any fish at the first stop. Bummer.

I did find this cool bridge while looking for spots though

View from the top

Next stop is the Rod and Gun Club park in Eau Claire. I was told the ponds here are stocked with rainbows.

Forgot to get a picture of the pond, as I was too busy trying not to look like a fool flailing my line around. Missed a few fish, and finally caught this guy

Woohoo first trout ever on a fly rod. Put up an excellent fight too.

Missed one more then called it a day. Got to get better at not leaving so much slack out. Oh well, I'm pleased with my first time out.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Looks Cool...

Nice work taking the plunge into fly fishing. I need to get back into some fishing on the North Shore streams. Pretty different from my past fishing, but a 30 minute ride up the shore gets you to several nice streams. Good luck !

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 377
Awesome job! Good looking fish also. My dad fly fishes in Pa and he loves it!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Just in case your wife reads this you might want to throw in a sentence or two of how much you miss here while you are out riding the bike and fly fishing. Just saying! Nice bike and fish.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
wolfmoritz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great Combination

Hey, that's one of my favorite ways to get out and fly fish. I figure if I don't catch anything (more often than not the case), at least I had a great ride. Plus, I get to poke around and explore the little fishing holes along the backroads of the McKenzie here in Oregon.

wolfmoritz screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 08:06 PM
wolfmoritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,922
Great stuff!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 607
Very cool !

I take the easy route in comparison, a collapsable casting pole with live leafworms in a little styrofoam worm box in my saddlebags at all times.

Never know when ya might stumble upon a small lake full of hungry guy's ?

Beware if you head about 75 mile NE......they get kinda big and toothy out that-a-ways !

Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Great Thread Name

I love the title / name for these two great past times. Haven't MotoFlyFished yet, but I hope to this year. Are you going to be keep this post current with your progress? And, does anyone know if there are any threads out there on this topic?

Thanks
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
What are some of the better streams/rivers close to Grand Marais,MN? I have had decent luck on the Brule River right by Nanibijou Lodge. Any others you would share. Will be in that area all of July & August.

My past fly-fishing has been in Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and the best place of all I have been to is Alaska, that place will spoil you. Really need to put my 5 piece on the GS and fish some, keep saying I will do that here in TX and things seem to come up. There are some beautiful rivers in the TX Hill Country for those not familiar with TX, great in winter.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 607
I hope he keeps updating also. Maybe we should get some sorta Motofishing thread going somewhere ?

Im to impatient to go the flyfishing route, having done that many years ago, but with the big variety of collapsible casting poles and compact reels out there now, a guy can put together a fishing rig with bait that hardly takes up half the room of a medium fanny pack, as long as your staying with smaller fish.

It is quite a hoot to stop at some outta the way little lake to take a break and cast a while, only to find yourself all worn out after a 102 fish catch and release session that lasted for 2 hours.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
doorman OP
Aimless

Cool to see some other folks with the same two interests. I think riding and fishing are a perfect fit. I will keep this updated as I get out more. If anyone wants to chime in with tips or tricks, or share their own pictures feel free.

It's been raining pretty much all day here in Eau Claire, but I managed to get out for about an hour.

Here is the pond I tried today

Pretty scummy

I recently bought some cheap frogg togg rain gear and so far have been loving it. It poured pretty good on the way to the pond, but I stayed dry.

Got set up and on the second cast I missed a strike. Dang. Missed two more and moved to the other side of the pond.

Hooked this guy right away

Then for the life of me I couldn't get the fly to float anymore. I switched to a few different flies, but the fish just weren't showing near the interest as they were in the fist fly. Missed one more and then decided to leave.

Anyone have any tips for keeping the flies afloat? After maybe 10 casts they get so soaked they won't stay up. I was told chapstick works, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Had a good time nevertheless.

Hopefully I will be able to take some trips to the Driftless area soon and try some of the streams there. I still think I need a lot of practice though.

Motoflyfishing
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
Tebpac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Two great past times! Thought about doing the same but I'm usually with other riders. I'm fortunate to have places close by to fish. I am thinking of getting a rod that breaks down into 4 sections so it will be easier to pack. Keep posting!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
doorman OP
Aimless

The rod I'm using is a 9' redington that breaks into 4 pieces, and has a real nice case. Perfect for carrying on the bike.

Motoflyfishing
Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Cool to see some other folks with the same two interests. I think riding and fishing are a perfect fit. I will keep this updated as I get out more. If anyone wants to chime in with tips or tricks, or share their own pictures feel free.

It's been raining pretty much all day here in Eau Claire, but I managed to get out for about an hour.

Here is the pond I tried today

Pretty scummy

I recently bought some cheap frogg togg rain gear and so far have been loving it. It poured pretty good on the way to the pond, but I stayed dry.

Got set up and on the second cast I missed a strike. Dang. Missed two more and moved to the other side of the pond.

Hooked this guy right away

Then for the life of me I couldn't get the fly to float anymore. I switched to a few different flies, but the fish just weren't showing near the interest as they were in the fist fly. Missed one more and then decided to leave.

Anyone have any tips for keeping the flies afloat? After maybe 10 casts they get so soaked they won't stay up. I was told chapstick works, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Had a good time nevertheless.

Hopefully I will be able to take some trips to the Driftless area soon and try some of the streams there. I still think I need a lot of practice though.

When the fly gets soggy stop and do several false casts.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Any fly shop will have fly floatant. When you apply it, run your fingers up the tippet a foot or so to ensure that your tippet isn't pulling your fly under the surface. Thanks for the pics, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote