User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #31
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Beautiful scenery, beautiful fish.

Don't do much fishing anymore, but maybe will start again now that I'm retired. These photos bring back a lot of memories...
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 224
Got out today to try a new spot. The weatherman was forecasting thunderstorms for today, but I just didn't feel like sitting around the house.

I originally planned to go to a park in eau claire, but when I arrived there was a wedding taking place. Bummer. So I hopped on the bike and headed south with no real destination in mind. After getting pretty lost, and nearly running out of fuel, I pulled into Eleva and decided to try my luck at the stream/pond in town.

The first spot I tried

First cast I caught a sunfish. Second cast I caught a sunfish, and so on until I couldn't take it anymore. Evidently the sunfish here are fond of the prince nymph

I even caught two at a time on one cast

So, tired of sunfish, I moved from the pond to the stream below the dam

I fished here for probably half an hour and all I could manage to catch was a bunch of these little guys

Then, as the weatherman promised, it began to rain heavily so I called it a day.

Oh well, better luck next time. The good news is my casting is really starting to improve.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #33
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Looks like fun, I alway wanted to ride my XR650l into the back country and do some fishing.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #34
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
All this talk and pics of catchin' fish. You all ever eat the damned things? Ain't much better eatin' than a couple of pouchers seared in some butta.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #35
doorman OP
Aimless

I do eat them. Not often though, my wife doesn't like fish. I gotta ask, what is a poucher?

Motoflyfishing
Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #36
doorman OP
Aimless

I spent some time on the internet last night searching for new streams to try. I found some information on the Buffalo River in Osseo, and decided to try it in the morning.

The bike ready to go. I ditched the backpack today and just strapped the rod to the bike.

It was a real foggy ride, but I managed a few good shots. The top of this hill was the only part of the ride not immersed in fog.

I got to Osseo and was pretty disappointed with what I found. The Buffalo "River" is little more than a creek, and it was so grown over with weeds that I could barely see the water.

So I turned around and headed right back to Eau Claire. In my research I had seen another spot that looked promising just outside of town.

Elk Creek

Now we're talkin

Casted around a little with a prince nymph about 12" under a strike indicator, and caught this guy

My first trout on moving water

Caught it in the far left of this picture, in the middle of the stream

Hooked one more shortly after, but lost it.

Just a little way upstream is this dam

I tried fishing the area below the dam some, but had no luck.

Only one fish today, but I had a great time.

Motoflyfishing
Old 06-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Mo Fish Stories

Doorman - keep casting! I like your tenacity.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I thought I would share a fellow ADVer's experience in Motoflyfishing:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=874968&page=2

So, this brings me to a question about this thread you started. Are you wanting this to be focused more towards you combining moto and flyfishing? Or, are you wanting more input and experiences from others in this great concept? I am cool either way, but want to be respectful of your intent for this thread.

If it's the latter (ie you want other's experiences, pics, tips, etc...), then you might want to tweak the verbiage on the initial post.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Creeker747 screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 03:29 PM
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #38
doorman OP
Aimless

I really didn't have a goal in mind for the thread. Just thought I would use it as a place to share my experiences fly fishing off a motorcycle. People can feel free to add whatever they like.

Motoflyfishing
Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #39
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 576
Instead of a strike indicator I like to use a grass hopper or a foam ant. That way it is also another hook in the water. Several times I have had trout hit an indicator instead of the fly. Google hopper dropper.

I had my own personal stocker fest this evening at a local pit. I forgot how much fun rainbows are. I was using a hopper dropper with a #18 pheasant tail on a 30" dropper. Also tried a bead head prince but nobody seemed to like it.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
doorman OP
Aimless

I started out using a large dry fly as my indicator, but it just wouldn't stay up long in the current. I'll have to look into some foam flies for situations like this. Thanks

Motoflyfishing
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #41
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
I started out using a large dry fly as my indicator, but it just wouldn't stay up long in the current. I'll have to look into some foam flies for situations like this. Thanks
What works for me is before I ever get it wet, really soak it in floatant. Every 3rd or 4th cast Ill false cast a few times to air dry it a little too.

Isnt perfect but I found that it helps keep it afloat a lot better, even in some fairly fast water.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #42
Domromer
Desert Rat

Do you ever fish hardware for trout? I love ripping a 1/32 rooster tail across a likely spot and watching the trout tear after them.

I tried fly fishing and never really got into it. Although catching bass on wooly buggers was almost too easy in my backyard pond. Those little suckers just couldn't resist them.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #43
randysway
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I did not know that they had such things like foldable rods!! Very cool. Why is it when I go fishing though, I never hve any luck... but you guys say on the first or second cast you guys are hooking good fish?!
randysway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #44
Domromer
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by randysway View Post
I did not know that they had such things like foldable rods!! Very cool. Why is it when I go fishing though, I never hve any luck... but you guys say on the first or second cast you guys are hooking good fish?!
That's the rare perfect day.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #45
Wyo-Obie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Seeing all those rainbow trout .... hmmm might be time for the KLR to visit a few of the beaver ponds around here on my weekend ....