Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
21 days 7600mi, camped, 85lbs + 1gl of gas, took a bit too much crap, but used most of the stuff, I'll trim it down next time.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,811
I could say 75-80 lbs but it is not the true number. You need to add the weight of the luggage (and rack), the tank bag, the handlebar ditty bag, the tool tube, the extra duffel, etc.

Mine comes to about 125 lbs for extended trips. Full camping and cooking gear plus cold weather gear.

My luggage was 26 lbs each, 24 on top box.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
We were done with the camping portion of our trip, so I Fed-Ex'd my tent and other camping stuff home...
Just under 25lbs for that stuff alone.
CTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
Motopapillon
Eppur si muove

Oddometer: 306
I weighed my gear before a two-month trip some years back: I had about 70 lbs in a big Moto Fizz and two panniers, and didn't bother adding in the couple of pounds of clutter in the tank bag. It was more than I thought it would be, but less than I was afraid it could be, and in the event virtually disapppeared at speed. When picking my way through rough stuff, or manoevring in parking lots, I was more deliberately mindful than I sometimes am.

I haven't weighed my gear since. I don't want to know, and I don't think I need to know, and the number depends on so many variables. The number swells when I have to pack three days' food and water, and shrinks when I reach summertime and can send the cold weather gear home. ( But never send back the last pair of thermal underwear!) So shooting for a specific weight is arbitrary.

I think also that volume counts for at least as much as pounds: too much sail can make the bike hard to control. And where the pounds go matters: the heavy stuff should get stowed low and between the axles

The last few trips I just throw on what I think I'll need, rope it on securely, and roll down the driveway. Seems to work as well as overthinking it.
Motopapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #20
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I admit I always carry too much stuff with me on a bike...

And sorry if this doesnt stay fully on topic... but Ive got a friend, an old Finnish guy, who has done an incredible amount of mc-travel, all around the world (made a RTW-tour in the Seventies) but especially in Asia and Australia in the last 40 years. I did a few rides with him in Asia, as he was our tour guide in 2005-2007, and I saw how hes really made an art of “packing light”. A big thumper, like a DR650, is his choice of bike, and a very very small backpack, not much bigger than a laptop bag, strapped to the back seat is really everything, that he has with him (plus the stuff that he is wearing). He wears clogs, for example, as his riding shoes AND his leisure shoes, so one pair of clogs is all that hes got while travelling... (a warm climate does help here, if he went riding in Europe, I think he would have to get something more suitable for that!)

He told a funny story, how in the end of 80s, or early 90s, he once met a German biker in southern Thailand. At that time, it was so rare to see any big bikes there, that when they came across each other on the road, they stopped for a chat. The German had freighted his bike to Bangkok just a couple of days ago, and was now riding around Thailand, and he had every imaginable bit of luggage and riding gear, he was even carrying extra cans of fuel “because he was not sure, if its always available in Thailand”... and the guy was clearly in discomfort wearing too thick gear for the hot and humid climate.

So after a while, the German had asked my friend, where is he coming from, and seeing that my friend wore a t-shirt, shorts, clogs and motocross helmet, he clearly assumed, that my friend is probably on his way to a local foodstore or something. But he was actually returning from a 15000-kilometer trip to Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia, that had taken several months. He said the German guy was really having an extremely tough time to believe it...

(of course this is an extreme example, clogs are not perfect for riding unless you are this guy, and hes paid the price of not wearing ATGATT a few times as well, as hes had some pretty bad crashes sometimes.. but my point is: think very hard, what you REALLY need to have with you, and leave the rest home – also do not pack on the last minute before you set off, because then you will have unnecessary stuff with you!)
Definitely an extreme example... and one that isn't possible for many of us, just given weather constraints. Plus, given that his pack was the size of a small laptop case, I can only assume that he's hoteling it. You simply can't compare packing a bike for hoteling with camping. Over half of what I pack is camping gear. If I were hoteling it each night, my pack would be very small. Granted, I realize this thread isn't just about packing for a camping trip, just figured I'd comment on that.

There was a douchebag that posted a picture in the motorcycle camping picture thread a few months back. He said that most of us packed way too heavy and then showed a picture of his bike with only a tiny tail bag on the back. As it turns out, he was on a short trip where he was only hoteling it.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 182
Well I have weighted my gear before a week long ride around a country.

Here are the results, I weighted the gear when it was packed in the panniers, tank bag and duffel so the weight of the bags them selves is included:
Panniers=10,8kg = 23,8 pounds
Tank bag=2,7kg = 6 pounds
Duffel bag=3,5kg = 7,7 pounds
Total=17kg = 37,5 pounds

Sometimes I also carry a 3kg (6,6 pounds) on me(camelback, chocolate bars...).

I think I travel quite lightly, what do you think?
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
Franck B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
6kg for 12 days 2000km offroad autonomous itinerance

hot weather
5kg: backpack with camel bag and personal gear
1kg spare parts
up to 3 liters water
all stuff on board for navigation, com, ride report included

i still think i had a few useless items, did not miss anything.
Franck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
With a couple of days food,tools camping gear, clothes, pack boxes and extra fuel 52 lbs 8k miles
Old 11-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #24
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,376
I weighed my gear a few seasons ago after returning from a long weekend of camping s up with my wife. I believe I was in the 75lb range total. Not bad for 2 of us.

Traveling solo I am sure I can travel much lighter but often times do not worry. I tend to go with the theory that I pack what I "need" and if there is still room I bring some things I "want".

I guess a lot has to do with what size bike you are riding, what type of luggage set up you have and what type of riding you plan to do. If I am planning more off road type terrain then I pack lighter, if it is mainly a road/gravel road trip then I worry less about weight.

In my opinion the length of the trip has little to do with what you carry, I carry the same gear for a 3 day trip as I would for anything longer.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
WAH III
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Side cases and top case average about 17 lbs. each including the cases. Duffel with camping gear, 25 lbs. I wear about 20 lbs. worth of riding gear.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 287
ya and I wished I never did

and that is with my fat ass on the bike,
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #27
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
I never weigh my pack------------I've done this enough to know what I need and what I don't need for the way I travel----so it doesn't matter.

What I need ----------is going with me no matter what the scale would say.
I sure as hell ain't leaving my tool kit at home because of what a scale says.
Having said all that----the biggest mistake I ever made for keeping things lite was using hard bags------I am talking about offroad travel--not road riding.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post
Well I have weighted my gear before a week long ride around a country.

Here are the results, I weighted the gear when it was packed in the panniers, tank bag and duffel so the weight of the bags them selves is included:
Panniers=10,8kg = 23,8 pounds
Tank bag=2,7kg = 6 pounds
Duffel bag=3,5kg = 7,7 pounds
Total=17kg = 37,5 pounds

Sometimes I also carry a 3kg (6,6 pounds) on me(camelback, chocolate bars...).

I think I travel quite lightly, what do you think?
That is fairly light for summer time and very light for the cold weather. Did you add in the mounting hardware for your panniers?

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,515
I always weight them to balance the load.
I utilize a scale for fishing
each stuffed pelican pannier = 10 kg
top case = 11 kg
total luggage 31 kg = 68 #
Rider = 80kg = 176 #

the KLR is happy with the load.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
That is fairly light for summer time and very light for the cold weather. Did you add in the mounting hardware for your panniers?
Well I try to only camp in warm weather, the lowest temperature with this camping set-up was 10 degrees Celsius, but I wouldn't want to camp in any lower temperatures.

My mounting hardware for the panniers is a simple 8mm stainless steel rod welded in a loop with one mounting point. I guess both sides together do go much over 2kg, i will try to weight them this week.

Here is how they look:

I use 1 cargo net and one 50cm bungee cord per side and 2 ROK straps for rear duffel bag. And with everything on the bike, handlebars are still the widest point on the bike. My bike is on the left.

MadM screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 02:29 PM Reason: Typo
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote