ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,188
Free Beer Game: Hey, Can you SPOT Me?

So while pre-running in the Mendocino National Forest for a ride, I had a little issue. Riding solo, long day and just exploring side roads and trails off of Twin Valley Road. I followed an ATV trail up a hill then down a ridge. It of course dead-ended. As I descended the last section, it felt steep. I remember thinking, "Can I ride back up this?" By then it was too late, I was committed. After many attempts to ride/push out over an hour and a half, I ended up with this:

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

I didn't feel I was in immediate danger. But my mother and father (who were watching my youngest son), were expecting me. Before this last side trail, I was on schedule to meet the agreed upon return time. If I had done that, my SPOT would have been just another 'OK' ride report. But not this time. Knowing that 'rescue' was hours away, I decided to hit the HELP button and start walking while I still had daylight and energy. I took all of my riding gear but body armor and starting walking up that fucking hill. One foot in front of the other. For a mile and a half back to Twin Valley Road. I kept hitting the HELP button so that those who were watching over their computers could see that I was moving. Long story short, my father arrived after I walked down Twin Valley Road for about two more miles. And no, he didn't have beer. Not that I wanted any. But this is where the free beer comes in.......

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

The Challenge....

Here's the game. Since my brother ended up riding out with me to assist with retrieving my bike (he "SPOTted me...get it?), I challenge YOU to ride your motorcycle out to that location and document YOU riding it out of there. If you can do it without being SPOTted like me, I'll buy you a six-pack of beer. Hell, I might even make it a twelver or maybe even some homebrew..

The rules. You have to ride your street registered/insured bike out there. No trailering a trials bike or fancy hill-climber. Ride to the bottom of the trail (don't worry, you'll know when you get there), it's not too far downhill from the coordinates in the picture. Turn around and ride up and out. Simple, eh? I suggest you bring a helper and maybe some retrieval gear, just in case. Take pictures and/or video to make it proof-positive that you got yourself out of there. Post them here, in this thread. If you do it, I'll man up and buy you beer (and most likely drink some with you).

Secondary challenge: If you find yourself in a situation like mine, can't get yourself out of where you got yourself, I dare you to fess up to it and challenge someone else like I have.

P.S. I was on my plated XR650R with a 1/3 full Acerbis tank and survival gear strapped to me and the bike. The hill is steep enough to allow the bike to roll backwards when in gear. Try kickstarting in that position by yourself....Oh and there's a little dog leg at the bottom preventing you from getting a really good runup.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,081
You can keep your beer, been there done that ain't going back.

DR200, almost dark, 6 volt headlight...wanted to look at one last trail then blast 12 miles home, came over the hill and it was shale on the south side of the hill, slid all the way to the bottom, dead end of course, made one attempt at getting out, no room for a run at it, just spun out. Looked around at where I was, checked the map, only about 1/2 mile straight down to a major road. Dragged the thing down a couple of cliffs...SPOT hadn't been invented... got to a major cliff, pushed the bike over first, held onto the grip until the back tire was about ten feet from the bottom and let her go, took a good bounce on the back tire and flopped over pointed down the hill, I could ride it from there. Wasn't the last time I did something like that on the little DR, I'm a slow learner.

A little warm to be out by yourself isn't it?
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

The "incident" happened 5/25, it was much cooler then. So much so I had my vents closed the first half of the day. We went back for the real ride last weekend. A couple of my friends went to the scene. They all came away thinking that it didn't seem too steep or difficult. None rode down to find out for sure.

Larryboy, your story reminds me of the time I took a "shortcut" off of Black Butte just outside of Hazen, NV. Got a flat tire on my trials bike at the top while geocaching. Took the easy way down the southwest slope to get back to the dirt road as opposed to dragging the bike over the thousands of cooler-sized rocks on the plateau to backtrack the way I came. Got ten feet down and started thinking, "This may not have been such a good idea..." I took a ride on top of a rock and gravel slide that was sure humbling...Just me and the bike surfing down a very steep hill with virtually no control. I'm still here?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Pin-it_Dad!!
Penny Locator

Oddometer: 52
I'm in. Superhunk, you out there? I'll need a photographer.
Pin-it_Dad!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

For full disclosure, certain Advriders have already seen the scene, so to speak. I may have to dock them some beer....

Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,506
Misery loves company, eh?

It must have been a fairly nasty hill to get the XR stuck. I have been in situations like that on my XL600R, and been completely surprised by its ability to climb out with me clinging to its back like a baby chimpanzee.

I think I will guard the retrieval gear at the top...

Note to self: When rescuing someone who has hit the "Help" button, always bring beer.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,591
So... probably not a GS-able trail?
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Ask Corndog67.....

Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,416
I'm curious if the height of the XR650R affected your ability to get up the steep hill.

I've been stuck at Carnegie before with a combination of less than optimal dirt tires and the bike being too high to keep the front end down when trying to get up a steep hill. It's pretty discouraging to make it 950 feet up a 1000 foot hill. Better tires would likely have kept me from sliding into the ruts and losing momentum.

I'm interested to see if any of the big talkers will take you up on this.

P.s. that GP-110 tire you gave me is working well on my XRL.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

I was using a half-worn, old and very hard D606. Probably with the pressure too high. And yet the bike almost looped on me twice when it dug down to the bedrock.

The funny thing is that the next week, I took my friends out in this area and rode Stonyford's Trail #4 up near Goat Mountain Lookout. The hill climb section we struggled through looked rougher and tougher than the hill where I got stuck. Yet I got the XR through with flying colors. Not even the 950SE with the Mefo Super Explorer struggled as much as I did by myself the week prior. Go figure.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,170
You should have spooned on a trials tire.

May I suggest the Pirelli MT-43's.

And don't forget to hump the tank.

Yes...I'm just being a smart-ass.

PS The last time I tried to find GPS coordinates with my old GPS Jeff and I ended up at a gay only pool party in the Rio Nido area.
We declined their invitation to stay.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 08:51 AM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,591
Gotta love those MT-43s...
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Gotta love those MT-43s...
I'm waiting till the rear 606 wears out.
Death Valley tore it up but it's not quite there.

My friends are running them on 450's and I'm really not sure how they'll do on the BRP.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote