User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
One Fat Roach OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
corners

So I recently upgraded from a 250 to a 650, first ever bike to my second. I love it. Lots of power in first gear (all around too of course) compared to what I had. So I've been brave, or stupid depending how you look at it, and have been taking corners (gravel only) rather aggressively. I'll adjust my speed properly before entry, but as I come out, I'll feather the clutch and with lots of gas try to slide my rear tire to one side exiting. I've only been riding three years, but this move has gotten a hold of me by the britches. I've been practicing the for about a week now and finally had my first lay down. I knew it would happen eventually and it went pretty much how i imagined. Low side skid for a few feet, no damage to bike or myself. And because of that, i lifted the pig back up with a smiled and rode the next 30seconds home.

Is this a bad idea to keep trying this maneuver? Do you execute it on corners? How often?
One Fat Roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,150
Practice makes perfect...Perfect practice on the other hand

http://youtu.be/A13hMU23Res

Embeddy no worky...click the link.

Pressure on the outside peg, a bit of countersteer, a bit of throttle(with clutch to control overdrift)

Be safe! sounds like you are, but wear ATGATT.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.

Tha Rick screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 11:54 PM
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
You'll learn about traction and whatnot, but you are going to crash pretty hard one of these days. But how else are you going to learn. If you did this on a dirt bike, you wouldn't scuff your new 650 up.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
What's the bike? Try practicing on wet grass with plenty of room till you get better. Nothing more fun than a half bald knobby on wet grass. You'll learn more control learning to flat-track than almost anything else. Try doing donuts first till you're comfortable and then go to bigger , wider arcs. When you can go both directions doing 100 yard arcs you'll be better all around.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
Practice makes perfect...Perfect practice on the other hand

http://youtu.be/A13hMU23Res

Embeddy no worky...click the link.

Pressure on the outside peg, a bit of countersteer, a bit of throttle(with clutch to control overdrift)

Be safe! sounds like you are, but wear ATGATT.
That's awesome, I want to do that sometime.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
One Fat Roach OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
What's the bike? Try practicing on wet grass with plenty of room till you get better. Nothing more fun than a half bald knobby on wet grass. You'll learn more control learning to flat-track than almost anything else. Try doing donuts first till you're comfortable and then go to bigger , wider arcs. When you can go both directions doing 100 yard arcs you'll be better all around.
2004 KLR. Im starting small for sure just trying to get the movement/control down before I try bigger. Donuts are definitely on the to do list but I can't seem to get the right lean and gas combo. One of these days lol.

Ps I have no idea what ATGATT means. Or many of the other acronyms I see on here
One Fat Roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
So I recently upgraded from a 250 to a 650, first ever bike to my second. I love it. Lots of power in first gear (all around too of course) compared to what I had. So I've been brave, or stupid depending how you look at it, and have been taking corners (gravel only) rather aggressively. I'll adjust my speed properly before entry, but as I come out, I'll feather the clutch and with lots of gas try to slide my rear tire to one side exiting. I've only been riding three years, but this move has gotten a hold of me by the britches. I've been practicing the for about a week now and finally had my first lay down. I knew it would happen eventually and it went pretty much how i imagined. Low side skid for a few feet, no damage to bike or myself. And because of that, i lifted the pig back up with a smiled and rode the next 30seconds home.

Is this a bad idea to keep trying this maneuver? Do you execute it on corners? How often?
Using the clutch to induce a slide (pull in clutch, build RPM, and dump the clutch to cause the slide) can be very difficult and unpredictable. You can't really maintain a slide this way though since you only over power the rear tire for a moment until it starts gripping again. So you either end up low siding, or the slide wasn't all that spectacular. If you're just trying to have fun and don't care about wrecking then I don't see anything wrong with it though.

The long slide you see pro racers do is from a combination of being near the cornering limits of the tire and applying the right amount of throttle for the lean angle they're at. If you want to learn that, find a slick surface like wet grass. Then lean the bike into a corner and start rolling into the throttle nice and smooth until you start holding a slide. You can use the clutch a little bit to get things started but its mostly throttle control. Gravel can be sketchy with the front tire letting go but its a pretty good place for power sliding too.

There are many more ways to hurt yourself on a motorcycle but few are more fun.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,967
Sliding through rear around a corner is a valid technique for dirt/offroad riding. I'm not brave enough to try it on a 570lb sport touring bike

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Glad yer learn sum "real" riding techniques; this will help you tremendously in the long run. Lotta riders slab fer hundreds of thousands of miles, brag'in all the while, not know'in wut theyz do'in cuz slab'in ain't ride'in. If'n yer slide'in 'round in the dirt 'n mud, yer ride'in! (Un fortunately ya get no IBA brag'in rights. )

Try slide'in up close ta the tank; that'll weight the front, and help the rear pivot around it. Also, practice spin'in up the rear in a straight line ta get the feel'in where the traction level iz, then try spin'in it up come'in off the corners. The faster ya go, the mo stable the bike will be, but also stuff happens faster, and ya get hurt mor when ya bail.
Relax 'n let the bike do it's thang; feel the bike, become one with the bike grasshopper.

Quote:
2004 KLR. Im starting small for sure just trying to get the movement/control down before I try bigger. Donuts are definitely on the to do list but I can't seem to get the right lean and gas combo. One of these days lol.

Ps I have no idea what ATGATT means. Or many of the other acronyms I see on here
All the gear all the time. I recon theyz talk'in 'bout wear'in a bunch of gear fer protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Sliding through rear around a corner is a valid technique for dirt/offroad riding. I'm not brave enough to try it on a 570lb sport touring bike
No gutz, no glory.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
go here.

http://www.americansupercamp.com/

you will learn how to do it and have a good time
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
go here.

http://www.americansupercamp.com/

you will learn how to do it and have a good time
I just wouldn't stick my leg out sideways like the guy in the cover photo of that website. That's an excellent way to screw up your knee if your foot catches anything or you try to put weight on it to catch a fall.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Quote:
All The Gear All The Time: Means you should wear all the protective gear even for short, apparently safe trips.

Hope you are not trying this move on dry pavement and that your clutch will last.
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
ZoSo15
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
I just wouldn't stick my leg out sideways like the guy in the cover photo of that website. That's an excellent way to screw up your knee if your foot catches anything or you try to put weight on it to catch a fall.
Yeah...holy crap.

Our knees aren't meant to take forces in that direction. That's a knee surgery waiting to happen right there.
ZoSo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo15 View Post
Yeah...holy crap.

Our knees aren't meant to take forces in that direction. That's a knee surgery waiting to happen right there.
ya'll are new at this, aincha?

That foot is an outrigger......flat trackers.....hot shoe.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
Still learning to slide a bike, now at 55 years old. But I am picking it up on the dirt and with my ice bike. Great fun!!

Does help too on the street. Once when demo-riding a BMW R1200GS I had the rear tire break loose on a 90 degree turn from a county highway onto a town road. Because of my dirt/ice experience, I stayed in the lean and rolled into the gas, did my first ever pavement power slide.

Changed my shorts later. Heh, heh.