User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
rockydog OP
just a guy

Oddometer: 743
Missed turns and new friends

There's a reason I miss turns, hey, let's check out this road, and take a break by the water and boats. Missing turns comes naturally, little roads always intrigue more than cities and cause I live in OKiestan I'm dawn to harbors plus you get to meet folks cause it was kinda meant to happen.

And there's always another road/bike pic to grab

And the good fortune to take that break when someone pulls up as you are taking a pic

I got to meet Alexander and his 2 kids out for a fishing trip, his son is holding his hand up to premeasure the fish he's gonna catch.

Just as I'm leaving Alexander comes over and tells me that in school they did a musical and he had the lead. We both sang snippets of songs and I had radio Rocky tuned to Oklahoma! the rest of the day. Thanks, gang

There's a bright golden haze on the meadow, and the corn is as high as an elephants eye

rockydog screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 06:03 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
rockydog OP
just a guy

G8

Thanks for the heads up on G8, Dmcd, I'll give you a holler when I'm in the neighborhood.

Thanks for the kind comments, ya,ll
Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
dmcd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
No probs p.m. sent.
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
rockydog OP
just a guy

More good roads

Headed up to more coast Up north until I saw a sign for a marina near Ballycroy. Never made it but found an abandoned house to camp. Farmer in pink van stopped and I did my Howdy, Oklahoma, pitch a tent and he said good good the cattle are calm and they won't disturb you. They were on the other side of the fence and serenaded me for early mooning wake-up.

Had stopped at a butcher,s shop and had them slice some thick rashers plus got some garlic sausage. Using my 6" cast iron skillet, ultra non titanium.

Found a site specific sculpture near Blacksod just off 313, part of the Mayo Art Trail. Spent a couple of hours looking for the next one 'close' by. I did see a roadside Gaelic sign that translated to 'for a good time call Julie'. She didn't know where the art was, tho.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
So did you get to meet Julie then......................?
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #21
rockydog OP
just a guy

More Mint Julie's

The quest for art continues, sometimes tempered by common sense before tramping through fields

This is an artist's 1993 site specific work using stones from the hill.

I'm a fan of artists like Andy Goldsworthy who use existing materials to create. Used to help with installs at Stormking above West Point, NY. Best part was thrashing my Norton Commando up there with my girlfriend, for picnics, uh huh.

Working on more info about pieces scattered around north Mayo.

Who needs a crane?

Eyore, you know gentlemen don't tell

rockydog screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 07:17 AM
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
rockydog OP
just a guy

On to Sligo

Stopped in Ballina for some wifi, then headed back north to the back roads for an open gate and quiet spot. Often wonder how many quiet travelers pass unknown through our environs without our knowledge. Listened to a man and woman have a row, car doors slamming and roaring off, kids playing sports, weed eaters, laughter, bicylists right over the hedge, then called it a night

Watched these little yellow flowers open in the morning. Waited for the sun to dry the dew.

Up the coast towards Enniscrone I ran into this. Didn't read the little sign thing cause I didn't really want to know

In the harbor was a forgotten dream

And towards Easly I saw this, reminded me of my sweet mint Julie, time for a pub later maybe

Skaken, not stirred

Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #23
rockydog OP
just a guy

South of Sligo City

Staying at Maggie's house for a couple of days. She graciously welcomes fellow moto travelers into her home. Thank you Maggie!! Her bike is currently at Tiffany's house in Cornwall so instead of a bike tour, Maggie, her housemate, Ann, and I walked for a bit. The village we started from is behind us. Lots of folks on bicycles, walking and running. After having my butt planted on the bike seat for a bunch of days it felt wonderful.

A beautiful night overlooking the harbor

An inviting tree on the return

The day before we were out and about

Everybody seems to enjoy laughing with me when I hand them the camera, and they get great shots

I had been sent on a mission to deliver a birthday present to one of Maggie's friends a ways out in the countryside and she said the house was kind of hard to see from the road, right you are, I drove past this tiny red gate countless times before I asked a neighbor. the red Spot is the lower half of his front door

Had a cuppa with Dereck, English chap living in the country with dogs, cat, rabbits, goats, chickens, ducks and a never ending supple of sustainable living.

rockydog screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 03:09 AM
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #24
rockydog OP
just a guy

On the way to Clifden

Couple days or so ago I wanted to go early to a good sunrise spot outside Letterfrack for some pics. Woke up at 5:30 and went to the bike to get my coffee mug/maker and the door slammed shut behind me. Frack! Flip flops, long underwear, light jacket, no key and no coffee. Locked solid. So I cased the joint. Found a rear door to a stairwell then an inside door with a 'come on in lock'. Grabbed a shovel and popped the door, no harm no foul. I was talking to the owner, told him about the easy in door and he said for the past 11 years he had no lock and no trouble then the reviews online of hostels started with the security column. So he put the lock on. Headed up the hill with fresh coffee. The antenna on the hill is to the right of the road

And these little suckers wanted to race

Down the road I see this and think fold up bike and go

Anybody know what this is? Owner did a frame up restoration, good job. It's a 1954 something and the rear boot reminds me of a 51 Plymouth I had.

Eventually found the Sky road outside Clifden. This whole area is stunning, more so in the mist and rain

rockydog screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 03:16 AM
Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #25
rockydog OP
just a guy

Eagles Flying, Irish raptor research center * * * *

Just south of Sligo is a bird sanctuary for raptors, birds that hunt. I've never seen any of these critters close up or witnessed their majesty like yesterday. The presentation was stunning, with the birds literally beating their wings on my head as they flew from handler to handler. This is a post with bird pics, lotsa bird pics.

The owner with his look alike favorite bird he travels with for presentations

Vulture, 10 kilos with 3 meter wingspan

For the kill

Bogie 12 o'clock

In the stands

rockydog screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 08:22 AM
Old 06-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #26
rockydog OP
just a guy

Ain't working on Maggie's farm no more

Bid so long to Maggie's hospitality, nights of playing music, getting trounced at rummy and having an all around great time. Thanks ya'll. Kim had sent me a heads up about an event in Enniskellen, the Enniskillen 100. Vintage bikes doing laps on a race track at the local airfield.

Kim shows up in her demure raingear,

Which gets the same reaction to seeing her in a rear view mirror as these guys...Los Gardi

The bikes were stunning

A lot of the owners were there to ride, not just show the bikes

Dave Hailwood, son of Mike Hailwood

My favs, Nortons and Matchless and Triumph

rockydog screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 01:01 PM
Old 06-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #27
rockydog OP
just a guy

Rally cars

Some rally cars showed up ready to go

And a side car

Almost forgot Kitty

rockydog screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 11:08 PM
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Looks like a major fun outing. Great pics!

Cheers!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
dmcd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post

That's nice, used to go to Ian Waddells house after school (many years ago ahem), I believe he also has an immaculate RC30.
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
rockydog OP
just a guy

Beach Bar at Aughris

Mid afternoon Kim and her 2 mates took off on their fast bikes and left me to plod along to the Beach Bar west of Sligo. We all got some heavy rain and then caught a break to set up our tents in the field next to the pub.

A blustery night but we were toasty in the pub as I got schooled on Irish moto racing. We parted ways early next day, great day, ya'll, and I headed south to Kinsale to do some bike maintenance. And park some stuff I don't need to carry.

Martin was out about breaking equipment

Thinking of all the folks crammed into an office.

I returned to Divas in Ballinspittle for another great breakfast, buttermilk pancakes with hot maple syrup

rockydog screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 04:29 AM