User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #76
rockydog OP
just a guy

Oddometer: 810
Usa_cia_mobile-ops-unit-bravo-52

The day started out kinda bent. In Dungloe at the Butter something Cafe I checked for wifi service and the above, in title, appeared as a server name, when I entered the password bozos(seemed to fit)everything froze. Good scones here, named after a schooner that sunk carrying 187 barrels of butter. I wanted to do a screen save but the server had disappeared when I got the IPad happy again

Walked around the town enjoying the posters in shop windows

Then grabbed a ticket from the blue boat folks, and we were off

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 12:46 PM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #77
rockydog OP
just a guy

Aran Island

Before I got on the ferry, tho, I bopped up the road to a pub place that had this on the building

I walked in with my helmet and this guy vaulted out of a booth he was having lunch in with his family. He Googled every 70's Honda he owned and he had a gaggle of those suckers, like a cd175. And we got the color schemes too. I was running late and his 3-4 year old son grabbed my helmet, put it on his head and ran screaming out of the pub. Mother gives chase and when she hauls him in I show her a picture of some bike and tell her her husband just bought it. She grabbed a butter knife and waved it at him and said, 'buster, I'm gonna saw your balls off if you get another motorcycle'. Bliss, and this yahoo waved at me on the way out

The ferry had gone almost 100 yards and pulled up to this island, which I couldn't see cause the ramp was raised. When it plunked down we were at this rocky, bouldered beach with a bunch of folks waiting.

I look over my shoulder at the cars behind me and decide that they're going first, like an episode of Top Gear, but the folks were on a Gaelic speaking history tour of this tiny island, they boarded, and we finally arrived at Aran Island

rockydog screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 12:45 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #78
rockydog OP
just a guy

Aran isle

A lovely, quaint, robust place. 2 pubs, one with food and a big venue for music. A tiny food shop and a school for teenagers learning Gaelic. I listened to a lot of fascinating history, one hearty breed here.

Rode around the scenic loop twice, counter and clockwise, lots of beauty and a lot of this,

The wind shifted and the spot I had picked out wasn't going to work, spot I ended up in the copy would read rustic with view

On the return trip the experts got to run the hydraulics, and the special passenger got to leave first

Turned north, through Dunfanaghy, Knockduff, turned back north on R245 to Ballymichael, eventually to camp on some estate grounds in Rathmullen. Ferry this morning to Buncrana

rockydog screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 08:04 AM
Old 07-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #79
rockydog OP
just a guy

Ferry waiting

Had breakfast on the deck behind The Beachcomber Pub on their deck. No one around but last night must've been a killer

Waiting, waiting

Cruising cruising

Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #80
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
I'm humbled by your amazing voyage in such a small country and, there is me, world traveled and have not even seen a fraction of my own country.
Well done Steve. This ride report will set a standard for ADV riders in the future thinking that Ireland is not big enough to get the motor warmed up.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #81
rockydog OP
just a guy

Lagging update

Finding a wifi spot is spotty, sometimes. But, here we go...caught the ferry to Bruncanna, calm and beautiful weather. I asked a woman on the sidewalk walking her dog where a coffee shop was and she pointed over my shoulder at this huge sign reading COFFEE SHOP. Uh huh. One of the servers was singing traditional Irish songs and she called them country. I straightened her out on the country and western aspect of our stuff in the states. Told her I needed a picture for proof, she said 'sure thing, cowboy'

Down the street was a carnival

Up the road to Dunree and the small coastie roads

Then I swung over to the sidewalk outside The Persian Pub in Carndonagh to ask a pack of rogues where can I find Wifi in this burg? They said 'right here laddie'. And it was a great stop. The owner, Marion, is continuing the tradition her Mum did for 50 years, run the pub. Her Mum passed away 3 months ago and we sat in a booth talking about loss, sweet memories and the celebration called life. Marion cheering on the troops. Name comes from the original owner, 60 years ago returned from the Suez conflict and opened the joint.

The decor was very eclectic and cool, if anyone reading this is stumbling around the triangle in Carndonagh, please stop in and wish her well.

rockydog screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 01:34 AM
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #82
rockydog OP
just a guy

North to Malin Head, north, the race is on

Up the road to Malin and continue left along the coast. This small area is fantastic, every turn offers something new and the families were out on a sunny Sunday, lotta waves and honking at kids

I paralleled this ridge for awhile

Wondered if 2 bunkbeds In the parlor qualifies

Midway down the road before it starts climbing there is a left turn up over the ridge

The other side is steep and fun, I stopped by a bicyclist walking his bike the last few yards and he said, 'savage climb, savage'

On down the little roads always heading north until I reached the northernmost point in Ireland, Malin head where I met these folks. They are threatening to head to the USA next year

I encouraged them by inviting the clan waving flags and hooting for their lads finishing a marathon bicycle ride to wave them on their journey back south

Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #83
rockydog OP
just a guy

Quiet, please, I'm sleeping

Camped just down the road from Malin Head. Long day and was knackered. Returned the next morning with fresh coffee, just me, no flag wavers.

Continued along the coast East, enjoying the North Sea. just an ol'bike and rider on the Irish coast

The little speck off the pier across the water is my ferry to Northern Irelnd. I'll be the little blue pointy boat

Down to Moville for breakfast supplies. Town was jammed, cars lined up way outside the town center. There should be more Susie's Bars around, it was closed, but still...

On the way to the ferry found the breakfast spot, the sun was wunnerful, 84 degrees

Then moved to the veranda to enjoy the shade

The speck across the water turned into this

Found some little roads through the Binevanagh Forest and headed to Coleraine to chart next move. Stopped in some shade and a little ol man walked up and said, 'Honda!', I said, 'Howdy'. And he was off into Joeyland, the guy knew his bikes, his racers, his facts and I was off to the Museum in Ballymoney, then to Joey's bar for the wifi. No pics cause ya'll just gonna have to visit to appreciate the fervor this country has for road racing. Today I do the North West 200 route cause I can. Alright, one pic in the museum but just cause she absolutely refused to buy a Motobike, even a red scooter, and I tried

Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #84
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
Great stuff RD Really like how it turned out with the good deal on the ole Honda with WheatWhacker doing a nice part

You going to keep it and tour the rest of Europe or are you just staying in the Isles

Good to see a fellow Oklahoman making tracks
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #85
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Hehe, are you staying in Northern Ireland for the silly season? With this weather a bit of rioting on Friday is pretty much guaranteed ;-)

My wife and kids are on holiday until Friday night, so you are welcome to call in any afternoon/evening for any sleep/laundry/mechanical requirements.
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #86
rockydog OP
just a guy

It's a scorcher

Throttlemeister, thanks much. Enjoyed your jaunts south, will look you up when back in the flatlands. I don't know what the weather is there, but after last summer 89 Celsius over here is balmy. The beaches are packed(I know the pic is crooked, but the zoom shots arn't).

And schedule wise, depends on how many guys I meet. I asked the older gent, as he eyed my bike, 'what color is your bike?', he paused then started with, 'well, in 1945...'.

That was in Ballintoy Harbor, where they shot King of Thrones. The guy on the yellow Beemer had spent 2 weeks at the TT. It just never ends. Proof that I do equal oportunity shots of dudes and dudettes.

Spent the day on the Coast Road heading south. Jeez, I just didn't want to stop. Until it started getting cityish and I darted back inland. This guy was blatting, 'Hey look at the gumby with his glove over the lens'. I commented to a pub owner, as I was searching for wifi, 'the beaches are packed today', he said 'that's cause that's where the water is'. I found another spot

Dmcd, u gots a PM

rockydog screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 02:31 PM
Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #87
rockydog OP
just a guy

Future adventurists

I just asked the owners of the pub if there was anywhere to pitch a tent...how about behind the pub? Oh yeah. Outside I was messing with the bike and a posse of kids walked by giving me the bike sounds and laughing. I said you know what I need? A picture if ya'll on the bike. The guys said no way but this lass was ready to go

Then the rush was on, is this not fun?

rockydog screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 02:23 PM
Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #88
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568

Rockydog leaving for Sligo, about 10 minutes ago. A true Gentleman.

See you in the Isle of Man!
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #89
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Not only a gentleman, but a wise gentleman Sligo should be a bit quieter all right
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #90
rockydog OP
just a guy

Pub reprieve

Sitting in The Cozy Corner Bar in Gulladuff ready to grab my tent(owners are super friendly),when an email from dmcd/Mr K pops up, meet me by the side of such and such road in 15. 30 minutes later we're at the kitchen table pouring the good stuff and he's talking all things Mann. Next morning breakfast for us and the critters

He headed to work and I ended up atop Slieve Gallion looking through the haze over Lough Neagh, where I started out.

Had a lovely evening meal with his parents telling me about visits to Australia. His father makes these boxwood flutes, among a lot of other projects

He's playing with these guys. You want loud? And this is only 4 playing

I'll post a short video Mr K shot, and some more old Brit Bike gusto, but first a big Thank You, dmcd, for the hospitality , etc etc., cheers.

rockydog screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 02:52 PM